Best Buyers Reward For Working Today: Free Burger King

PINEVILLE, NC – When we reached the Best Buy checkout, we asked the clerk what time they made her get there that morning. “4:30″ she said.

“Do they give you bonuses or anything for working on Black Friday?” She looked at us blankly. “…or a free hat maybe?”
“It’s just Black Friday, it’s not like it’s… we got free Burger King,” she said.
“Oh, that’s nice of them.”
“No, it’s not. I hate Burger King.” — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Trae says:

No one appreciates the people who wake their asses up at 4:30am just so you can save $15 on a DVD player.

2. viriiman says:

Just hung up the phone w/ my g/f who still works there. She had to be in for 3 AM.

What did she get? Blimpie for lunch, which she hates. No pay bonuses, no nothing. And this is for working an 18 hour shit for just today.

I’d love to see what would happen if retailers really had to pay their (retail) employees what their worth: time and a half

3. Dustbunny says:

“working an 18 hour shit for just today”

Hah! Best Freudian slip of the day : )

4. SuperNoxic says:

The people waiting in line got a better deal than that at a Best Buy in Austin: Chick-fil-A was out there at 3:00 a.m. passing out free chicken biscuits and orange juice, and everyone got a coupon for free lunch.

5. viriiman says:

Ya know, I wrote it, and had to reread it twice before I realized what I wrote.

It might as well be an 18 hour shit.

6. Kornkob says:

*shrug* Seem to me that an employer willing to buy you lunch on a busy day isn’t bad thing—just because you don’t *like* what is offered doesn’t make it a nice thing for the employer to do.

Many, many retailers (and other non-retail workers) get nothing extra for working today—at least some employer are doing something nice. Whining because they didn’t get everyone exactly what they wanted just seems childish to me.

It also seems to me that working hard when it is busy is part of the deal with having a job.

7. Kornkob says:

“-just because you don’t *like* what is offered doesn’t make it a nice thing for the employer to do.”

let me rephrase: …just because someone doesn’t like what the employer offers doesn’t change the fact that it was a nice thing for them to do.

8. viriiman says:

Kornkob: It is a nice thing for the employer to do. However, it’s not enough for the employer to do on a day like today.

9. Agreed Kornkob. They tried to do right, and you never make everyone happy.

10. Kornkob says:

“Working hard when it’s busy is a part of the job, but everyday isn’t as busy as “black friday”.”

Yep— but every job has crappy days. That’s part of the deal when you’re gainfully employed. At least with retail most of the crappiest days are predictable. It’s not like the employer is surprising them with crappy day—they are ‘surprising’ them by doing something nice. Whining because you don’t like what extras are offered is childish.

Again- most retail jobs get nothing extra at all-even on black Friday.

11. Ben Popken says:

Cody writes:

“I work at Gap Outlet and my particular store opens at 12am Friday ( Thanksgiving night) because apparently cheap-ass clothes (in quality and price) on sale is totally worth shopping in the middle of the night for. If that weren’t bad enough, our store manager has made a goal for everybody to help increase sales 3% above the forecasted amount for the holiday season. The amount they “need” to earn is about $1.7 million dollars from Black Friday through January 1st and our reward for increasing sales 3% above that is 40 rewards points for each employee. Instead of giving out real incentives for things like signing people up for credit cards or just plain hard work they give us useless points usually in quantities of about 20 to 40 when the average number of points for redemption is at least 200 points. If you do the math, 3% of 1.7 million is $51,000 of extra money for the corporation and our incentive is 40 whole points that are completely worthless. Instead of giving its employees true motivation and generosity with say a small bonus on a paycheck they choose to dangle a carrot in front of our faces to keep us try to earn more and more points. By the time you have enough to redeem something, you have worked your ass off for an item of value around $50 or so. I love corporate America!”

12. Kishi says:

That’s Burger King more than I got. I work at a Dillard’s, and the only thing we got was a “Hey, you can have a potluck in the break room so you don’t have to leave the store to eat.” I would have appreciated some lunch on the company’s dime.

13. lifetentatively says:

I worked best buy last black friday and I wouldn’t complain. Anything over 8 hours was paid time and a half and anyone who came in for the super early shift got free breakfast (dunkin donuts) and anyone who came in on the afternoon shift got lunch (some pizza), the late shift got left over pizza as it wasn’t busy at all. If you had happened to have worked the morning into the afternoon, you got 2 free meals, 2 breaks and time and a half for the extra hours. Best Buy isn’t as evil to their employees as everyone makes it out to be.

14. Trae says:

lifetentatively – it depends on which BB you work at. A store’s managers, along with district and regional staff make all of the difference.

15. Trae says:

(And don’t get me started on the ludicrous nature of the “Customer Based Scheduling System” which leaves you guessing at your own work schedule sometimes until the friday before the next week you’re working)

16. viriiman says:

Kornkob: Work at my specific Best Buy, then we’ll talk.

17. HawkWolf says:

I think that black friday is assinine, and so I think making employees come in at 4am in the morning (and thus wake up at 3am) is assinine, and no amount of subway (which apparently gave my boyfriend food poisoning) or burger king is going to change that.

You want to put something on sale? Put it on sale. Don’t whip up a frenzy where people fight, others are forced to work ridiculous hours, just for coveted plasma effing TVs.

• ShizaMinelli says:

@HawkWolf: They do what brings in business. Corporate can’t be blamed for their customers being stupid enough to come in at ridiculous times.

18. Hangemhi says:

I work at Best Buy. On black friday I got there at 4 a.m., clocked out at 4:15 p.m., and got free Sonny’s BBQ for lunch. I guess it really depends what store you work at, MY store is a great place to work.

19. Amry says:

Are you kidding me? If you can’t deal with the crazy hours and busy Holiday season, don’t work in retail. Even now, going into my 11th Holiday season in retail, I am amazed by the number of people who willingly take a job in this industry and then complain about the hours/customers/Holiday season/etc. These people aren’t being “forced” to come in early – they agreed to work these shifts when they took the job and gave their employer their hours of availability. Maybe this mindset is why customer service is so hard to come by in this country?

Also, the Gap Rewards system Cody bashes is awesome – when I left Gap in 2004, I cashed in my points and left with an entire set of cookware and some workout equipment. The key with the rewards system is that you had to go above and beyond to earn points – so it is essentially a performance-based incentive plan for employees. I don’t see what’s so evil about that.

20. Coder4Life says:

That is just terrible, and it not only best buy that treats their employees like crap on BF. CompUSA made thier employees work THANKGIVING DAY 9-1am. Then Black Friday 5am – 4pm.

Yes, they got a whole 4 hours to sleep and get back to work.

21. Coder4Life says:

Yes, that is just terrible. No people are not exactly complaining they are just looking for some respect and some reward for working long hours with rude customers many times.

If Best buy isnt bad, take a look at COMPUSA. They made their employees work 8pm – 1am THANKSGIVING DAY. Then made the same people come back at 5am and work (5am – 4pm). Yes thats right, insane CORRECT?

Their reward: Free Pizza or Sub Sandwiches.
    Their Staff: 5 – 10 employees on the sales floor per shift. Yes they are probably going out of business.

22. What about the people who had to make breakfast for the retail employees going in at 4am? My sister had to go back to work at 2am to make pizzas for Walmart.

23. tspack says:

I would certainly hate to be working retail on Black Friday, and I have no doubt that it sucks mightily (which is why I did what I could to avoid it when I was in college and retail was my main job option), but I’m afraid I can’t work up much outrage at employers that don’t do a whole lot more than, you know, pay the employees like they’re supposed to. It’s what they were hired to do. It’s not as though Black Friday was an unexpected part of the job; it happens every year.