Neurotically Yours: Tech Support

Cute flash movie about Foamy the Squirrel trying to get technical support for a Dell laptop. NSFW with a few lil’ cursies.

“Why am I paying for first-rate tech support from a third-world country?”

The non-sequitorial Halloween theme at the beginning also provides a nice seasonal touch.

You can see more Foamy at illwillpress.

(Thanks to Karl Hungus!)

Comments

1. Savage says:

Funny, but not very PC.

2. steve says:

First things first, the actual website for Foamy (the name of the squirrel) is illwillpress.com
    They have a rotating archive of the flash cartoons on the site.
    There is at least one sequel to this video, and possibly more.

3. mechanismatic says:

Savage,

You say “but not very PC” like that’s a bad thing.

Btw, the truth isn’t very PC either…

4. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

There’s definitely nothing PC (or polite) about Foamy. Personally, I think it’s funny as hell. Your mileage may vary.

Even crude internet satire can contain a kernel of truth (or in this case, several).

5. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

There’s nothing PC (or polite, for that matter) about foamy. Personally, I think it’s funny as hell. Your mileage may vary.

Even crude internet humor can contain a kernel of truth, however (or in this case, several).

6. mechanismatic says:

Savage,

You say “but not very PC,” like that’s a bad thing.

Btw, the truth isn’t very PC either…

7. FLConsumer says:

Can we say the F-word here? If so, then F— political correctness and other bullsh*t along those lines! I think half the mess we find our society in is because we tapdance around the truth. If I hear “How may I provide you with excellent service?” one more time when I call a business, I think I’m going to puke.

8. moejuda says:

Is your customer support really any better from people here in the states? Plenty of posts on this site would make me believe otherwise. Not that I haven’t thrown the phone in anger after a bewildering call with someone in India who couldn’t deviate from his (poorly translated) script. It is just that I recall doing the same thing after dealing with domestic CSRs.

9. homerjay says:

I didn’t think that was funny at all.
    In fact, I found it to be a highly inaccurate depiction of outsourced support.
    First of all, the support rep was WAAAAAAY too easy to understand and spoke in a clear voice.
    Second, outsourced reps NEVER admit that they are not in America.
    Third, the caller refers to “Tech support here” as if that actually exists.

The only accurate part of this whole thing is the fact that the caller ended up fixing his own computer.

10. I love when I obviously get a call center in Bangalore and the guy says in a thick accent “This is Steven, what is your name being, and how may I help you?”

“Well Steve, let’s just call me Sandeep. Here’s my problem…”

11. ChazB says:

Foamy rules. Hands down. The site alows you to view the last 29 episodes (most recent on the main page and 28 in the “TOONS” section) online. I’m pretty sure the only way to view older stuff is via another site (newgrounds, youtube, etc) or by buying the DVDs. Worth the investment if you ask me.

Oh, and there are, in fact, two sequals to “Tech Support”, and they are both available in the vault.

As far as being PC? Fuck the PC pushing whiners. If everything were as PC as they try to force everyone to be, we’d all live in a much better world.

12. “Is your customer support really any better from people here in the states?”

Sometimes.

I wonder if call centers in India have to keep their calls that escalate to the US under a certain percentage? My phone/DSL company is customer service outsourced and the friggin’ LINES that attach to my house keep detaching. Before they were outsourced I could get quickly escalated to local line repair folks. Now that they’re in India, they make me reboot my computer six times, plug and unplug my phone repeatedly, and categorically refuse to escalate me. They’ll only put in a “trouble ticket,” never let me speak to actual local repair people. (And let’s note that because this is my PHONE not working, I’m burning minutes on my cell to talk to the fine fine people of India. Even if you lie and TELL them you’re rebooting the computer when you’re not bothering, you have to leave in a little lag or they know you’re lying.)

It’s almost enough to make me pay twice as much for internet with the cable company, because at least they have a local number to call for repairs.