Die Yuppie Scum, Again

The accessories may change, but we’ll always have yuppies.

Click to enlarge and see what the latest issue of Details calls the alt-yuppie, buppie, and guppie. Hint: Alt = Apple, B = Black, G = Fire Island.

Conspicuous consumption, the one accessory that never goes out of style. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. max andrews says:

holy crap…i just regurgitated a good sized chunk of penguin food.

2. monicathemusical says:

Why does the black guy have to dress like he just finished preparing a steaming bowl of cream-of-wheat for Ms. O’Hara down on the plantation?

That is not a euphemism.

3. John Rambow says:

Please tell me this was actually ripped from a Joe Dolce Details of the ’90s.

4. mahone says:

Um, Varvatos All Stars arent’t that expensive. You should have gone with BAPE.

5. any such name says:

the first one is an indie yuppie, or a yupster (yuppie + hipster). duh.
    that was so almost two years ago.

6. Nancy Sin says:

Or a Grup.

7. Nancy Sin says:

And the second one is Farnsworth/Fonzworth Bentley.

8. The Unicorn says:

Man, I for one am really glad that Details ran this piece, because just the other day I was saying to my friend, “you know, it’s impossible to tell by looking at someone whether they’re gay, Black, or a hipster.” But now they’ve cracked the code for us! Thanks, Details!

…Breaking out of the sarcasm, it makes me seriously uneasy to see them treating race, sexual orientation, and vague aesthetic loyalties as though they’re all part of the same categorization system. However, the fact that Details is widely-regarded as a stupid magazine does mitigate my dismay.

9. Chairman-Meow says:

Why do I feel a nagging cumpulsion to reach out to all three of these ahem, “types” and bitch-slap them for trying to be “trendy”.

10. Triteon says:

We’re almost back to the fashions James Lilek enjoys mocking. Much like this.

11. Elaine Chow says:

I have yet to see anyone actually dress as a Buppie… does that mean I just don’t have enough rich black friends?

12. Chairman-Meow says:

Triteon,

The Wearing a Dorcus was a must at the “>Gobbler”>http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html>Gobbler

13. The_Truth says:

I hate it when newspapers/magazines, try to come up with ‘trendy’ names for the so called ‘trendy’ fasions.
    Its almost as bad as the ‘TomKat’ crap and Bennifer you see splashed all over the damn tabloids at the checkouts. Seriously, is this 1st grade? do we have to call them stupid names? Or is the readership that fucking dumb that they cant read ‘Tom and Katie Cruise did blah blah’? I mean what genius came up with TomKat?

Guy 1 “Ive got it!! Its amazing! Its like, Tom, Katie and a reference to a plane, cos you know Tom Cruise was in a plane movie!!!!! TOMKAT!!! Im a genius!!”

Guy 2 “You are a genius!”

Guy 3 “I cut myself when no ones looking”

14. that guy says:

Man, buying a Mac and wearing converse, jeans, a button down shirt and a blazer – WHAT A FASHION STATEMENT. Living in a loft is so alt.

15. smallfry says:

what if I’m black, gay AND have a Macbook? Now I’m soooo confused.

16. smallfry says:

What if I’m black, gay AND have a MacBook…. man, I’m sooo confused.

17. ‘Guppie’ has been around for ages. I actually prefer ‘GAP’ better. [Gay American Princess].

18. MattyMatt says:

There is no way these Types actually exist — no group of humans could be capable of being so awful. Details just made them up so there’d be someone to resent.

19. raincoaster says:

Isn’t #1 a bobo? That’s only, like, five or ten years old.

20. SecureLocation says:

Is it just me or is Details the worst magazine on the planet?

21. Ass_Cobra says:

I think it’s the worst. Also if you’re a fixed income trader and you wear a bow tie and pink three piece suit to work you get your ass kicked. Worse than the kid with scoliosis that skipped two grades.

Why does the gay one have to be an event planner. I saw a TV show about an entirely gay steel mill once.