O’Reilly: Boycott FOX’s Advertisers

In an interesting editorial this morning, FOXNews poster boy, Bill O’Reilly conflates the OJ Simpson confession, abortion and The New York Times. Far be it from us to question the mind that would make those connections…the point is: O’Reilly wants you to boycott FOX’s advertisers. All of them. For life.

So here’s what I’m going to do as a citizen. I’m not going to watch the Simpson show or even look at the book. I’m not even going to look at it. If any company sponsors the TV program, I will not buy anything that company sells — ever.

Does he mean it? Should we stop buying the products that pay for his meals? Shall we watch the interview so we can write down who is sponsoring what? Well, the piece isn’t exactly a model of clarity. He spends most of the editorial talking about the “elite media” and late-term abortion: “Of course, babies have no legal rights in the eyes of The New York Times. ” And so on.

We posit that he’s the FOX moral outrage clean-up crew, but will take his advice under consideration. —MEGHANN MARCO

American Culture Hits Its Lowest Point Ever [FOXNews]

Comments

1. acutusnothus says:

The words Fox, O’Reilly, and Moral are non-synchronous; don’t belong together; in conflict; counterintuitive. Just ignore these sociopaths long enough and they’ll go away.

2. Datacloud says:

I think he means advetisers who sponsor that broadcast specifically. This interview is occuring at the end of sweeps and is expected to draw millions of pathetic viewers so I would imagine that there are advertisers who are paying for their ads to run during this program.

It may also be good to note that O’Reilly’s network, the FOX News Channel, is not airing the broadcast.

Just my $0.02

3. how he would have murdered the two Americans if he had did it.

4. acambras says:

Can we find out who the advertisers are so we can register our disgust BEFORE the broadcast? Then maybe one or more of them might pull out.

Yesterday I found e-mail addresses for the corporate/press contacts at Fox and Harper Collins. I wrote scathing e-mails to register my own disgust. Not obscene or threatening (nothing like the “I’m gonna sodomize Garden Guy’s children” e-mails) — more like “shame on you” e-mails that they will hopefully pass on to the higher-ups.

If anyone else would like these addresses, they are:
    joe.earley@fox.com
    erin.crum@harpercollins.com

I got these off of the corporate websites, so they do seem to be available to the public. And probably more effective than sending e-mails to addresses like info@fox.com or info@harpercollins.com.

5. William Mize says:

Everything that Billy O’Reilly says, when plugged into Babelfish always comes out translated as “Look at me! Look at me!”

Asshat.

6. Brianron says:

William:

I agree with you that O’Reilly is an “asshat,” but in this case, as to O.J., he is absolutely on target. The slime of this is absolutely unimaginable.

In fact, let’s assume, just for the moment, that O.J. did not kill the mother of his two children. With that assumption, what could be more reprehensible than publicly telling people how you would have killed her, if you had wanted to?

7. I know this is just me focusing on the least important part, but why did he specify that they were American?

Because he speaks in code.

See also: “Homicide bombers”, “Islamofascists”, and other nonsense made up words. Only on Fox, where Fair and Balanced means “harassing anyone who doesn’t parrot the Republican meme of the day”.

8. RandomHookup says:

Silly rabbit, “American” = “white.”

9. GenXCub says:

Yup, killing “2 Americans” means more to republisheep than “2 people.” Also, was it ever cleared up if Ron Goldman was gay? That’d really throw Faux News’ viewers into a moral dilemma.

10. nojo says:

So the Murdoch-owned Fox News Channel isn’t running the same program as the Murdoch-owned Fox broadcast network, based on a book being published by the Murdoch-owned HarperCollins?

Yes, that’s good to note. Although I’m not entirely sure why.

11. Chaoticfluffy says:

So wait, the guy who’s (apparently?) entirely dependent on Fox and its audience for his livelihood…is protesting against Fox? He would like to see Fox lose ad income? Did anyone tell this guy that profit loss often leads to layoffs, especially for employees who turn against the company? Or am I missing something…

Also, am I the only one who misread the quote at first as saying that he wasn’t going to watch The Simpsons, but he hadn’t bothered to actually figure out the name of the show? Maybe I’m just tired.

12. acambras says:

LOL
    Homer Simpson = nice guy
    OJ Simpson = not so nice guy

13. jacques says:

So what happens if one of the sponsors for the OJ show is also one of his sponsors?

14. rdm says:

On SNL this weekend, they parodied O’Reilly’s silly boycotts and pointed out that when he suggests a boycott those product’s sales actually go up. I wonder if that’s really the case.