Build A Killer Cashback Deck

Blueprint For Financial prosperity has put together a list of the cards offering higher-than-normal cashback returns, and what transactions they’re best suited for.

“How you structure your strategy depends on how you spend and I know that I spend a lot on gasoline and supermarket purchases (6% Citi Drivers Edge) and on textbooks and eating out (5% Citi mtvU) so I found cards that gave me high returns. You will have to build your strategy based on your specific needs…”

By combining cards in your wallet and whipping out the right one for the right purchase, you can save some serious change.

If you have an active imagination, it’s like playing personal finance Yu-Gi-Oh!

My Credit Card Strategy” [Blueprint For Financial Prosperity]

Comments

1. Damn, your title is so much better than my lame ‘my credit card strategy’ title.

2. methane says:

I have a couple of questions regarding this. I was also recently disenchanted by Citi when they lowered the payout on the Dividends Card. I’d like to cancel and get a different, better card, but I don’t know how this will affect my credit history. Right now, I’ve got pretty good credit, and pay off my bills every month. Will canceling my my card adversly affect my credit? Will getting another credit card adversly affect my credit? And, Can I get Citibank to simply change my Dividend card to their Driver’s Edge Card, or do I have to do this cancelling dance?

3. The_Truth says:

How about cash back offers on Debit Cards?

I hate credit cards with a passion, Im a loyal BofA customer why not reward me?

4. BoA does have the Keep The Change program.

5. CaptainRoin says:

Pah! That ‘Keep the Change’ thing is crap, its still your money. You spend $3.50, they charge your card $4 and put $0.50 in your savings account. It just forces you to move money to savings.

6. ColoradoShark says:

To methane:
    1.Watch Suze Orman if you have questions about credit scores.
    2.No need to cancel the card. Just stop using it if you don’t like it unless you’ve been silly enough to get a card with an annual fee.
    3.Do not cancel old credit cards. It closes down your credit history which will harm your score. This is particularly true with a card you have had for a long time.

7. methane says:

Good advice. I was looking around and found something that I thought might be useful to us consumerists. MasterCard (and visa) don’t allow merchants to require minimum purchase amounts. Which means that every time you see a sign that says “Must buy $xx.xx worth of merchandise to use credit” they’re violating their Merchant terms of service. Master Card has a form where you can report merchant misbehaviour:

8. Myron says:

This is just a laundry list of affiliate links to reward cards. Did “Blueprint For Financial prosperity” submit the story to Consumerist? If so, I think you’ve been had.