HOWTO: Cook a Turducken

A turducken, in case you don’t know, is a turkey stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken. We know. Fantastic idea. Anyway, turducken is the stuff of legends, so we thought we’d try to help the dream become reality with a few links to some turducken HOWTO action. Thanksgiving isn’t until tomorrow! There’s still time for turducken! —MEGHANN MARCO

Paula Deen’s Turducken Recipe [Food Network]
WikiHow Turducken [Wikihow]
Wikipedia Turducken
…and for lazy people: Have an original Turducken over-nighted to you.

Comments

1. Clare says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love meat. But I fail to see how Turducken is in the least bit appetizing. For me, the whole point of eating duck is the crispy, crispy skin. The fat renders out and you’re left with gloriously crispy skin. This seems like a recipe for fatty, rubbery, chicken and duck skin.

2. homerjay says:

Oh yeah, that looks appetising. This thing is way more work than its worth.

3. Yozzie says:

True, you lose the crispy skin of the duck, but it sacrifices itself for moister turkey and seriously melt-in-the-mouth chicken. And if you do a sausage stuffing, then you get four kinds of meat in one eerie boneless wrapper, which is something even Hardee’s/Carl Jr.’s can’t beat.

The first time my dad got one of these for Christmas, I thought he’d lost his mind, but the proof is definitely in the eating.

4. Triteon says:

Yozzie– seconded!

5. JeffreyK says:

The year was 1964, and the Trashmen said… I quote:

Well don’t you know about the bird?
    Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
    A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word.

6. etinterrapax says:

Wow. I’d try it, but only if someone else does all the work.

7. Datacloud says:

Turducken is the ultimate culinary experience in my estimation. It must be consumed to be understood. I had one a couple of years ago stuffed with andouille sausage and jambalaya.

Mmmmm mmmm bitch!

8. Datacloud says:

Mmmmm mmmm bitch!

9. Sudonum says:

When I moved to New Orleans several years ago I was tempted to try one of these, so I bought one that had been “assembled” buy a local butcher. I cooked it for my wife’s family, all native New Orleanians. None of us were impressed. It was moist, not sure if it was brined or if it was all of the grease from the duck. But there was just too much cayenne in the stuffing that carried over to the meat. If you don’t like the heat, shop around, some places offer different stuffings, or do it yourself.

10. SpecialK says:

Don’t dis the turducken till you’ve tried it. And, if I remember correctly, the skin is taken off of the duck before it’s shoved in the there. It’s scrumdilicious and easy to make if you buy it elsewhere. I’ve had luck with Cajungrocer.com, but you ain’t getting it by tomorrow at this stage in the game.

Also worth trying… the quaduckant… which is sort of written in reverse order of quail in a duck in a pheasant.

Between this and Fried Turkey, I think my home state should be given a medal (or at least some free bonus points on those worst educated lists).

11. North of 49 says:

A crazy canuck did Turducken for his family one year… Just look at that knife wielding maniac.

12. biggeek says:

That picture looks like they’re preparing to cook a headcrab from Half Life 2.