Christmas is Here, and Here, and Here…

It’s Christmas, motherfuckers, like it or not. Every year they start the holiday shopping push earlier and earlier. The worst offender we know of is Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL. We swear they start putting Christmas shit up in September, we just can’t prove it. Also, one Chicago radio station has already shifted to round-the-clock holiday music. What the hell?

Does this annoy you as much as it annoys us? When and where will the line be drawn? Talk to us about it in the comments.

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

The ACE hardware in Grayslake, IL was already setting up its Xmas stuff at the end of September.

2. Triteon says:

Must be ACE-wide, they were doing that in the St. Louis area at the same time.

3. Echodork says:

For those of us who aren’t Christian, December 23rd is too soon to begin practicing this particular religious holiday.

4. Yozzie says:

Christmas music… the horror… the horror!

5. bonnie says:

You know, I’m not entirely convinced that early Christmas stuff in retail stores is something that is only recently getting worse. I seem to remember reading an article where the reporter had tracked down New York Times ads from the early 1900s that advertised all sorts of Christmas stuff in mid-October. Perhaps it has always been this way and always will. It just feels good to vent our frustration by saying it gets worse every year.

6. FLConsumer says:

I fortunately missed the pre-Christmas decorating (for the most part). Target was the first to set up Christmas junk, with the rest of the stores beginning this week (thank God.) I have seen the malls put up decorations early in the past ‘though. None such in this area (yet)

7. alicetheowl says:

I noticed on Halloween night last year that the first of the Christmas music had started (in the local Bath & Body Works). It was only after that when I started to notice Christmas displays in stores and such.

This year, they went up well before Halloween. I think it IS getting worse.

Or, maybe it’s a cycle. They push it farther and farther back until people get sick of it, then it doesn’t start ’til Black Friday the next year.

Me, I want my Christmas to stay in that one special little time of year it has, rather than spreading out to take over the rest of the holidays. I LIKE Christmas, and hate when I’m sick of it before Thanksgiving.

8. Ben Popken says:

Joshua writes:

“while most of my friends and half of my family is christian, i fucking cannot stand christmas anymore, simply because it now lasts for two whole months.”

9. synergy says:

And here I had just finished wiping the rant-spittle off my monitor over Walmart starting their crap this weekend because now everyone else will imitate them when I see this entry.

Yeah I’ve been seeing stuff getting snuck onto shelves in September together with the Halloween stuff! What the hell ever happened to Thanksgiving?? Don’t people give thanks that they’ve made it this far into the year or are they so ungrateful as to just want to dive into the shark frenzy that’s Christmas??

10. ckilgore says:

Someone come get me when it’s over. I will be rocking and humming in a corner.

11. i guess i can live with christmas marketing starting earlier every year if it keeps retailers from turning thanksgiving into the next big thing.

actually, no, i can’t live with it. i f**king hate it regardless. and having it shoved down my throat so relentlessly year after year just makes me hate the holiday. i buy less and less every year regardless of income- i simply don’t want to be a part of the machine

12. Mauvaise says:

I had to pick up a script at a local Walgreens about two weeks before Halloween. They had their Halloween aisle, which was to be expected. But they also had an entire Christmas aisle! WTF?! It was very close to the pharmacy and when the pharmacist approached me, I couldn’t help myself and pointed at the aisle and said, “It’s not even Halloween yet!” He thought it was as obnoxious as I did…do.

13. acambras says:

Yeah, the retail hype is something that’s made me really come to loathe Christmas.

That’s why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. No shopping. Just eating. And a nice nap.

I am thankful for eating and napping.

14. Triteon says:

The retailers’ major seasons are Easter (starting in Feb/March depending on the actual day), Mother’s Day (starts right after Easter), Back-to-School (June), Halloween (after BTS) and Christmas (Dec 26th). You can identify minor holidays, as advertising starts only 1-2 weeks prior.

15. acambras says:

I can understand needing to buy lots of stuff for Back-to-School and Christmas, and maybe even Mother’s Day, but Easter?

What better way to celebrate the resurrection of Christ than to max out all your credit cards?

16. viriiman says:

I keet seeing Christmas being pushed further and further closer to the end of August each year. I stopped and thought about why Christmas used to be special when I was younger and realized: it’s because the holiday was so short. Now? Forget it. I can’t STAND Christmas ANYTHING before Thanksgiving (except leaked black Friday ads).

17. magic8ball says:

Joshua, I’m with you. I am a Christian, and I’m all for celebrating Christ’s birth at home with my family, but I have come to loathe the whole Christmas Season National Extravaganza of Spending All Your Money and Contributing to Gridlock. I can’t stand Christmas music anymore. I hate trying to shop for anything between now and January. If possible, I would hibernate through the whole thing.

18. RandomHookup says:

Must really suck if you celebrate 3 Kings’ Day as well, because that means an extra 12 days of Christmucky fun.

19. Melsky says:

I’d probably like Chrismas music okay if I only heard it for about a week before Christmas every year, but the way it is now I don’t hear peace and joy, just crass commericalism.

20. AcidReign says:

…..As I reported earlier, Compass Bank had Christmas decorations up for a Christmas Club promo back in August.

…..The best thing about Schaumberg, IL, is Gameworks. I was 10 years old again, for several hours!

21. Dustbunny says:

Costco had all their Christmas cards and decorations for sale in mid-September. Bah humbug.

OTOH, one nice thing about dragging out the Christmas season longer is that it means more time to enjoy eggnog lattes at Starbucks.

22. simmo says:

I work at Big W (the Aussie version of Walmart) and it is true that Christmas items have been on the shelves for close to 2 months now.
    Just be thankful that the Christmas songs haven’t started yet…

23. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

There’s nothing more irritating than trying to go about your weekly shopping and having to deal with SUV-loads of lost and confused Christmas shoppers who clog the roads, parking lots, and store aisles and spend countless days or even weeks trying to buy family members cheap crap that they don’t want and that they will only throw into a closet on December 26th (only to emerge 3 years later at a yard sale).

For the last ten years, I’ve told my friends and family “I love you all, but I don’t have 10 weeks to spend on Christmas shopping. I won’t buy you anything and don’t buy anything for me.”

I vote for a nice quiet dinner with a few friends and/or loved ones and nothing more.

Meanwhile, I’ll be locked safely in my “Christmas Shelter” until December 26th.

24. jacques says:

The only reason “the Lite” (don’t get me started on the crappy quality of clear channel Adult Contemporary channels without any local flavour) goes to x-mas-only music this early is they’re pretty low in the ratings no matter what they are playing.

And don’t be getting down on the x-mas at Woodfield. My HS marching band played there for Santa’s entrance many years ago. Awesomeness

25. DeadSnake says:

I’m pretty sure that eventually the sales will stretch longer as soon as the seasons start to blend together due to global warming. But seeing as how I live in Hawaii, only signal we get that it’s winter is when we get torrential rainstorms.

26. Sean Carter says:

Retailers always bring the holiday season early… And with the over-commercialisation of Christmas, they are bringing it even earlier… But that’s the way Christmas has always been over the last couple of years….. Peep into this amazing Christmas Blog to check out some really cool stuffs and unique ideas

27. Triteon says:

Sean Carter, get to the gallows. That is not an “amazing” blog, it’s a clog. And it’s YOUR site. So, who do you work for?

28. Mr. Gunn says:

Christmas advertising should start after Thanksgiving. That’s the way it’s always been, and those encroaching upon Thanksgiving time with their annoying Christmas will get nothing but scowls from me. Thank god for Amazon, because I can’t stand the mall.

29. Ben Popken says:

Sean Carter has been comment executed.

30. Dremagus says:

Personally I can’t stand holiday advertising that goes on more than one month before the actual holiday in question. A month is plenty of time for everyone to get to the store and buy whatever they planned on getting.

31. juri squared says:

Westfield Fox Valley Mall in Naperville, IL also had Christmas decorations going up in front of Macy’s in September. Curse you, Macy’s! Give us back our Marshall Field’s!

32. incidentist says:

I propose a sort of leap-year system for Christmas to correct the Christmasorial drift. We establish a date (in the middle of October, say), and when big stores start their Christmas seasons before that date, Christmas gets moved to the end of January the following year, which moves the corresponding shopping season up a month. The next year, the holiday gets moved back, but (theoretically) the season keeps its new start date, until it drifts back into October, and the circle of retail life begins anew.

But no one listens to me.