Walmart Still Selling Nazi Shirts

Scattered reports indicates Walmart is still selling a tshirt bearing Nazi insignia, up to 10 days after Walmart promised their removal.

Above is a picture from a Lancaster, CA Walmart, taken last night. Here’s one from Saturday, location unspecified.

In fact, we have yet to hear of a single Walmart that has actually stopped selling the shirts. — BEN POPKEN

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

Comments

1. ckilgore says:

I didn’t see them at my local Wal-Mart in Charleston, Ill. I am hoping it’s not because they were sold out.

2. bones says:

Still for sale in Charleston, SC.
    This should convince people Wal-Mart lies, so when they move in to your community promising the moon, know that they are liars.

3. My canvass of a local Wal-Mart (College Drive in Baton Rouge, LA) indicated no Nazi shirts.

A local skinhead in the nearby grocery store, however, did seem to be in possession of an identical tattoo on the back of his neck. I do not believe he got the tattoo at Wal-Mart.

4. Trae says:

A friend of mine who works at the Eau Claire, WI Walmart told me that she had been tasked by her boss to pull them from the shelves herself – so it’s getting pulled somewhere.

5. Trae says:

I know the shirt has been pulled from the Eau Claire, WI Walmart because I have a friend who works there, and she was instructed by her manager to pull the shirts herself – so this is probably a case of someone didn’t get the memo where it’s still in stores… which is more indicative of poor corporate communication rather than malice I think.

6. Hitchcock says:

Good job Consumerist. I’m glad to see you didn’t just accept the PR flunkies promise of pulling these shirts, and are actually working to keep the light on Walmart and force them to follow through.

7. Trae says:

And oh, I’m a double posting, impatient jackass. :P

8. I wrote this in a comment, but for some reason it didn’t show up – so I’m posting it again.

If you only repeat the same text you originally tried to post the system will prevent you from posting duplicate comments.

9. That Texaco shirt, is actually kinda cool.

10. Spiny Norman says:

I used to work out by Lancaster, CA and I’m betting there was a neighborhood counter-protest to stop the removal of the things in that WalMart. Things can get pretty scary on the edge of the Mojave.

11. Brianron says:

So, Saturday night I’m watching “Life is Beautiful” on TV and what do I see? One of the German officers has The Totenkopf insignia on his collar.

Wal-Mart Shopper?

12. Echodork says:

To be completely honest with you, you’ve posted this shirt thing so many times that I just don’t care anymore. Knowing Wal-Mart, they’ll still have stores selling this shirt in 2007. Will we have thrice-weekly updates about it until then?

13. SexCpotatoes says:

14. methinks it’s time to let this one go. of all the nastiness that walmart is responsible for (poverty wages, urban blight, blue vests, etc.), this tshirt doesn’t rate too high on my offense-o-meter. unless the proceeds are going to some montana militia, what’s the big sin- that there’s an unbranded nazi symbol in circulation, or that it’s being sold by wal-mart? i’ve seen osama bin laden and paris hilton tshirts that are easily more offensive, but don’t get nearly this much press.

15. univac says:

Lancaster is sometimes referred to as “Clan-caster.”

Perhaps this is one instance where Wal-Mart neglected to bulldoze every last vestige of local culture.

16. nikoniko says:

I’d rather see less frequent updates on this matter myself, maybe weekly unless something significant changes, but anyway…

But in response to SexCpotatoes above regarding no actual shirts being on display in the picture:

Unless other Wal-Marts do things differently than mine, the square you see with the graphic on it is actually a shirt wrapped around a piece of cardboard, and if you remove the cardboard and take the shirt up to the counter, they will sell the shirt to you.

Heck, as a joke one time, because there’s one cashier I always seem to get who never pays attention to anything, I grabbed a discarded sales tag I found on the floor and sat it on the conveyor belt near my items. The cashier picked it up and scanned it — even though it wasn’t attached to ANYTHING — and put it in my bag. Then I told her I’d changed my mind, and she kindly removed it from my bag and voided it from the incomplete transaction.

Even if the logo shown in the picture were just a piece of cardboard, I’m sure some Wal-Mart employee would be willing to sell it. ^_^

17. Smashville says:

“I call Shenannigans on this post! It looks like someone just turned the cardboard back around and snapped a photo. There are no brown shirts for sale anywhere around that graphic. Directly above and below are completely differently styled shirts, shame on you for posting this and not even checking the photo at all.”

The camo shirt and skull shirt are obviously switched. You can tell the skull shirts are underneath the camo.

18. SexCpotatoes says:

No, the camo and skull shirts are NOT switched. I HAVE a bunch of the skull shirts, I am selling some of them on ebay, they appear exactly as reddish brown as the cardboard/poster in the display. Those shirts under the camo indication are a dark grey/green color, and something completely different. They are way too solid on the “vintage” screened area to be the skull design, especially the way they are folded. Like I said, I have these shirts, the picture is not of the actual nazi skull tshirts at walmart. Compare them to the past photos of ACTUAL shirts being held up, or on the shelf at the store. Those shirts are not the real item.

19. Jesse McBesse says:

I can’t believe I’m defending consumerist where these shirts – and their incessant posts concerning these shirts – are concerned…

Have you ever shopped at walmart?? Nothing is EVER where it’s supposed to be! Look in the picture; you can’t even see any Texaco shirts in that mess. Of course it can’t be proven because the picture doesn’t show the ENTIRE t-shirt display, but the nazi shirts could very well be on the other end.

And way to make a buck off of selling some nazi propaganda yourself. Nice.

20. SexCpotatoes says:

Hey Jesse McBesse, the second that walmart started pulling the shirts from the shelves, they became collector’s items. If you want to fault anyone for selling anything, why don’t you go after ebay for selling over 2000 auctions of nazi paraphanelia, from stamps and coins, to literature and patches. But, they pulled all of the first auctions for these shirts that were listed under ‘Totenkopf.’ I’m not glorifying genocide or marketing these things under white power, neo-nazi attracting headlines, I’ve already relisted and sold the auctions ebay pulled, and made a small profit on them. I am doing nothing wrong by selling these shirts, and I still don’t believe that this walmart was still selling these shirts. I checked another local walmart the other day, and they keep all the cardboard t-shirt placards under the display shelves in a stack. I wouldn’t be suprised if someone took the camo one out, moved it over, and then inserted the skull one.