Taco Bell To Cut Trans Fats

From Yahoo News: “Taco Bell will be the latest fast-food chain to cut artery-clogging trans fats from cooking oils in its U.S. restaurants, the company announced Thursday.

The nation’s largest seller of quick service Mexican-style foods uses the oils to fry its nachos, taco salad shells, potatoes, chalupa shells and other items.

“This is something we’ve been working on for over two years, and we just believe it’s the right thing and the right changes to make in our products,” said Warren Widicus, Taco Bell’s chief food innovation officer.”

Wait, We’re sorry… Warren Widicus, Taco Bell’s chief food innovation officer? How hard is that job? Warren, buddy, we need 6 more ways to combine ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and a tortilla…. and we need it right now.

It’s either the hardest job in America or the easiest, we can’t tell.

Anyway, yeah. Less trans fats. —MEGHANN MARCO

Taco Bell to stem use of trans fats [Yahoo! News]

Comments

1. thrillhouse says:

“Warren, buddy, we need 6 more ways to combine ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and a tortilla…. and we need it right now.”

seriously funny, but oh so true

Slop some enchillada sauce in there and call it an enchillaco!

2. With all of these fast food companies throwing in the towel on Trans-fats I wonder what the actual benefit is? I mean we’re told that Trans-fats are bad for us but I can’t imagine that suddenly fast food will magically become healthy just because they cut it out.

For instance, on the Doritos 100 calorie mini-snacks it even lists it with the damn “healthy” logo because it has “Zero trans fats”– well Doritos any way you serve em are certainly not healthy. Just because you cut the serving size doesn’t make them healthy.

3. Magister says:

The American Heart Association was against NY going totally trans-fat free in the next year because some of the alternatives aren’t any better.

Kind of like saying I quit crack and only do crank.

Maybe my wife will believe the hype and let us go to Taco Bell more often.

CHILITO!!!!

4. DougDascenzo says:

Thrillhouse -

Your enchillaco sounds delicious, and entirely plausible. I sense Widicus has gotten entirely too complacent, and Taco Bell needs some more of these fresh ideas.

5. AcilletaM says:

Cutting serving size technically is supposed to teach proper serving sizes but Americans just don’t care that much.

What does Taco Bell use potatoes in? I thought that was only Taco John’s.

And that is a seriously old school Taco Bell sign.

6. The_Truth says:

I love you Taco Bell!!

7. The_Truth says:

I love you Taco Bell!!

And seriously whats up with the damn comments? This is the second time today its lost mine. Is Firefox a no go? or do you just hate freedom?

8. Steve_Holt says:

I think Warren Widicus deserves a little more credit here. I mean come on, wrapping a taco on a hard shell with a soft tortilla and getting it to form a self enclosing melty hexagon – that stays closed!! Show me one other person (in America) who has had that idea, and I’ll show you a chief food innovation genius.

9. FesteringTestJester says:

I think this whole thing is just widiculus and un-warren-ted.

10. GenXCub says:

No Trans Fats is the equivalent of “Lite” cigarettes unless the fat is being replaced by carb/protein.

11. Where’d you find the old sign? I searched and found nothing except a tiny one on Flickr.

12. SteveJeltzFan says:

I love Taco Bell, too, The_Truth, and my body is fortunate that the closest one is pretty far from here.

That photo is fantastic, btw. The only time I’ve seen that in real life is on Route 202, just off I-95 in Delaware.
    Old school!

13. nick says:

I want a chicken enchillaco. Mmmmmm.

14. Chongo says:

I listened to Warren speak on NPR a couple weeks ago about this. The same Company that owns Toxic Hell also owns KFC. He was talking about how KFC is going to cut all trans fats from its foods as well.

Did you know that 1 2pc chicken meal (extra crispy) from KFC has 1 1/2 weeks worth of trans fat? Isn’t that insane!

15. AcilletaM says:

Thank you SteveJeltzFan, for succeeding in making me feel old.

16. Clare says:

I live two minutes from the TB you’re talking about, SteveJeltzFan.

This is the third Gawker Media comment I’ve left today about bad-for-you food. Clearly, I either need a snack or to go on a diet.

17. Meg Marco says:

It’s a Taco Bell in Savannah. I’m a sucker for vintage signs. Found via Creative Commons search. Show your love to the photog:

18. Triteon says:

Trans-fat out, opiates in?

19. thrillhouse says:

Doug-

Thanks! enchillacos are delicious and dripping with delicious trans-fat goodness. Fun for the whole family.

But more importantly, didn’t you used to play for the Cubs?

20. Citron says:

Chongo, they also own Pizza Hut (and less importantly, A&W and Long John Silver’s.) I don’t know if you’ve ever seen KenTaco Huts where you are, but they’re all over the midwest. Anyway, the conglomorate is called called Tricon Global, and it’s evil. Evil.

But people shouldn’t be injesting any grams trans-fats. The idea that lobbying created an RDI of it makes me want to pull my hair out.

21. AcilletaM says:

Tricon Global is actually called Yum! now so it sounds less like so ” Umbrella Corporation”ish

22. Thanks Meghann! That is a cool Flickr group.