HOWTO: Drop Landline, Keep DSL

Man gets rid of his landline, or “snail phone,” but maintains his DSL service, saves money, lives to tell the tale.

Here’s the need-to-know basis:

• Ask your phone company for dry-loop DSL.
• Port your number to a VoIP provider to avoid breaks in service.
• Will require a credit card for billing
• May have to endure up to two weeks without DSL service.

Be sure to ask about pricing first. Depending on your provider, it may cost more than having bundled phone and DSL.

Or you could funk all that noise, drop your phone company all together, and get DSL-only service from a company like Speakeasy.

Cutting The Cord [Eat Our Brains via BoingBoing]

Comments

1. Ran Kailie says:

There are also other providers they provide DSL sans-phone line already, such as Speakeasy.net

2. Ben Popken says:

Oh yeah, good point. I will add that in.

3. Plaid Rabbit says:

They are absolutely awesome. Unfortuneatly, they’re only available in places where the phone company will let them in the switching stations to provide the service. I was able to get BellSouth to let them in (although with horribly downgraded service due to BS being a bunch of ass munches), but Verizon will not – meaning I had to leave the most knowledgeable, people friendly and tech-friendly service provider I’ve ever had and go back to the no-nothing, give-nothing fuckwads at Verizon. The service is okay, but dealing with the billing on a dry-loop is like pulling teeth sometimes.

Here’s a tip to anyone who gets the dry loop DSL with Verizon – you still have a “phone number”, but it doesn’t ring anything. SAVE THIS. It’s the only thing that Verizon has to track your order when you first get it installed, and if you lose it, it’s damn near impossible to get them to find your service order if something goes wrong. Also, since you don’t have a real account with a working phone number, you have to pay your bill over the phone ($2.00 surcharge) or via snail mail – no online payment, since the system isn’t set up to pay dry-loop DSL accounts. (This may have changed, but as of last month, it was the case. I call and harass them every month to see if they’ve fixed that)

Do your homework, and go with Speakeasy if you can. They were nothing but awesome to me, and I wish I could have them back.

4. Ran Kailie says:

Speakyeasy is the shizzle… to bad covad sucks the big one.

5. ajn007 says:

I checked out Speakeasy. Why the hell do they require my address, zip code, full name AND phone number AND email addres in order for me to find out if they service my area? I smell a rat.

6. Ran Kailie says:

I called them to see if it was available for me. I believe its because they resell Covad, so they like to be able to follow up with you regarding it, because even if the system doesn’t see it being available it may not be the case.

But I’d used their system to check my house several months before getting service, didn’t get anything other then one call to let me know they were running a free month and free hardware promo.

7. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

Qwest sells DSL without a landline where I live. It’s $5 extra per month if you don’t have a phone line, but that’s a lot cheaper than the price of actually having the line. Speed and service seem pretty solid too. I’ve only had it for 6 months, but I’m a happy camper so far.

8. HawkWolf says:

Just a plug for speakeasy. They’re a great company. Getting my naked DSL from them was a huge pain in the ass, however it was not because they had terrible support – the reseller stuff is just inherently a big pile of poop as far as I can tell. The process required a lot of intervention on my part (warning! if you’re on the east coast, their sales people aren’t 24hr and are in seattle! but they have Bjork for hold music) but they were very eager to help and make sure things got done.

Their contract has stuff like, “we will charge you 300 dollars if the technician can’t install”, but when I forgot that the wiring closet wasn’t accessible until my apartment office opened, thus generating a 300 dollar charge, they immediately reversed it without a single peep. Note I was never actually ‘charged’ that much, it just went on and then came off a bill.

Also note that they were super nice with not trying to ‘retain’ me when I moved and switched to Comcast (gasp! although it is much faster…)

And, I cancelled right after a billing cycle, so they refunded my last month and the prorated amount for the current month – no wishy washy stuff with ‘we’ll credit you’ blah blah blah. They mailed me a real live check for the $95 bucks.

Finally, the DSL always Just Worked. I’m not sure if that’s a testament to Covad or Speakeasy, but someone got something right.

9. parkmyphonenumber says:

It is possible. What you are trying to do is to turn your DSL service to be “Naked”. We cannot guarantee that any of the services or features currently attached to your phone line will be preserved. You should check that and DOUBLE CHECK it with your current phone company. Many companies might disable the features and services on a phone line, after it is ported away.

However, we have had customer succeeding in converting their DSL phone line to a “naked DSL”. Below is some info contributed by a customer who was kind enough to send it to us, for your information:

Here are the main steps in achieving a “Naked DSL” after porting your phone number to us while keeping your DSL service.

1) Sign up to manage your account online, (Verizon customers should go to verizon.net not verizon.com) log in and sign up for credit card billing for your DSL service.

2) Signup for ParkMyPhone.com service and send in the forms.

3) No down time should be observed during the porting process.

4) Later, you might receive an email from your DSL company, asking you to switch to online credit card billing (if you haven’t already done so). (www.parkmyphone.com)