Cover Black Friday With Us

Unless we’re too drunk on tryptophan, 5am this Friday, November 24th finds us freezing our butts off in a North Carolina parking lot, documenting Black Friday madness.

Won’t you join us? If you’re going to be doing Black Friday too, send us your photos, videos, deal snags and stories. Black Friday updates from around the country! “Doot doot, doot doot doot, this just in on the wire…”

For now, we’ve got our sights set on this Best Buy in Charlotte, NC. (Anyone know if there’s free wi-fi in this parking lot? Or, readers familiar with the Charlotte area, is there a better Black Friday locale?)

We’ve also enlisted Gawker videographer Richard Blakely, and possibly a photographer, to document Manhattan’s Black Friday adventures.

File your reports at tips at consumerist dot com, subject line “BFF.” UPDATE: You can also upload images or video to Flickr/Youtube and tag ‘em “TCBFF.” If you use a different service, tell us so we’ll know where to look. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. taylorich says:

Don’t know if there is free wi-fi there but the district headquarters for Best Buy used to be right behind that store. Could be interesting to get their comments. Not too much else around there though…

2. bigoletruk says:

You know Carolina Place Mall (off I-485 in Pineville/South Charlotte) is starting its shopping hours at 1:00am on Friday! They are having a band, door prizes, food, and other activities for all the insomniacs!

3. JLam4911 says:

Not to sound pedantic, but tryptophan doesn’t make you sleepy. Other than that, I’ll probably be shopping on BF, and I’ll send you anything interesting I come across.

4. Wrenae says:

I was just in (or near) Charlotte this weekend. We shopped at the uber-packed and traffic-frenzied Concord Mills Mall. It struck me as the perfect place for a Black Friday incident to occur, although picking a single store for that to happen would be challenging. Maybe some good ole boys could lance each other with half-price fishing poles at the Bass Pro Outdoor World? One can only dream.

5. KarenG says:

There’s a Best Buy right across the street from Carolina Place Mall (see bigoletruk’s comment) and that location is more popular than the Independence Rd. one (so more chance for bloodshed). There’s also a K-mart in the same shopping center (which is called The Centrum). Not sure about the Wi-fi, though.

6. Magister says:

I will be at the CompUSA on thanksgiving day night in Orlando, near the new Bible Jesus glass tower. Then at the new Best Buy on Friday morning near Sanford (forget the town).

Last year, my dad and I ran around for 4 hours, loving the bitching crowds. I will have my camera phone out in case of any hijinks.

7. Amry says:

I would chime in to recommend the Carolina Place Best Buy, as well, but forgot that after they paved over the stables where I used to ride, they built a huge new big box strip center just south of that Best Buy where NC 51 and US 74 intersect. I think the Independence Blvd Best Buy might bring in a more “interesting” crowd – go with it. Plus you can have lunch at K&W Cafeteria across the street – HOT.

As for Wi-Fi, no clue, but there’s hotels-a-plenty south of that shopping center, and I’ve done my fair share of hotel parking lot internetting.

8. ashabanapal says:

I agree that the Pineville store across from Carolina Place Mall would be the far better site to view the onslought of raw, unadulterated consumerism. Not only do you have a busier store, but it’s within mile of almost every conceivable type of retailer. You got K-Mart, Barnes & Nobles, Dick’s Sporting Goods, & Home Depot right there in the same development. It’s across the street from the second or third busiest mall in Charlotte, Toys R Us, Sam’s Club, a local high-end electronics place called Zobo TV, and a half dozen others. Go a few blocks east on Pineville-Matthews Road and you have 2 or 3 old school anchor&strip-style shopping centers with smaller retailers that have been there for 25 years. Also, Pineville is right on the NC/SC border, so you’ll get a broader spectrum of consumer, both geographically and economically. If you want pandamonium of every kind and Best Buy must be involved, Pineville’s the place to go. As for wi-fi, I haven’t tried it, but I doubt it’s available at either locale. Maybe on JW Clay(across the street from a large hospital), but not Independence or Centrum Pkwy.

9. ashabanapal says:

I agree that the Pineville store across from Carolina Place Mall would be the far better site to view the onslaught of raw, unadulterated consumerism. Not only do you have a busier store, but it’s within mile of almost every conceivable type of retailer. You got K-Mart, Barnes & Nobles, Dick’s Sporting Goods, & Home Depot right there in the same development. It’s across the street from the second or third busiest mall in Charlotte, Toys R Us, Sam’s Club, a local high-end electronics place called Zobo TV, and a half dozen others. Go a few blocks east on Pineville-Matthews Road and you have 2 or 3 old school anchor&strip-style shopping centers with smaller retailers that have been there for as much as 25 years. Also, Pineville is right on the NC/SC border, so you’ll get a broader spectrum of consumer, both geographically and economically. If you want to comptrol compulsive consumerism and Best Buy must be involved, Pineville’s the place to go. As for wi-fi, I haven’t tried it, but I doubt it’s available at either locale. Maybe on JW Clay(across the street from a large hospital), but probably not Independence or Centrum Pkwy.

10. smallfry says:

Me? I’m participating in “Buy Nothing Day” this Friday.