Get Your Free Legal Forms Here!

Need legal forms? A buying agreement? A selling agreement? Employment contract? A lease? A loan? The Internet Legal Research Group has enough of them to start building a Tower of Babel of Legalese.

Needless to say, you’ll still require a lawyer, but if you want to appear to look like someone who knows the law without actually bothering to consult someone, this is the place to go.

The ILRG seems pretty confident: “we’ll pay $50 to any person who can demonstrate that one of our forms is not compliant with state law.” Let the contest start… now! [via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. Law-Vol says:

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
    Even the (comparatively well-settled) law of contract varies so much from state to state that forms like these scare the bejeezus out of me.

Instead of using stuff like this, find an ethical, well-reputed lawyer (yes, they do exist) and tell him or her what you need. If the form required is, in fact, standard in your jurisdiction, the most you could expect to pay is about 0.5 hours of lawyer time. That’s around $50, unless you’re located in major major city. Plus, if something does go wrong, you have the lawyer and his Errors & Omissions carrier behind any foul-ups. I doubt the online forms are much cheaper and I guarantee they come with no such backstop.

Professionals are professional for a reason. Use ‘em.

Disclosure: I am a law student. Duh.

2. acambras says:

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m with Law-Vol. Case in point: anyone who’s lived in Louisiana for more than a week knows that one-size-fits-all forms are worthless there.

I don’t cut my own hair, I don’t perform surgery on myself, and I don’t try to be my own lawyer. Like Law-Vol says, professionals are professional for a reason.

3. Law-Vol says:

WOOPS! Ok, so Free IS cheaper. I still doubt it’s a good idea.

Would you take medical advice from a non-doctor just because he offered $50 to anyone who could disprove his diagnosis?

4. Citron says:

Sites like this advertise at the end of the closing credits of those ubiquitous Judge So-And-So programs . . . of which I am certainly not a viewer, thank you very much. Heh.

5. limiter says:

Yeah ok, if you are buying a business, house, or going to sue someone don’t use these, but some of these forms actually are useful and wouldn’t be the end of the world if they were not written right. For instance the Demand of Delivery, and Notice to Correct Credit. If you get caught using cheap legal forms the worst that happens is the recipient laughs at you.

6. SecureLocation says:

Hmmm, seems most of the complaints here are from folks with a vested interest in lawyering.

7. Shaggy says:

My father-in-law is a lawyer, and he loves this kind of stuff. You know why? ‘Cause when you screw up (and, more than half the time, you will) you’re gonna have to hire a lawyer. And then, not only will the lawyer get the $$ from doing whatever paperwork you’re trying to get done, but they’ll also get the $$ from trying to fix whatever you messed up.

Having the proper paperwork and doing a little homework is a good thing. But, just like you don’t perform dentistry on yourself or remove your own appendix, don’t handle your own legal affairs. Hire an expert,

8. Sam Glover says:

Yes, I have a vested interest in lawyering, but “compliant with state law” is not the same as “meets your legal needs.”

Think about the document you need and its value. Do you really want to pay pennies for a document that will determine whether your inheritance gets passed properly to your children? Or determines your ownership right in your home? Etc. etc. etc.

If nothing else, at least if you hire a lawyer and it goes wrong, you can sue them. I’ll be willing to bet you sign an arbitration agreement when you accept these contracts, and if you don’t understand why that is a problem, check this out: http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2006/10/national_arbitr….