Harbor Freight Black Friday Ad

We’ve never heard of Harbor Freight but they sell tools. Their Black Friday ad just went up. A six piece screwdriver set for only $1.49 sounds like a deal. As does a mover’s dolly for only $19.99.

And an oscillating spindle sander for $79.99 is pretty good, especially if you convert it to a sit and spindle sander. You know, the naughty kind.

Harbor Freight Black Friday Items [GottaDeal]

Comments

1. Magister says:

Harbor Freight is hardware store that sells mostly off brand hardware/power tools. This isn’t for a general contracter. This place is for people like me that might need a HUGE power drill once a year. I had to drill holes in the sheet metal in my jeep. I don’t want to spend 100 bucks for a named brand. I can buy a big D-handle drill from HF for 20 bucks at sale.

I have also bought the 8000lbs Winch for my jeep for 300 bucks. It is a knock off of a MileMarker that might cost a few hundred more.

Is the stuff lower quality? Sure, but for the most part worth it.

Take a screw driver. You could buy a very expensive set from Sears with lifetime warranty. Or, for about a 1/5 of the price, buy it from HF and just replace it every 5 years if something happens.

I have seen these stores in SC, GA and FL. Not sure where else they are. They do have a website.

2. homerjay says:

I didn’t realize they had physical stores. I’ve ordered from them before online and the quality is okay. Definitely worth the price they charge compared to other brands.

I’m not sure that these prices are much better than their regular prices. Plus they run sales weekly. I suggest you avoid giving them your email address or you’ll know about each and every one of these sales like I do.

3. adamondi says:

They have some physical locations here in Western Washington, and my brother (a diesel mechanic) swears by their stuff. Super affordable and usually durable. He and his wife do a large portion of their Christmas shopping there every year.

4. Magister says:

Yeah, the prices for Black Friday don’t seem to be any different from thier regular sales. I would recommend to only buy things at sale prices. Just about anything will be on sale within a few weeks, and depending on the store, you might be able to get a sale price at any time.

5. thrillhouse says:

HF is great as noted above. They have stores in TX too. I have a 12″ digital caliper (mitutoyo knock-off), that I picked up for $15 or 20. Well worth it.

Before buying anything there, I ask myself, “At this price, do I care if it breaks in 6 months?”

Anyways, lots of cool stuff, but the catalogs are poorly organized.

6. peter_yue says:

Most people in other countries cannot afford the same standard like developed countries need or want.

7. mfergel says:

Virginia as well and they have a warehouse in either North Carolina or South Carolina. I don’t remember which, but you are able to shop there as well. I stopped in once on the way back from Florida once. Really good deals at that locations.

Some of their products are ok. Some suck big time. They have a scroll saw that can’t cut a straight line and is totally worthless. The heat gun won’t turn back on until it has cooled. Design of their tire changer leaves something to be deserved, but, as mentioned previously, if you need a tool that you don’t use more than a couple of times a year, it’s a good enough deal. What can you expect from Chinese craftmanship?

8. Ass_Cobra says:

Have them in Philly as well. The wrench set that I bought there (to disable my car alarm which was parked in the lot of the shopping center they are in) was made in india so I don’t think it’s all chinese products. 3 dollars for 6 metric wrenches was a bargain.

9. thrillhouse says:

“I believe that HF is either a Chinese brand or they are Chinese made products. Seems like a good alternative to Dewalt/B&D products.”

Who do you think makes Dewalt/B&D products?

10. VA_White says:

There are stores in Arizona as well. My husband (a former aircraft mechanic) hates HF because the quality isn’t up to his standards. I admit I would not want to fly on a plane maintained by HF tools BUT for what I need the tools to do, they are just fine.

I needed a rubber mallet and a small jewelers hammer for a craft project. Less than $2 apiece at HF.

I would not count on HF tools to fix a plane, remodel a kitchen, or build a house but for the occasional fix-it, they are great, have clean stores, good help, and prices that you can’t beat.

11. Citron says:

Harbor Freight is great for buying really odd things on the cheap, too. So far, my boyfriend’s cousin has bought night vision goggles, a machete, and a 250-lb magnet.

12. Ass_Cobra says:

I hope this lands him on some kind of homeland security list.

13. acceptablerisk says:

They’re good for “occasional tools.” For your “go-to” tools that you use all the time, I’d pick a more reputable brand. But for stuff that’s handy to have around but you don’t use often, they’re great.

Really, how fancy does an angle grinder need to be and how often to most people need one?

14. Tonguetied says:

I’ll second what people are saying. We have at least one store here in Austin. They are decent but not great. Worth an occassional look see.

15. AcidReign says:

…..I tend to stick to tool brands I trust, like Leatherman, Craftsman (hand-tools only), Kobalt, Milwaukee Electric, etc. I learned when an off-brand circular saw shaft snapped while I was sawing oak. The blade jumped out of the guard and cut an inch-deep slice into my forearm.