HOWTO: Keep Track Of Coupons

Provided that you’re able to find any you’re interested in, clipping coupons can be a good exercise in thrift. How then to manage all those tiny slips of paper? Here’s some options.

Index card box + index cards $4.56.

The Coupon Wallet $24.95 + S/H. A touch pricier, but makes organization easy. More of a clutch than a wallet, it’s still discreet enough to bring along to the store.

• Alternatively, The Grocery Game tracks sales at stores in your neighborhood and matches them with coupons that have been available in your local paper.

• Or you could just use a few standard envelopes. Cheap! — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. mom22bless says:

The Grocery Game is awesome! I don’t ever file my coupons I just keep my weekly inserts intact and clip when I need them.

2. any such name says:

wow. really?
    it’s very easy, i say.
    1 envelope labeled “coupons” – food items in the front, pharmacy in the back.
    easy!

3. kaycee says:

I dislike bothering with coupons, so I try to keep it as simple as possible. I bought a plastic envelope from the office supply for a little over a dollar, then cut one short end off so it would fit in my purse. I keep three index cards in it for separators. At the very back are restaurant coupons. In the middle are coupons for convenience frozen foods which I try not to buy much of, but if I’m in the mood for something junky and quick, it helps to have a coupon. At the front are all the other coupons. I have one other index card that is folded in half crosswise, and it holds the coupons I will use that week at the store.

Each Sunday, I clip all the coupons. The ones for items that I know for sure I’ll use, I put inside the folded index card. I use all of them the next time I go to the store, and that way I don’t let any of them expire. The other coupons are for items I do use sometimes but might not need soon (such as for a jar of pickles – I already have two in the cupboard, so I don’t want to buy a third jar because I don’t use pickles very often). Unless I run low on that item before the coupon expires, it will end up being thrown away.

Filing them in more categories than this is too inconvenient to keep track of, I think.

4. You can get a coupon wallet for $1 at the dollar store. Either blank or with pre-labeled tabs. (and you can stick file-folder labels over the pre-labeled tabs if the dollar store only has labeled ones and you don’t like the labels.)

I dump out the expired ones once a month.

Paying $25 for a coupon wallet seems way contrary to the point of using coupons!

5. Oh, PS — I do all my clipping and sorting during the Sunday night Fox shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.) so it’s not a big time-suck. Just something to keep my hands busy while I watch TV or during the commercials.

6. snazz says:

any way to get coupon inserts mailed to you without subscribing to a newspaper?

7. thrillhouse says:

Rachel-

Some areas have coupon swaps. Also, the building that my wife works in has several subscriptions, and regularly has several left at the end of the day. You may also ask a freind who gets the paper, but does not coupon.

Some companies have coupons for their products on their websites, or you can sign up to have them emailed to you. The best part is that you can combine store coupons with manufacturer coupons for big savings.

8. ElizabethD says:

A coupon wallet definitely beats a paper envelope. I find that paper envelopes (which I do use for non-grocery store coupons, like Bath & Body, Bob’s, Michael’s crafts, etc.) break down and shred pretty quickly and make a big mess in my nice big purse.

9. Triteon says:

I use an index card box with dividers that reflect my regular grocer’s aisles and their order. (i.e. produce/deli, ethnic…through dairy and pharmacy.)

10. etinterrapax says:

I have a useless flat zipper pocket on the back of my purse, and I keep coupons and receipts in it–coupons in the front and receipts in the back. Every couple of weeks I empty it out, throw out or file all the receipts, weed the coupons, and presto. If I had a separate envelope, which I have tried in the past, I’d never remember to bring it with me. This way, I always have them.

11. robdew says:

want coupons but don’t have time to cut them?

One word -Ebay!

Seriously.

For instance, I buy expensive razor blades, and regularly buy fists full of $2 off coupons for $2-3 dollars including postage.

Got a big home improvement project coming up? Get a Home Depot or Lowes coupon. A 20% off coupon can save you $400 if you are buying $2000 worth of decking lumber. Just make sure they are legit — many bogus color photocopied coupons to be had.

A good compromise between clipping your own coupons and buying them on ebay is to wait until you see the coupon in your local paper for an item you buy frequently, then go search ebay.