Bank of America: Most Downtime for a Major Banking Website

“Bank of America Corp. experienced the most Web site downtime among top U.S. banks recently, according to a study by Pingdom, a monitoring service based near Stockholm.
Bank of America’s Web site was down for a whopping 3,065 minutes — the equivalent of about two days and three hours — achieving 96.51% uptime during September and October.”

With that in mind, if you prefer to bank online Bank of America might not be the choice for you, as bank website downtime has to be one of the most annoying things ever. Several banks had less than four minutes of downtime in the same period—effectively operating at 100%, including Wachovia and Washington Mutual. Yippie! — MEGHANN MARCO

Bank of America logs most downtime among top U.S. banks [Computerworld]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

Funny I never have had a problem with it being down. I am wondering if they are counting completely down, or issues where they shut down parts of the site ot upgrade things.

Also do you count 3 am when they shut down for work?

2. Jesse McBesse says:

i log in at least twice a day and i’ve never, ever had a problem in seven years.

3. The_Truth says:

same

4. justelise says:

The turnaround time for them to repair an ATM can be astoundingly bad too. This is par for the course for BoA. You pay for every little thing and get crappy service in return.

5. CaptainRoin says:

I came over to BOM when they bought/merged with MBNA, for the first 3 days of the switch nothing worked on their site but since then it hasn’t been too bad. I think MBNA had a better UI IMO.

6. Mauvaise says:

Count me with the other BofA online banking people. I check my accounts (5 of them) almost daily and I can’t remember ever having an issue with access this year, let alone during the months stated above.

7. RandomHookup says:

Did they acquire anyone during that time? ‘Cos that’s what BoA lives for.

8. Mike_ says:

Same here. I check my accounts frequently, and have never had a problem.

The report is here, including the downtime log.

9. Magister says:

Same for me, been with BoA for a very long time, been using the Online portion for at least 5 years. I can’ t recall a time in the last 5 years where there was a problem. I have been checking my online stuff at least once daily every day for the last few years. This might be one of those things where every one is really good at it, they are just the least of the really good. At this at least.

10. synergy says:

I’ll just jump in here and also add that I’ve never had any problems with the BoA site. I don’t pay any fees for anything and I don’t think I’ve ever run into a broken BoA ATM.

11. Yes they were in the middle of changing over MBNA customers at that time. Captain Roin is right the MBNA UI was much better. This one sucks monkey nuts. It’s a cobbled together mess. Their payment screen is the old MBNA one (but they somehow managed to loose my bill payment information), while the summary is BoA all the way. I would ditch them for their kludgy UI if it weren’t the lowest non-introductory APR I’ve found from a credit card.

12. Chongo says:

When I cancelled my account with them they fully removed my access to their online payment section (for credit cards). You would think that even though I owe them all this money they would want me to be able to pay them faster by transfering money from my other bank account. Now I actually have to go into a BOA branch every month to pay it.

13. fishfucerk says:

I haven’t had previous problems with them, but shortly after they brought over the MBNA customers they failed to show my BOFA checking account information several times (fixed with a login/logout). Not a huge deal, but when you encounter something like that on a bank site it’s a bit unnerving.

14. mfergel says:

I log in quite often to check out my balances/transfers/etc. and haven’t had a problem with it being down.

15. schweigenthaler says:

I have had multiple problems: Rent check sent to wrong address, resent without informing me. Arrived over a month late.
    – Health insurance arrived a month late. THe provider tells their subscribers not to pay through BofA online.
    – Credit card payment simply disappeared. Got charged interest and a ding to credit. Called and they told me it was common. Removed interest. Said one client was suing BofA.
    – I just learned that my Earthquake insurance has been cancelled. I can’t get it again for two years. There is not record of the payment I made. I stupidly did not print out the success sheet.

I really don’t know what to do.

Apparently for a comment from a new user to be accepted it should be amusing. Unfortunately worrying that the quake will hit while I am renegotiating the insurance has dampened my sense of humor.

16. boablog says:

I hate Bank of America!! I hope someone includes me in on any lawsuits!! After cancelling my credit card with them because they are customer service lacking and employ a very different breed of inhumans, they told me i couldnt pay thru website. I had to now use myeasypayment.com, which never works right or is down altogether-resulting in late marks, fees and the ever popular 31%interest for 6months. I am currently in contact with the attorney general. I hope their building burns to the evil ground it sits on! Had checking acct w/them 10yrs ago-closed!!!