Red Wine Is Still Good For You

It’s hard to keep up with what’s good for you and what’s not. Currently, red wine is still good for you. Got it?

According to the Washington Post:

A component of red wine recently shown to help lab mice live longer also protects animals from obesity and diabetes and boosts their physical endurance, researchers reported yesterday.

Excellent. As if we needed another excuse to Wine.Woot. —MEGHANN MARCO

A Second Pour of Good News About Substance in Red Wine [Washington Post]

Comments

1. Amy Alkon says:

There are many examples of sloppy journalism on this front, not mentioning that the amount needed to make a difference is vast — far greater than you could drink in a day without dying really young of cirrhosis and liver failure.

The “French Paradox” — the fact that the French have far fewer deaths by heart attack compared to America, probably relates to a study I read about in The Fat Fallacy, by neuroscientist Will Clower. (The study actually compared the French to…the Scots?…well, people in the UK vis a vis heart attacks.) French people eat a lot of fat, but a lot of it is dairy fat, not meat fat — that is, perhaps, what makes the difference.

2. mark duffy says:

Nice stockings. Popken’s happy.

3. Red wine, hunh? I think that picture’s a lot better for my health than a glass of red wine.

4. ckilgore says:

That picture is making me bi-curious. And thirsty.

5. AcilletaM says:

Is this the same woman who was cooking topless in the Sears post?

6. Meg Marco says:

I hope so. Let’s make her our mascot.

7. Fat drunks like me have been celebrating this for a while. Even though it took massive amounts to affect the rats (the human equivalent is something like 100 bottles of wine a day), it still CAN’T HURT to drink red wine and eat grapes (the component is in grape skins too).

And if Amy Alkon’s explanation of “the French Paradox” is true, then fat drunk vegetarians like me are still happy.

8. Triteon says:

I’ve been staring at this for an hour, trying to find the Rubik’s cube.

9. B says:

It was my understanding that in order to receive the same relative quantity the mice got, you’d have to drink ~1500 bottles of wine a day. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

10. You can also get the component–resveratrol–in supplement form, but I don’t think anybody’s sure if it’s safe for humans to take large quantities of it in supplement form.

11. AcidReign says:

…..I hope Modavi produces more Pinot Noir this coming year. And not the caustic coastal stuff. I need my daily intake of sulfites! Although we have discovered during this shortage that Folie a Deux Cabernet makes an acceptable substitute… Nothing gives dinner a vibe like candles and a glass of red wine!

12. pokysharpy says:

God, that is a sexy picture. Any chance of linking to a larger versiion suitable for the wallpaper of my sexy MacBook Pro?