CBS Poops Out CSI Eggvertising

When we first heard about CBS advertising on poultry ovum, we thought, oh, that’s neat, but were, for the most part, nonplussed. The relentless penetration of advertising into every space is a fairly warmed over easy topic.

Then our friend Steig Retlin sent in this picture of the actual eggs and we’re changing our cock’s crow. (We realize these egg ads have been out for a while, but this is the first we’ve seen).

It appears there’s a code on the eggs related to a CSI episode airing on December 11th. Also, there’s a pun about the delivery mechanism.

…Ever start out writing something and then realize after you type it, how stupid it sounds…

Here’s a token with a number on it, watch the TV show and see if your number matches? We’d rather play Powerball. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Next up, tatooing the inside of my eyelids with advertising.

2. WindowSeat says:

Advertising is visual second-hand smoke.

3. homeyjay: but then… what if we closed our eyes then we couldn’t see it?!

4. DeeJayQueue says:

what if i wanted a scrambled-egg sandwich before CSI came on? If my code matched what then? Would I have to produce a slimy eggshell as proof if there were a prize to be won?

5. Yep says:

Looks like a code to ID the batch, and a “use by” date to me. With a web contest, you’d expect to see a URL on there somewhere, no? But I what do I know…

6. Sam Glover says:

“A fairly warmed over easy topic”? Come on, Ben, you can pun better than that!

7. B says:

Wouldn’t an egg purchased yesterday go bad by Dec 11th?

8. acambras says:

Good way to test an egg’s freshness: put it in a bowl of water. If it sinks, it’s fresh.

Or maybe I’ve got it backwards.

Anyway, if the ink is water-soluble, you’re screwed.

9. DTWD says:

“Relentless penetration”.. that’s so hot.

10. phrygian says:

B — Eggs bought in mid-November should still be okay to eat (cooked) in mid-December. Typically, the expiration date on a carton of eggs is 30 days past when the eggs were laid. At this point, the store cannot sell them (so it’s really a sell-by date). You can continue to use the eggs 3-5 weeks past the sell-by date. Just keep the eggs refrigerated and don’t wash them until you’re ready to eat them and they’ll last the longest.

11. Quippish says:

That isn’t ink Acambras. The eggs are laser etched to slightly discolor the shells.

The whole origin of this ability is to label each egg with a difficult to forge expiration date. The advertising is in place to pay for the process of putting the date and lot on the egg.

I’m not big on intrusive advertising but this is actually a very good idea for anybody who has ever picked up a dozen eggs at the corner store.

12. Mary Marsala with Fries says:

If I saw a “use by” date on my egg, I would not immediately think that it related to a television show. I would think, “Shit, these eggs have INDIVIDUAL expiration dates? Sweet!”

13. As long as they don’t etch faces on the eggs, I’m indifferent.

‘Ovum? Darn near ‘rect ‘um.’