E in “Verizon” Found Upside Down

Verizon is so busy never stopping working for you they forgot to hire a proofreader.

Pronunciation key: “Vahri-zohn,” rhymes with maricone.

Why I’m needed [Marketing Mommy]

Related: The (3rd) Definition of Belying

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

Seems a little petty considering Consumerist can’t spell “U-Haul” in the headline below.

2. Falconfire says:

Here is my question… how the hell did that happen?

You have to go out of your way to do stuff like that, I have a hard time seeing either a graphic designer or whoever gave the designer the copy for the ad hitting the right key combo while typing Verizon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whoever was creating that ad had a virus on their machine.

3. How did they get the ‘e’ to be upside down? Is there a shortcut for that special character? Otherwise, it seems like it would be hard to do that on accident.

4. Triteon says:

Popken’s writing copy now…?
    Or this has been intentionally done in order to bring attention to ad– free publicity! It’s happened before.

5. Angiol says:

It could be an ‘a’ in a weird font, but that would still be a large typo.

6. It’s not just an upside down E, it’s also flipped horizontally if that is the case. If it indeed is an E then it was very certainly done deliberately. I’d like to toss my coin in with “disgruntled marketer” ;)

7. Falconfire says:

Other thing I just thought about.. could be a bad font package on the printers side. You would be amazed at the crap that can happen between sending the file and printing, we used to have all kinds of shit going on at the student paper I ran where the sections would display fine on our end only to be missing ads and other things at the printers side despite sending all the proper files.

8. Nancy Sin says:

It could be a goofy Mac to PC (or vice versa) thing between agency and printer. But yeah, you know 10 people glazed it over and signed off on it before it got this far.

This is why you get proofs from the printer. Good grief.

9. phrygian says:

The first thing I thought: Someone published a comp! Granted, I would never provide a mock-up that misspelled the customer’s name, but it’s not unheard of.

10. Antediluvian says:

Hey Consumerist — What’s with the gratuitous anti-gay slur?
    ‘Maricon’ is Spanish for faggot.
    Or did you mean something else w/ the rightside-up ‘e’ at the end?
    Either way, doesn’t seem very nice.

11. Javin says:

Oh Give it up, Antidiluvian.

1.) It’s not Gratuitous by ANY definition.
    2.) It’s also a MALE NAME that’s not terribly uncommon.
    3.) Find a REAL fight to start.