Sprint Reps Continue Lying To Avoid Letting You Cancel

Sprint’s retention process has gotten almost as bad as AOL’s.

James tried to cancel Sprint over the text message rate change. The rep told him no. The rep said there’s no more contract cancellations, as Sprint is returning the text message fees back to 10 cents from 15. James got the rep’s ID and hung up.

A few days later, when James called back and supplied the rep’s ID, Sprint told him there was no so person.

We just called Sprint and inquired about their per message text message rates. The rate remains at 15 cents.

Reminder, you only have 4 days left to cancel your contract due to the change in their Terms of Service. If you don’t want to wait at all, calling 1-888-567-5528 will connect you directly to a live operator.

Related: Defeat Sprint’s Rate Hike Cancellation Lies

Comments

1. Xkeeper says:

It’s like AOL, except Sprint.

I should talk to my aunt about this, too — last I checked, she still worked for Sprint…

2. billhelm says:

What they did is close the loophole and are grandfathering existing customers back to .10 cents a minute on their text messaging. That removes it from being a material change.

New customers are paying .15

3. The Unicorn says:

hey, y’all,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting that retention number. I called them yesterday, told them I had heard of the $.10–>$.15 cancellation loophole, & that I wanted to switch to TMobile because they’d give me a free phone & a better plan.

the guy I spoke to wasn’t hard-sell-y at all; just asked what my new plan would be, and got all the details of my impending switch. he then offered me a new, better plan than my current one with Sprint (an extra 600 anytime minutes for the same price, which is great given that my cellphone is also my only phone) and gave me a $200 new phone credit — meaning I’m getting a free camera/video phone, much nicer than my current one, to boot.

so, Sprint customers, even if you’re not actually planning on cancelling your Sprint service (something I had no intention of actually doing), you should probably give them a call just to see what kind of deal you can get. I did have to sign up for a new two-year contract, but given that I’ve already been a Sprint customer for over four years that doesn’t really bother me.

AND, you’re doing the poor call center drones a service, because I’m sure whomever I spoke with gets points for converting a potential cancellation into a contract. win-win situation!

4. goinan says:

Have been prommised expanded coverage for the almost 2 years I’ve been in contract…when contacted cust. svc.,(three times before I received this response): they promised to address the coverage issues, but then apologized (3 times, in the e-mail-1st for lack of response, 2nd for my experiencing poor coverage, 3rd for my not feeling that I was advised properly regarding the text message rate hike), said they expand, but had no time frame for coverage expansion in my area. Then said they don’t waive the ETF for increase in text messaging. I guess I’m important enough to them to refuse to let me out of the contract, but NOT important enough for them to fulfill their promises!

5. pvtxtyc says:

I work for Sprint- mainly because of the horrible service I received as a customer. I could tell you stories about what goes on inside the company that would shock everyone… As far as the text messaging rates changing- Customer Care was not informed that customer’s could actually cancel their service without penalty until October 15th- which was nearly halfway through the legal window of opportunity. We are trained by default to deny and refuse any such attempts even if we are without logical argument or standing.

6. jfkindc says:

Sprint is a nightmare! My mother is on my account and I was paying for insurance for it. It was constantly dropping calls so she took it to a sprint store. They gave it back to her and it wouldn’t work at all. She came to visit me in DC and we went to another store to get a replacement. They informed me the $4 a month insurance didn’t cover equipment replacement. I didn’t have the right plan for the 2 of us to use 1 account and was unwilling to change the plan and get stuck with another 2 year contract.

I was livid about the broken phone. I called to cancel and the retention rep promised me a full credit of $179 if I purchased a new phone at full price and no additional contract. The credit was never honored. I have called and called them and have been promised the credit and it doesn’t happen. They are despicable. When I do call I never wait less than 20 minutes before someone answers. They lie, lie, lie.

7. toobadsprint says: