Walmart Starts Black Friday Early

Walmart, ever the trend setter (see monopsony), announced it will start deploying in-store holiday discounts this weekend, eschewing the Black Friday tradition.

This could force other retailers to follow suit, and possibly destroy Black Friday as we know it.

Hurray!

Bad News for Wal-Mart = Good News for Shoppers [Central News 13] (Thanks to something_amazing!)

Comments

1. adamondi says:

Maybe they are just trying to prevent the unwashed heathens from trampling each other on the morning of Black Friday in order to get a $29 DVD player that will break two days after its warranty expired.

2. Magister says:

I enjoy Black Friday. If you are willing to work at it, you can find some great deals. I can’t imagine WalMart not haveing BF deals. They generally have some of the best.

3. Josh Smith says:

Don’t Kill Black Friday its one of my favorite days of the year.

4. mendel says:

We don’t have Black Friday up here in Canada because Thanksgiving is in October, so I could just be confused, but:

I thought the reason that Black Friday was the big sale day is that pretty much everyone in the US has the Friday between Thanksgiving and the weekend off. If Walmart shows their prices a few days earlier, that’s just showing their hand to their competitors before they play — Friday’s still the day people have free time to shop.

On the other hand, every other big-box seems to “accidentally leak” their Black Friday prices now anyhow, so maybe it’s just making that move official.

5. viriiman says:

I would LOVE the idea of getting rid of the concept of black Friday all together.

Yes, you can find some great deals, but one could argue that you can do the same thing with the internet and some patience. Most of the black Friday stuff that goes on sale is CRAP that winds up breaking 2 days after the return policy.

Not to mention the fact that you can’t go anywhere NEAR a mall or shopping center that day, or that is your day (stuck in traffic)

Arrgh, just make it go away.

6. Chaoticfluffy says:

Seconding what viriiman said – I think the consumer world can only be helped by ridding it of Black Friday. However, for the retailers of the world (other than Wal-Mart apparently…wtf?), I suspect we’ll take away Black Friday when we pry it from their cold, dead, going-out-of-business fingers. Why? Because stores depend on the insanity of the day to play on consumer psychology, as least as far as I’m concerned. This is all M(non-psych-degree)HO, but let’s see… a) Everyone assumes the BF price is the lowest they’ll get before Christmas…even without checking to see if the item’s actually on sale or not. b) The competitive air that pervades the day leads to “grab for what you can get” behaviour instead of “consider before buying” behaviour. c) Sudden, short sales are more likely to bring in customers – especially the ones who’ll grab and buy. d) Adrenaline. e) Did I mention customers relishing the feeling of competitiveness? I mean really, I personally don’t think there’s anything terribly wonderful about an Elmo that would persuade a shopper to make a mad, trampling dash to get one…unless they’re looking at fifty others who are running for the same thing, because if there are, you gotta beat ‘em or else you’re not a good mother/father/[insert vague relationship to child here]!

Disclaimer: I am not a BF shopper. I hate crowds. I hate pushing. I especially hate stampeding, careless hordes of mindless people. All I want is one stinkin’ pair of pants, but nooo, the 6:01AM shoppers have cleaned them out and/or tossed them wildly all over the store! Who the hell gives plain black pants for Christmas, anyway?!

I’m not bitter. I’m not. Really.

7. etinterrapax says:

I wonder if this is because they just had a crap October.

8. Ishmael says:

I’d be content if we’d just get rid of the stupid label for the day. I’m usually at home doing my Christmas decorating and gorging on leftovers, anyway. Who is able to shop when there’s all that food to be eaten?!

9. Smashville says:

That is the only WalMart I’ve ever seen with a red sign.

10. DeadSnake says:

That’s because it’s been painted with the blood of immigrant workers who have failed to meet the standards of Wal-Mart.

11. SpamFighterLoy says:

viriiman: you’re full of it. My shopping is usually divided between sales, BF, eBay and online discount hunting. That and QVC’s clearance section. Anyway, if you play your cards right you get deals on BF that you CANNOT get any other way. It takes strategy and sometimes team effort, but the savings can’t be denied.

That Wal-mart would not be doing BF sales sucks. But then again, they’re always the roughest to get price-matching out of, so I don’t do much there anyway. Target is the best. CS desk outside the main doors — just hand over your receipt and credit card, get you refund and never have to mingle with the craziness within.

12. bluesnow says:

I absolutely LOVE black friday, there is nothing better than getting up at 4am, grab a friend and go hit all of the stores that you can hit by mid-day!!! We buy so much stuff (because it’s all on sale) that we can barely get it into our vehicle!!! We cant wait for it to get here!

13. WomanWithAnOpinion says:

First of all “Black Friday” will never go away. The whole term refers to the different business owners tring to balance the books and end the year in profit (the black) instead of loss (the red). The “cheap” products at a cheap prices are merly a lure to get people, that are already taking advantage of the only weekday until Christmas they will have off, in their store first before they run out of money or max their credit cards. I know several people that will stand out front of Goody’s or Sears at 5am for a $10 gift card or go into JC Penneys for that (in my opinion) stupid snow globe. When you go into Walmart for that $49 DVD player you will probably grab a couple more gifts that are convenantly placed throughout the aisles. Black Friday is here to stay!