Breastfeeding Protesters Target Airlines

They’re at it again according to USA Today: “Carrying signs with slogans such as “Best in-flight meal ever,” scores of mothers breast-fed their babies at airports around the country Tuesday in a show of support for a woman who was ordered off a plane for nursing her daughter without covering up.”

Simultaneous protests were held in Vermont; Boston; Las Vegas; Columbus, Ohio; Nashville; Harrisburg, Pa.; Hartford, Conn.; Albuquerque; and Louisville.

“On Oct. 13, Emily Gillette, 27, of Santa Fe, was ordered off a Freedom Airlines plane about to take off from the Burlington airport after a flight attendant asked her to cover up while she was breast-feeding her year-old daughter.

She had been sitting on the New York-bound plane — which was three hours late in leaving — when she began nursing. The flight attendant handed her a blanket, but she refused it. She was removed from the plane along with her husband and child.

The airline later disciplined the unidentified employee. ” In many states, including New York, it’s illegal to prevent a woman from breastfeeding (or ask her to cover up or move) in a location open to the public. Viva lactation. —MEGHANN MARCO

Nursing moms rally at airports [USA Today]

Comments

1. Kornkob says:

This reminds me of another breast feeding article from here in Madison.
    This woman wanted access to a first aid station because she didn’t like the bathroom options she had (she couldn’t find one of the family bathrooms they have outfitted with changing statiosn and other kid care facilities– no mention if she asked for help finding one)

On another note related to the NY rules: I wonder about other aspects of this. Could someone get arrested for ‘harrassment’ because they watched a mom breast feed (because some infantile men are alwasy looking for that glimpse of the forbidden boobie)? What about laws related to ‘decency’ and how they’d relate to someone snapping a pic or making a video of someone publically going through the process of breast feeding?

I couldn’t care less where people breast feed but don’t think that any organization should be forced to allow someone to come into their facility to breast feed if they are not also there to use the facilities as intended (ie– a resturant should be allowed to send the mom who isn’t eating there packing without fear of reprisals— if you aren’t a customer then you have no real right to use the facility). I guess it kinda depends on what ‘open to the public’ means.

2. Triteon says:

So Freedom Airlines (nice misnomer) removed the Gillette family because mom was nursing on a plane, thinking…what? That fewer people would see her in the terminal than on the plane? aside from the illegality that Meghann referred to, the airline’s action was downright illogical.

3. Magister says:

Remember, this is the same country that collective shat itself when Janet flashed a boob. We have huge portions of the country that believe the Earth is less than 6k years old. Can you really expect logic?

4. miss_smartypants says:

Frankly (and speaking as a woman), I think this woman’s actions a little infantile. Breastfeeding makes many people uncomfortable, and in the close confined space of an airplane my sympathy for fellow passengers outweighs my respect for the woman’s right to feed her child when/where she finds it most appropriate to do so. In this circumstance as in many of these silly nurse-in stories, the woman seems to have been offered and denied a perfectly legitimate compromise of covering up a bit with a blanket, a solution that would have respected her right to breastfeed with sensitivity to the rights of other passengers as well.

This “I can do whatever I want because it’s my right and you can’t interfere with my personal liberty” movement is all well and good, but I don’t see that it ought to be carried so far that we become a nation of selfish, inconsiderate little children thinking “me, me, me!” all the time – losing all manners. It’s just too much, and at the moment in a story where the “hero” has denied a *reasonable* compromise in order to assert their “right” to impose their views, actions, personal space, etc. on others I just can’t defend their actions. Sure, you can breastfeed in public, no dispute there, but this is not an excuse to act like a brat.

I’m sure this is going to open me up to censure and attack from people saying “she shouldn’t have to cover up”. Nope, she shouldn’t HAVE to, but if she is a mature enough adult to have a child she ought to be in a mindframe of teaching that child manners, sensitivity, sharing and consideration for others.

5. retailwhore says:

I have no problem with the stand taken by these mothers. By this same logic, maybe gay couples shouldn’t hold hands in public, so that they don’t offend anybody’s sensibilities. After all, they don’t have to hold hands. Also, maybe they could cover their enjoined hands under a blanket or something, so as not to draw any attention to their gay gay love. Why can’t they stop being so childish and think about the discomfort they’ll be causing homophobes who could be watching?

Maybe this woman’s child doesn’t respond well to being covered with a blanket while feeding. Maybe she just didn’t feel like she had anything to hide. If the other passengers had a problem with this, why didn’t they just look away until it was over?

There are a lot of things that people do that could legitimately be described as inappropriate public behavior, but breastfeeding shouldn’t be counted among them. If your child is hungry and this is how you feed him or her, why should you a) have to cover your evil boobs or 2) seclude yourself in a yucky bathroom?

If I find the sight of a person breastfeeding her child uncomfortable, the problem lies entirely within me.

6. Kornkob says:

Miss Smarty— interesting point, really. I think that in some respects that same point could be carried over into about half of the articles posted to this blog. How many times has there been a story here where either a employee or a customer was rude, inconsiderate or just plain selfish towards another person?

7. formergr says:

And actually, witnesses to the incident reported that at no time was her breast, much less the oh so sinful nipple, even showing. So asking her to drape a blanket over her baby’s head was completely unnecessary.

It is quite possible to breastfeed without covering your baby in a blanket or cloth, and still not show breast or nip. The baby’s ginormous head usually will block view of the breast…

8. I’m with Miss_smartypants on this one.

I don’t mind breasts…but seeing a child breastfeeding is kind of gross…(that’s MY problem according to retailwhore)

Just because you think your child is god’s gift from heaven and it’s a perfectly natural thing to breastfeed and it’s your “right”, doesn’t mean that I want to have to “look away” while taking my flight… I’ll make you a deal, I’ll refrain from trimming nose hair and clipping my toe nails while on the plane, and you refrain from breastfeeding.

9. MeOhMy says:

“Seems to me that a little preparation with a pump and a bottle could have avoided all this hassle in the first place.”

You guys have all lost sight of the issue – a human breast generally contains more than 3 oz of liquid, and it sure as heck won’t fit in a quart-sized ziptop bag. Hey, rules are rules, right? I guess she could have pumped ahead of time, but it would be hard to fit the 3 oz bottles plus ice in the ziptop bag :-)

People should stop worrying about the nursing and go back to reading their Harlequin Romance novel or violent, sex-filled movie or video game – that’s surely less offensive.

I’d take 100 quietly suckling babes on my flight over a single screaming hungry baby, that’s for sure.

10. formergr says:

If you pump, then you have to refrigerate. And as the article says, the mother’s flight was delayed 3 hours, so how was she supposed to have kept the pumped milk cold? In a cooler with an ice pack? Oh, wait, those turn to liquid, so they wouldn’t be allowed on the plane. Hm, guess she had no choice then.

For those disgusted by seeing a baby breastfeed– it’s my experience that you have to be pretty close and be looking quite hard at the right angle to actually see the baby sucking. So my question is, why are you staring so closely to her boobie, hmm?

11. B says:

Kornkob: I’m no lawyer, but it is my understanding that a woman breastfeeding in public would have no expectation of privacy, and therefor it’s legal to stare or even take a picture/video. It’s the same principal that allows for people to take those “upskirt” or “downshirt” pictures you’ll find all over the internet.

12. MeOhMy says:

Sorry if this gets double-posted.

The problem is that breasts are more than 3 oz and are hard to fit in a quart-sized ziptop bag. Sorry – rules are rules. The flight attendant offering her the blanket was standing in the way of the TSAs mission. She’s lucky they didn’t both get a one way ticket to Gitmo :-)

Pumping ahead of time isn’t a good solution because you’ve still got the 3oz/quart-sized bag, and you don’t want it at room temperature for hours.

All those offended or grossed out should just turn their attention back to their morally superior in-flight entertainment which surely does not include profanity, sex, violence, or the presence of uncovered furniture legs.

Here’s the question I pose – would you rather have 100 quietly suckling babies, or one hungry crying baby?

13. Elara says:

retailwhore is right- if someone has a problem with it, it’s just that- their problem, not the problem of the person who is performing said action. There are a lot of things I don’t “want” to see, so I just don’t look. You’d be hard pressed to see the actual breast anyway during breastfeeding. And on an aiplane, it’d be even harder unless you were sitting in the mom’s lap.

For people who haven’t been in this situation: You can’t just replace a breast with a bottle. Many babies won’t take bottles when they’re breastfed. And with a small baby (though this one was older) they need to eat every 3 hours or so- so it’s either feed them where you are, or live like a hermit. And you can’t just toss a blanket over a baby. Some of them are okay with it, some of them hate it. Would you rather have a screaming, hungry, pissed-off baby on a plane, or risk seeing the top part of a boob for 10 minutes? While I was never comfortable feeding my daughter in public, (mostly because there are some seriously creepy guys out there who think it’s a giant turn on) I applaud those women who don’t mind it.

Now, I do think these women are being kinda silly, but for a different reason. The airline already stated the airline attendant was wrong, and has been disciplined. So it was a mistake on one person’s part. I don’t see a point in demonstrating for something that was clearly a mistake and has already been resolved.

14. To those who are of the mindset of “If you don’t like it, look away”, please identify yourself when on a plane. I’d like to play with myself and won’t mind pulling it out in public. After all, it’s my right to do so. Right?

Wrong. Ever hear of the phrase, “The right to throw a punch ends where my nose begins”? People in this country have rights, but that means they have to be responsible enough to use it.

Consider this. Would you be confortable with some guy staring at your child feeding off your brest? After all, they have a right to look and they also have a right to take a picture of you in you are in a public place. Do you feel confortable with that?

Next time I see a woman brestfeeding without any concern about covering it up or even trying to be discrete about it, I’m going to take a picture and stare. Perhaps people will get the point eventually.

15. formergr says:

Good point, Elara, on the women protesting something that has already been (imo) appropriately dealt with by terminating the offending employee.

One thing I forgot to mention– breastfeeding on a plane is a *great* way to equalize pressure in a baby’s ears. Which means less crying/screaming on take-off and landing, something which I think everyone agrees is a good thing! :)

16. etinterrapax says:

I just breastfed through two transcontinental flights, and had not even a second glance from staff or passengers. And I wouldn’t have done it if there had been another way. I was limited in the amount of liquid I could bring on the flight, and my baby was too small for solids (not even to mention that feeding a young baby solids on a plane is a hell of a lot ickier than showing an inch of skin). People who mentioned refrigeration issues are right–you have to bring a cooler if you’re going to do that–and this woman had no way of knowing that her flight would be delayed so long. I can’t speak for all babies, but mine wouldn’t nurse with a blanket over his head, and believe me, I’ve tried. I’m not a fan of public breastfeeding myself. I don’t care if other people do it, but I don’t like to do it. I try not to make other people uncomfortable.

But I still don’t like the nurse-ins, for exactly this reason. It leads people to assume that all nursing moms are being defiant, looking for negative attention to exploit it, and lactivist nutjobs. This is not the way to solve the problem, and putting that family off the plane for this reason was unconscionable and deserves remedy.

17. Sheik says:

Aparently

18. Sheik says:

Apparently its rude and selfish to breastfeed you hungry baby in public. But its not rude or selfish to whine about how an exposed body part offends you or makes you uncomfortable. Seems a little backwards. And what exactly makes you uncomfortable about breasts?

“doesn’t mean that I want to have to “look away” while taking my flight”

I don’t think the mother was trying to feed the baby in your lap. No you shouldn’t have to look away. But you could at least mind your own business.
    No offense to you crayon Im simply using your phrasing to make a point.

19. “No you shouldn’t have to look away. But you could at least mind your own business.”

Again, I refer to the whole “Masterbating in public” arguement. Can you “mind your own buisness” with someone playing with himself sitting next to you?

20. formergr says:

I think it’s awesome that breastfeeding has now been been equated to public masturbation. Get your mind out of the gutter, breastfeeding has nothing to do with sex.

21. Echodork says:

Breastfeeding should be done in private, in a nonvisible location, or under a blanket.

And that goes for my wife and one-month-old daughter as well.

22. Magister says:

I am wondering where I can buy a ticket to this airline. We have the chick with the boob out, some dude polishing the dolphin, the guy with the camera out taking the upskirt and breast feeding pics… All while offending the uptight Baptist… That would be fun flight.

23. Metschick says:

I’m all for women breastfeeding in public. I breastfed my baby for a year, and in that time we twice flew to Florida. Both round-trip flights went off without a hitch, since I breastfed the baby in the space provided int eh bathroom before getting on the plane. However, I was lucky, because those flights are only 2.5 hours, and my baby did take a bottle.

The thing with longer flights is that even if you pump before you leave, your breasts do begin to fill with milk again, and if you don’t feed or express, it hurts! And the blanket over the baby doesn’t always work, because some babies just don’t like that. I’d like to think most women are discreet, and aren’t all “HERE’S MY BOOBIES, Y’ALL!” Except for my cousin. But she’s crazy.

24. miss_smartypants says:

Responding to the “in public” argument I want to point out that my original comments are not tailored to simply being in a public space – in the park, even in the toy store, where I am free to move away and travel freely if I am uncomfortable. However, in a plane, when we each have about 18″ of personal space, or in an elevator or on a bus or train where I am NOT free to simply leave – I absolutely think it is inconsiderate for the mother to be unwilling to take ANY step to be respectful of surrounding trapped bystanders because the mother has made the decision that my discomfort is inappropriate. It’s certainly not about the chance of seeing some nip, but about respect for others and the discomfort that many people (particularly those who are not parents) might feel if strapped into a seat within inches of some squirmy baby who smells like poop gargling breast milk. I think the particular distinguishing line here can simply be common f’ing sense, and I guess the questionable issue here is whether we can trust other adult Americans to apply it at all (I’m assuming no, since some posters here can’t see how holding hands and breastfeeding might be different).

25. cindel25 says:

White women got too much time on their hands. This reminded me of the Breastfeeding protest over at Live Journal parent company over a breastfeeding icon.

26. formergr says:

miss_smartypants, I’m not challenging your opinion when I ask this (because after all it’s your opinion that you absolutely have a right to), but just trying to understand. If it’s not, as you say, about the chance of seeing some nip but instead about hearing a baby with a smelly diaper gargling breast milk, how is that different from same smelly baby being fed from a bottle right next to you?

Obviously no sane person would be super excited about being seated/trapped next to the infant, but is it really different hearing him gargle breast milk versus bottle milk? Either way his diaper smells if he poops, and he will likely cry at some point…

27. Sheik says:

Phil Vector, I’m pretty sure that whackin’ it on the plane or in any other public forum is illegal and for good reason. However, the crux of this arguemenet is that breastfeeding IS legal in public. I fail to see the comparison.

28. After discussing this with a friend of mine who is a parent, I have to come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding on an airplane.

Besides the regulations preventing mothers from bringing sufficient quantities of milk, a child has trouble flying. If the choice is between a screaming sick baby and a nipple sucking quiet one, it’s definately the lesser of two evils.

You can chalk it up as just another annoyance of being in a confined space with other human beings, like body odor, cold symptoms, snoring, etc.

Doesn’t mean that I want to be around a breastfeeding mother though, but I think that has more to do with not wanting to be around children, than about the act itself.

29. nikoniko says:

Sheesh.

Babies have to eat. Mothers’ breasts are full of the most nutritious food available for babies, and it isn’t practical to remove and store this food ahead of a flight.

I don’t care whether one believes in a God, in evolution, some combination of the two, or something else completely, or nothing at all — the female breast exists first and foremost for feeding babies. Women have used them for such for thousands of years, and all other meaning we attach to them does not diminish what they are biologically designed to do.

If the sight of a child eating disgusts you or makes you uncomfortable, you seriously have some deep issues. Shame on you for expecting others to accomodate your neuroses.

30. gypsychk says:

As a mother of four who breast fed all of them, let me point out a couple of things:

(1) I get NO JOY from nursing my children in public. If I’m nursing in public it’s because I have to. If I can find a reasonable place to do it privately, I will do so. Since many women breast feed their children, and since most of us do not witness it on a daily basis, can we agree that most women do their best to do it privately?

(2) Nursing a child while covering him with a blanket is easier said than done, son. Boobs don’t produce, to my knowledge, heroin. Squirmy kids remain squirmy kids, even while nursing. Cover that kid with a blanket and you have a squirmy, hungry kid who thinks he’s drowning.

(3) When I first breast fed in public (see #1), I figured I’d offend the people I think of as most easily offended by nipples: little old churchgoing ladies. Guess what? They’re the most sympathetic, in my experience. The people who seem to be most offended by it? Women in their early 20s in low-rise jeans with their thongs hanging out.

Missing from this account of Emily Gillette’s story is the claim (reported elsewhere) that she was sitting in the window seat in back of the plane, out of sight of any other passengers. And that Delta called her specifically to tell her the company “does not take responsibility for this.” Delta does not plan to issue it’s support for breastfeeding women in writing, which means this could, conceivably, happen again.

31. Antediluvian says:

Okay people, give it a rest.

The TSA clarified the regs some time after the ban on liquids went into effect. It was the first question I asked, esp. for travellers returning to the US from the UK.

The TSA regs specifically allow greater than 3oz amounts of baby formula or pumped breast milk to be brought on board a flight.

As long as the passenger is also bringing an infant on board.

Unfair? Discuss.

However, I did get my Astroglide through security just fine.

32. Antediluvian says:

Upon re-reading, I mean give the discussion about only 3oz of breast milk being allowed on a plane a rest. That’s just not true.

Feel free to discuss the act of breastfeeding on a plane as long as you’d like.

The Astroglide wasn’t involved in any on-plane experiences, so I can’t speak to that personally.

33. Triteon says:

…the female breast exists first and foremost for feeding babies.
    I can agree with that. I don’t have a problem with breast-feeding at all. Of all the instinctive actions babies take this is the least offensive to me.
    I would like to add that the breasts as a “unit” exist first and foremost for holding dollar bills.

34. Triteon says:

Oh, and Meghann– shouldn’t the tag be “breastfeeding”??

35. Meg Marco says:

Si. Gracias.

36. miss_smartypants says:

In response to questions about understanding my opinion, neither I nor most people are made uncomfortable by a child being bottle fed next to me (or, while I find proximity to others’ spawn in a confined place extremely annoying, sometimes you have to draw a line and I’m willing enough to draw it there) but I am uncomfortable in the immediate presence of a breastfeeding child – be the mother one of my sisters, a friend or otherwise. You might as well ask me to explain why blood bothers me but ketchup doesn’t, because I can’t answer either – it’s jsut my feelings, and not all feelings are logically rational.

All are welcome to disagree, but I think that many people feel the way I do and the single individual ought to yield in that circumstance. Many are quick to say “The blanket bothers the baby” – well then go in the bathroom, suck it up rather than inflicting it on me. Others say “The bathroom is gross and icky,” well, again, many people find breastfeeding gross and icky. At some point I have to think the refusal to accept any of these or other options is just silly, get over it and compromise at some point. If one doesn’t work, try another.

Having said that, and standing by all my feelings, it does sound like further details in the story illustrate that the mother we’re discussing DID in fact make some kind of effort at privacy or consideration for others, or was trying to compromise and be respectful, etc. Frankly, it appears now like she did basically all I’m suggesting ought to be done – balance her needs with decent manners.

37. Ben Popken says:

The real issue is not whether or not breastfeeding makes others feel uncomfortable, it’s that the mother was thrown off the plane. That is unreasonable and that is why the employee was disciplined.

Those equating public breastfeeding with public masturbation… grow up.

38. Charmander says:

Note to miss_smartypants: Try this next time: LOOK AWAY if it offends you so much. Really. You can’t be offended by something you don’t see, right?

I’m truly amazed that this woman was asked to leave the plane. I’ve breastfed many a time on planes without any incident – but always on Southwest, though. Delta needs to get their act together and come up with a written policy.

39. miss_smartypants says:

Note to mamlicious: TRY THIS NEXT TIME, learn to read and apply that skill to my comments, which clearly state that my exact issue is when this would occur when I am STRAPPED IN AN AIRPLANE SEAT, trapped in the immediate vicinity as opposed to in a public place where I have the capability to get as far from you as I can. Want to breastfeed while I’m trapped next to you? GO TO THE BATHROOM.

40. gypsychk says:

miss_smartypants, as Ben has pointed out, the issue is whether someone’s inexplainable discomfort with breast feeding is enough to warrant another person’s expulsion from an airplane.

I get that you’re uncomfortable. I’ve been in the presence of the face-to-face equivalent of your all caps frustration at not being able to be the boss of me, my boobies, and my children. Sometimes it’s the person who’s yelling, “I don’t know why, but I would prefer it if you SAT ON A PUBLIC TOILET AND FED YOUR INFANT!” who is being unreasonable.

Very rarely when I’ve had to breastfeed in public have I had an angry throng after me. It’s usually one person, maybe two, and the glares are unnecessarily vicious. On the one occasion when someone had the balls to say something to me (which I admired), two other people started yelling at the first person, and it all became quite good fun. All this to say: I’d question whether everyone feels quite as strongly as you do, my dear.

41. Charmander says:

You can still look away whether you are strapped into an airplane seat next to a nursing mother, or on the other side of the aisle.

Do you routinely read the magazine your seatmate is reading or stare at the computer laptop he/she might be using because you are somehow UNABLE to pull your eyes away?

42. Charmander says:

It really is possible to avert your eyes for the 10 min or so that you would have to endure this offensive suckling.

I’m curious – do you routinely read the magazine your seatmate is reading or stare at the laptop he/she may be using because you are somehow physically unable to pull your eyes away from the person next to you?

43. Anonymously says:

How does the TSA know that those sippy-sacs aren’t filled with potentially explosive substances?

44. gypsychk says:

GregP, please: I much prefer the term “fun bags,” and mine are dy-no-mite.

45. krakbuste says:

OMG – is everyone forgetting the first thing: the child was 22 MONTHS OLD. For the mathematically challenged that is almost 2. I’m no quack, but me thinks this is a bit odd. But it is from Vermont, they are a bit granola up there. Maybe that makes perfect sense. Oh if some smartass woman thinks that this is perfectly okay, your children will prove me right. go buy a bottle for god sake. (I know I may have offended many readers, just deal with it…………granola)

46. North of 49 says:

The ones we find that are offended by our female half nursing our children isn’t just the 20 somethings or the grey hairs, but the ones who couldn’t or rather wouldn’t breastfeed. And worse, they verbally have attacked her, and twice physically, for breastfeeding. Then there’s the entire “don’t you dare make me feel guilty for bottlefeeding” venom that has been spewed at her. But does she get sympathy for mastitis, teeth at 4 months, being soaked from nipples to knees and other problems? Nope. Every time she encounters a problem with her ability to nurse, she’s told immediately by the formula feeders that its time for her to give and use formula.

Our three kids have been breastfed. She even tandemed the first two. Our newest is 7 weeks old and is just getting into her stride. She plans on breastfeeding for at least as long as the other ones, and no amount of harrassment will stop her.

47. OMG – is everyone forgetting the first thing: the child was 22 MONTHS OLD. For the mathematically challenged that is almost 2. I’m no quack, but me thinks this is a bit odd.

1) The age of the child is irrelavant to the discussion, which is whether it is reasonable to throw breast-feeding mothers off an airplane.

2) Oddness is relative: in some countries children drink breast milk for years (it protects against malaria for one thing).

3) Where does it say 22 months? “…while she was breast-feeding her year-old daughter…”

At some point I have to think the refusal to accept any of these or other options is just silly…

But they don’t. They don’t think it’s “gross” to feed their child or that it’s some yucky bodily function that needs to be shielded from the general public. They don’t think it’s disrespectful to breastfeed. It’s legal and there’s no justification for throwing someone off of a plane for doing it: even if they didn’t try to hide the baby or go into a bathroom first.

48. infinitysnake says:

So, “Miss smartypants,” if the religious zealot sitting next to you were offended by your uncovered face, do you owe him the ‘courtesy’ of covering it up? No…his oafish refusal to leave the twelfth century is his problem, just as your discomfort with a process every human being is involved in is yours.

Your insistence that a mother should retreat to a germy bathroom to feed an infant says just as much about our f**cked up culture as it does about your f**cked up mindset.

Personally, I think the blanket should be over your head, would spare everyone a lot of discomfort.

49. Smashville says:

Miss Smartypants has obviously never even been on an airplane. Use the bathroom, my ass.

Plain and simple, the woman was thrown off of the airplane for feeding her baby. And people say the woman was selfish…for feeding her baby. Because when I think of selfish, I think of feeding your kids.

50. North of 49 says:

The flight attendant got a reprimand. I don’t have the link anymore. If I find it, I’ll post it.

51. gypsychk says:

Here’s the link where I read the story. (Apologies if it doesn’t work … Boston.com, 21 Nov article, Raja Mishra byline.)

Yes, the flight attendant was reprimanded. But Delta does not plan to put policy in place to protect a woman’s right to breastfeed. Conceivably, then, this could happen again, right?

52. gypsychk says:

Blagh. Tried incorporating link, failed miserably.

Yes, she was reprimanded. But no, Delta doesn’t plan to make “breastfeeding rights” a policy. So this could conceivably happen again, right?

53. acambras says:

As someone who just flew yesterday, I would like to make this little point:
    I would prefer that people only use the bathroom for things that must absolutely take place in the bathroom: urinating, defecating, and washing hands. I’d rather see anything else (breastfeeding, putting on makeup) done in one’s airplane seat so the bathroom is available for those responding to nature’s call. And if you can’t wait until you’re back on terra firma to do anything else (cutting your toenails, masturbating), you’ve got bigger problems.

54. QueenieNangified says:

First, I’ll mention that I’m a mother of three, all three fed/feed the way
    that our bodies were meant to be fed (ie breast milk for those of you who
    are dense). ALL mammals feed via the breast. Heck, I bet you drink breast
    milk from a cow, too, or at least eat products produced because of it
    (cheese, ice cream, etc.). Babies bellies are made to digest mothers milk
    (or is it the other way around, the milk is made specifically for babies
    bellies?).

Formula is an ARTIFICIAL substitute. That means NOT NATURAL. All formula
    is made to mimic mother’s milk, but falls far short. I mean, just look at
    the dirty diapers of 2 infants, one that is fed mother’s milk and one that
    is fed formula. The first will have an almost non smelly diaper, the second
    will reek and also will cause the infant more trouble passing. There are
    NUMEROUS studies that say Breast milk is best for baby, heck, most formula
    commericals say that as well.

If you’re offended by a bare breast, are you offended by a man walking
    around with his pants around his knees? Or someone wearing hip huggers so
    their backsides hang out? How is that any different? How about classic
    works of art? You know, the ones millions of children and teens are exposed
    to daily in the name of an education? Just because American Society has put
    a Sexual Taboo on the breast doesn’t mean it’s right.

I also want to say thanks to all of those who posted positively about
    feeding in public. It is VERY hard to feed in public, espeically if baby is
    figity. All we mothers who breast feed in public ask one thing, is to allow
    us to feed our babies the way nature meant them to be fed, in peace. We do
    not go out of our way to offend anyone, we just want what is best for our
    baby.