Mickey D’s Responds To Flogs

We asked JSH&A for a comment regarding the McDonald’s flogs, and we got it:

Thank you for your email. I do not have a formal comment from McDonald’s for publication, however I can confirm that the blog from the 2004 MONOPOLY at McDonald’s winner has closed, as the MONOPOLY at McDonald’s promotion ended yesterday, October 30.”

Thank you, JSH&A, for confirming that when you go to Mcdmillionwinner, you get a Blogger.com 404 not found.

Also, we would interpret JSH&A’s ability to confirm the closing of one blog as a tacit admission of ownership. Not that we didn’t know that already.

We’ve asked JSH&A to
keep us in mind if McDonald’s develops any thoughts on why the blogs had no official notices on them demarcating that they were official McDonald’s blogs.

Previously: EXCLUSIVE: McDonald’s Promotes Monopoly Game With Flogs

Comments

1. timmus says:

I agree, that’s a smoking gun right there.

It occurred to me it would be kind of funny to do a fake blog of this type for some evil corporation, but make so pathetic that it actually embarrasses the company.

2. ajn007 says:

Something like this?

or this?

3. mechanismatic says:

ajnoo7,

I especially love this line from http://www.dowethics.com:

“As a publicly owned corporation, Dow is unable, due to share-price concerns, to accept any responsibility for the Bhopal catastrophe caused by our fully owned subsidiary, Union Carbide. As an individual, however, you can help as your conscience dictates: visit Bhopal.net or Bhopal.org.”

Translation: Because it would cost too much money and we’re not legally obligated to, we won’t do shit about something that really is our fault. But feel free to put your own money into solving the problem if you like.

4. Triteon says:

Sorry, but yet again we’ve gone astray of the subject. Why is it Union Carbide was brought into the fray?

5. segfault, registered cat offender says:

“Previously” link is broken…

6. aestheticity says:

Because timmus said ‘It occurred to me it would be kind of funny to do a fake blog of this type for some evil corporation, but make so pathetic that it actually embarrasses the company’.

Ajin then said ‘Something like this? http://www.gatt.org or this? http://www.dowethics.com

Both of which are subversive fake blogs set up to embarass their respective organisations. By The Yes Men, I believe. So subversive blogs – slogs? – it has already been done. The Bhopal disaster killed nearly 20 thousand people and left hundreds of thousands wounded and ill for the rest of their lives, and Bhopal is still contaminated and continues to harm and kill people. I don’t think it can be brought up enough, frankly.

7. Pelagius says:

Looks like Ms. Schroeder powered her way through quite a few Big Macs on her way to the big win. I guess $1M buys a fair amount of personal training. And arthroscopic surgery.

8. RandomHookup says:

Pelagius—

I’m sure her knees are shot, too, but were you perhaps going for angioplasty?

9. Pelagius says:

Sure. And throw in a triple bypass, too.

10. ckilgore says:

Last night I ran into Mc Donald’s to get happy meals for the kids (because, really, after eating 3 pounds of candy each, what’s the point of worrying about nutrition?) and while I was waiting for my food, a lady came up with her 10 piece chicken nuggets and said “Excuse me, but these are stale.”

The kid behind the counter said “Are you really surprised?”

I want him to write a blog.