Hotels: Nature’s Free Blogging Oases

PINEVILLE, NC – This morning we blogged from a Best Western just down the road Best Buy. The hotel came in really handy, as our diagram illustrates.

The doors were locked when we first showed up around 5:15 but an employee let us in. She asked if we were a guest and we said yes.

Then we helped ourselves to the free wifi, coffee, juice, bagels & cream cheese, and bathroom.

Next time we’re out blogging and there’s nary a wifi cafe to be found, we’ll be sure to keep an eye out for such a cheapskate’s oasis. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. you win. You’re even cheaper than me.

2. Juancho says:

Ben, I don’t have a problem with using the WiFi and the bathroom. After all, the lobby of a hotel is a public place, ostensibly. This is especially useful in nice hotels in a big city.

However, I draw the line at the food, and the lying. The food is for paying guests, which you were not. A stunt like that reeks of college-era lack of funds.

3. jstimson says:

Have to agree with Juancho above. What you are doing by taking (stealing) the food is driving up the hotel costs which eventually end up getting passed on to paying hotel guests (like me).

This is a Consumerist site and keeping a watchful eye out for responsible and proper corporate behavior should also be extended to keeping that same eye out for responsible and proper consumer behavior.

(hmm, danger that I double posted this)

4. Solo says:

Hotel lobbies are not public places, they are privately owned with access granted to some public: guests and their visitors.

Public places are more like roads and national forests.

And yes, lying is bad, m’kay. Then again, best western is overpriced, so it evens out :)

5. crackblind says:

I’ve taken advantage of wifi and bathrooms for years. Never had the balls to go after the food. Best thing is once I needed directions so I pulled my car into the front of a motel, accessed teh wifi & was on my way. The sickest part is wifi is free in the cheapo motels and costs up the wazoo in the more expensive hotels.

6. WayToGo says:

Wow, what you’ve described is nothing less than theft.
    You can’t just decide to take something from a company because you feel like their prices are too high. As a member or user of this web site, you have the resources to find a better deal. If you find a better deal, maybe you won’t feel compelled to take what isn’t yours…

7. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I suppose I’d have to take the middle ground. I draw the line at bumming around a hotel lobby claiming to be a guest when I’m really not.

Use the bathrooms…sure…hop on the WiFi from the parking lot to check my e-mail, sure, the rest….I wouldn’t do it. Is a hotel lobby a public place? I don’t think so. It’s for customers, and I’m pretty sure ten people couldn’t walk into a hotel lobby and pitch a tent. (Hello..legal type people..how about some input?)

Which isn’t to say most of the hotels don’t deserve people living in their lobby and eating their free food, since they charge $4.50 for a bottle of water, $2.00 for a soda, and 13.50 for a cheeseburger at the hotel restaurant. I have yet to see a hotel with a reasonably priced restaurant.

And, the comment about cheap hotels giving free Wi-Fi and the expensive places charging you for it seems to be true. I just stayed at a Hyatt in IL last week, and it was $10 for 24 hours. Most other cheaper places I’ve been, it’s complimentary.

8. It is interesting that the cheaper motels do free WiFi, and the expensive places charge. I thought all Marriot’s had free Internet Access, but then I was at an expensive Marriot in Baltimore and I paid. sigh.

9. Mr. Gunn says:

Oh noes! Stealing crappy-ass frozen bagels is wrong! Seriously, if they cared, they would have asked for his key.

10. RumorsDaily says:

Lying makes it seem bad. However, if you just wander in and take advantages of the bounty that awaits inside, I’ve got no problem with it. Hotels are awesome for that. I sat by the pool at a nearby hotel for an hour once waiting for an interview that I arrived too early for. It was great.

11. Morton Fox says:

I’ve used hotel restrooms before, back when I used to go into NYC and there weren’t too many public restrooms around. (also did that in Philly) But I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I got free breakfast under false pretenses.

12. Ben Popken says:

I lied to get access to their electrical outlet. The breakfast was just gravy.