Gas Price Election Conspiracy Press Coverage is Adorable

We think it’s cute the way that reporters try to compensate for the partisan nature of reporting on “election conspiracies” and go out of their way to find the most plain-spoken down-homey stereotypically right-leaning type dude they can.

Take this example from the Detroit Free Press:

“My view is that when prices were exploding last spring and you got all this baloney about the world economy and China and India consuming more fuel, I didn’t believe it then,” said Jim Collins, a 70-year-old retired finance manager with General Motors Corp….

“But when the prices decrease as rapidly as they did in September, I thought” President George W. Bush “was doing that to set the stage to be treated favorably during the midterm elections,” Collins said.

Please don’t accuse us of being leftists, please, please…wahhhhhh! Is there an actual gas price conspiracy? Who knows. Here’s something to help you find cheap gas after the election… — MEGHANN MARCO

Consumers grow suspicious as gas prices rise [DetroitFreePress]

Comments

1. Triteon says:

The situation of lower gas prices probably has nothing to do with OPEC’s 1Q07 outlook that a steadying supply combined with a lowered worldwide demand (0.1mb/d) projection has been driving the price-per-barrel lower since early September, among other factors. Or is someone going to argue that the oil-producing nations are friends of the current administration?
    Give me a break, this isn’t political. Read the October report here.

2. homerjay says:

linkie no workie.

3. adamondi says:

Hmmm… Let me see…. Gas prices go up in the Spring, just before the Summer driving season with its much higher demand, then go back down in the Fall after Summer driving season…. Yup. Sounds like every year for the last couple of decades. Gas prices always go up in the Summer and come back down in the Fall.

4. AaronM says:

Equally as predictably, leftists say that if gas prices are high, it’s Bush’s fault, but if they go down, Bush has nothing to do with gas prices.

5. AcilletaM says:

Variance has more to do with commodities traders/companies and whatever excuse they come up with to defend a price and less with actual politics.

6. phdsd says:

Bush isn’t smart enough to manipulate gas prices. He couldn’t even invade another country well.

7. I blame the Pentavirate.

8. Itch says:

Some information I’ve gotten 2nd hand agrees with AcilletaM. Alot of investors bought the “threat” that this year was going to have lots of hurricanes so they bought lots of Gas Companies, Home Depot, etc hoping to cash in. Well since that didnt happen, same investors are trying to cashed out before the season change which seemed cause a larger seasonal price change.

9. Triteon says:

He couldn’t even invade another country well.
    The invasion went very well; however I will agree that the course of events since Hussein was toppled have been less than stellar.

10. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Less than stellar? How about “botched?”

11. adamondi says:

” crayonshinobi says:
    I blame the Pentavirate.”

Excellent “So I Married an Axe Murderer” reference. Oh, how I hate the Colonel with his wee, beady eyes.