Wii Breaks More TVs than Elvis

Carbon nanotubes have one of the highest tensile strengths of any material known to man, which is how we know that the Wii wrist strap is not made of them. The Wii strap has been breaking at inopportune times all over the country since the Wii’s release in mid-November—and the results have been disastrous enough to warrant a few news stories and at least one blog dedicated to documenting the destruction. Because after you’ve bounced a video game controller off your laptop and into your brand new plasma tv—you’re going to take a picture. And we’re going to laugh. In all seriousness, Nintendo might have a little problem on its hands if these “accidents” are caused by a faulty wrist strap. May we suggest Kevlar next time?—MEGHANN MARCO

Wii Have A Problem
Did Wii Break Your TV [Yahoo!]

Comments

1. Alex Morse says:

This is pretty hilarious. I can’t imagine using enough force in those games to actually break the strap, throw the plastic controller across the room and break glass! I guess if you’re drunk, or manic you could break or mar a plastic rear projection screen.

I can apply quite a bit of force to the strap, I’m guessing the problem is more likely the strap slipping off, or people not using it.

2. Chione says:

Maybe people need to, ahem, secure the strap better or HOLD ON TO THE CONTROLLER.

I have not have this problem at all with my Wii, even romotely. Mine seems to stay on my wrist.
    Maybe I’m just one of the select few who can do this without trouble? =D

3. adamondi says:

Or maybe the problem is people being total spazzes. If you cannot hold onto the Wiimote, then don’t fling your arm around, spaz. It is not like the things are difficult to hold onto.

This reminds me of the people who don’t understand touchscreen keypads at checkout stands. They think that if they press harder on the touch screen, that they will get more effect, or that the touchscreen will do something that a light touch would not make it do. The same thing applies to the Wiimote. You do not need to do a full arm swing to get the accelerometers in the thing to register a quick movement. A much smaller quick motion will do the trick just as well.

All I can do is laugh. And bet that this is not actually a problem with the Wiimote strap, but a problem with the users.

4. Funkquito says:

Why are people having such a difficult time holding on to the remotes. I laugh at there stupidity. There is no reason to swing the remote like don mattingly or andre aggasi, and let alone let go off the remote.

5. acambras says:

LOL – I was in Times Square earlier this month – happened to be on the eve of the Wii’s debut. The Nintendo folks had Wii systems set up on Segways out on the sidewalk, so passersby could try out the Wii. I didn’t try it (I suck at all video games except Tetris — old school!), but I watched.

Later that night, still in Times Square, I was demonstrating to a friend how the Wiimote works. I made a grand sweeping motion with my right arm and ended up hitting a complete stranger upside the head. Fortunately, he accepted my profuse apologies.

So actually putting a Wiimote in my hand would probably be a bad idea.

6. The Unicorn says:

Still though — I don’t think it’s too much to ask that Nintendo anticipate that people are going to inevitably flail around more than is strictly necessary while using the thing. I mean, look at how many people will jerk around a non-motion-sensitive controller, like twisting it to the right during a right turn in a racing game.

I don’t have much sympathy for the people not using the strap, but I do feel bad for the people whose straps broke & who suffered significant property damage as a result. Even if they’re in the minority, it still seems like that phenomenon is occurring with far greater frequency than it should, & it doesn’t make Nintendo look all that great.

7. Falconfire says:

nintendo has no problems here. They have time and again stated that the strap is simply there to keep it from flying away with normal use…. the people breaking them ARE THROWING THE DAMN THING LIKE ITS THE SEVERED DICK OF SATAN!

The best footage out there of this is on youtube of a guy playing tennis like hes at the US Open and wondering why the thing flew out of his hands and broke the strap when he overhanded the thing like he was beating someone.

The straps fine, its the same one they use on the DS’s and its pretty tough, but throw the thing and let go of it enough and any strap is going to break. All the strap is there for is to prevent it from flying around if by chance it slips out of your hand, not to actually stop the remote if you throw the damn thing.

8. Yeah, if you’re playing a game, you’re holding the controller and pushing the buttons. I don’t understand how people let go of the damn thing, unless they moisturize profusely before playing.

I’m willing to bet that the majority of these cases are either people throwing a fit at a missed WiiGolf putt or people playing around and spinning the WiiMote around their wrists by the strap.

That said, I was watching someone play it and they were dangerously close to sticking their hand through the TV in the follow through in bowling. But that’s not strap related.

And I think Falconfire put it best: WiiMotes =/= Severed Dick of Satan.

9. Chione says:

@adamondi:
    I agree completely.
    I have found, especially in Wii Sports, that it’s actually EASIER to use small movements. I get more control anyway, and it’s less tiring.
    I have found in my experience that Nintendo stuff is pretty durable, and as long as you don’t spaz out like you said, people shouldn’t have a problem keeping the Wiimote in their hand and out of their TV screens.

10. Hitchcock says:

To anyone wondering how this happens, Penny Arcade created a detailed illustration…

But seriously, you don’t need to be flailing your arms about. Any game for the Wii can be played with only minor wrist movement.

11. kcskater says:

Thanks Hitchcock! I was about to post the same link! But in response to your final thought, I give you this:

There’s a line between personal and corporate responsibility. This issue happens to be on the side of personal responsibility.