Walmart’s Nazi Tshirt, Compare and Contrast

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

At left, a t-shirt a blogger says Walmart is selling. At right, the picture for Nazi Nazi 3rd SS Division Totenkopf from Wikipedia.

As you can see, they are nearly identical.

Walmart recently replaced greeting customers with “Merry Christmas!” instead of “Happy Holidays!” After suffering recent image setbacks, is the retailer circling the wagons to appeal to its core constituency? &mdash BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. After suffering recent image setbacks, is the retailer circling the wagons to appeal to its core constituency?

What is with calling Wal Mart shoppers Nazis?! I don’t like Wal-Mart much either, just buy motor oil from them, but I’d hardly call their customers Nazi’s.

I don’t know about the Wal-Marts in your area, but if Wal-Mart wanted to appeal to it’s core constituency in my area, it would just sell T-shirts with Spanish on them.

2. Triteon says:

But thus the problem of Wikipedia– how is it we know the Wiki posting preceded the rapid distribution of the article?

3. Ben Popken says:

The image upload timestamp on the wiki entry says July 2005.

4. Triteon says:

That’s what I get for reading instead of looking at the pics. Thanks, Ben.

5. vannsant says:

Because circling the wagons to appeal to the core constituency totally worked for the Republicans….

6. goaway147 says:

Did you just compare Christianity to Nazis? Hitler said “You’re either a German or a Christian you cannot be both”.

7. Chris says:

Ben’s out of line with these comments. Not a good way to give the impression of fairness. (Or taste or subtlety, for that matter).

8. warmotor says:

Yeah, because Christians have never advocated killing anyone based on their religion, never burned books in the street. They didn’t silently consent (or overtly support) the slave trade where popular opinion called for it. Oh wait, they’ve done all of that. And as evil as the Nazis were, I’ve yet to see any evidence that they turned a blind eye while other nazis preyed sexually on little kids.

Maybe Hitler didn’t want Nazis to be Christians because he realized the human mind only had room for one poisonous ideology at a time.

9. SexCpotatoes says:

Hey warmotor, there was evidence that some of the Nazi leaders trafficked(sp.) in children (for sexual molestation purposes), or even molested the ones that were confined in the camps. While you claim to “have not seen any evidence that it happened” doesn’t mean it wasn’t rampant in that time.

I hate the holier than thou, hypocritical christians as much as the next guy, but c’mon, they aren’t nazis. Christianity tells you to follow the rules or laws (of man), so technically if genocide were to be the government’s new laws or rules, christians should submit to it, if not actively carry it out. This is part of why Marx called it “The opiate of the masses” as it kept people timid and under state control, even through a lot of hardships and atrocities.

10. warmotor says:

Yeah, I know the comparison is a little unfair. Hell, I’m not ashamed to say that I have a great personal relationship with Jesus Christ, who is my personal lord and savior.

But the thought of some backwards right-wing “Jesus hates fags” born again moron reading my flames and getting really upset just tickles me.

You seem like a rational, intelligent person. You should try tormenting the “holier than thou, hypocritical christians” and see how many turn the other cheek. It’s effing hilarious.

11. unklegwar says:

@crayonshinobi: I wouldn’t call them Nazis either. They’re not smart enough.

12. deadspork says:

Wow, what the hell? You guys are slamming the hell out of Christians? Take a step back. Not all Christians are like the worst of what you see in the media – most are just people trying to better themselves. Jeez, I’m agnostic and I have less hate for the Christians than you guys do. That’s just messed up. I give props to anyone striving to embetter themselves and the world – like 99% of the Christians are trying to do.