Macy’s Sweeps Stolen Carpet Under The Rug

When Seth G. bought a splendid new carpet from Macy’s for over $1,500 bucks, Macy’s didn’t send it via Fed Ex. They didn’t send it via DHL. Heck, not even UPS. They sent it by a little company called Roadway. Hey, Macy’s didn’t get rich by not knowing how to pinch some pennies.

Five weeks after buying the carpet, and after two weeks of phone calls, Seth G. was told that the carpet had been stolen from the Roadway truck. Hey, that happens… I mean, a huge, unwieldy 50 pound carpet is an obvious target for agile criminals.

Seth G. called Macy, demanding a refund. But Macy’s didn’t get rich by refunding money. Seth’s email, after the jump.

I bought a rug from Macy’s over 2 months ago in LA and was told to expect delivery in about 2 weeks. I spent a little over $1,500 bucks, and after 3 weeks went by I got nervous and started asking for a tracking number. The salesman at Macy’s got back to me a week later with a tracking number not for Fed Ex, DHL, or even UPS — they use a company called Roadway, which i’ve never even heard of.

After 2 weeks of calls with Roadway telling me the rug was in LA and “on the truck” I started to call Macy’s and demand my money back. Macy’s told me since they had a tracking number, they weren’t responsible and I should keep calling Roadway. After getting in touch with the management at Roadway, they confessed to me the rug was stolen and would never be delivered. I relayed this to Macy’s, and they agreed to refund me my money — telling me it would take 7 days to credit the account. Except three weeks later, I still haven’t received a credit to my account.

Every time I call Macy’s, they tell me to call a different department, and if that doesn’t work they’ll tell me since they have a tracking number I have to call Roadway…it just goes in circles. Once I get the right person on the phone, after 6 different 800 numbers, I finally get someone who tells me they’re crediting my card — and it’ll take 7 days. I have voicemails saved on my phone from these guys telling me they are refunding my money — but i feel like i’m just stuck in a loop at this point.

I don’t know if there’s anything else that can be done, but I know i’d feel a lot better if other people were warned about the kind of BS Macy’s pulls on people. Never order any kind of furniture unless it’s done through a well known shipper — I figure Macy’s would know better. But hey — they probably saved 6 bucks, right?

Comments

1. RickyF says:

Why not contact your credit card company and dispute the Macy*s charge since they never delivered the purchased item? That puts the onus on Macy*s and off of you.

2. max andrews says:

Go to an actual Macy’s store – doesn’t matter which one really. Ask to speak with a manager at the customer service desk. Be polite. When you meet the manager, tell him that the carpet you bought was never delivered, it was reported stolen by roadway, and that you have been promised several times a refund but never recieved one, and that this is a huge inconvenience to you and you would like to resolve the matter. Bring copies of credit card statements so you can prove you haven’t been reimbursed. Bring all receipts and info related to transactions. Put the recordings you have onto an ipod or mp3 player and bring that too, with headphones. You should be able to walk out of the store with a check, or at least a “promise to pay” letter.

3. DAK says:

Granted, this is only a small part of the problem, but it is not at all unusual for merchants to ship via freight carriers like Roadway, especially for a 50 lb. item like that rug. Macy’s is the problem – they need to refund the money and take care of the issue with Roadway.

4. homerjay says:

Can everyone say “CHARGEBACK”
    Its half the reason to use a credit card for big transactions. The other half is because you can’t pay for it. :)

5. Magister says:

We seem to have a lot of people complaining about refunds, but they used a credit card. First thing you should do when they start delaying on your refund is to dispute the charges.

BTW, Roadway isn’t a small company. They are a pretty huge freight shipper.

6. timmus says:

YES — chargeback. If there’s no delivery signature, that’s like 10 points in your favor right there.

7. DeeJayQueue says:

Roadway is indeed a huge freight shipper. They’re mostly if not completely B2B. I’m suprised Macy’s used them for a residential shipment. For Reals though, chargeback to macy’s, or threaten to on the phone and you’ll get your money back, or your rug.

8. kicka says:

I agree, going into the Macy’s may help. I would threaten to sue. It’s not unusual nowadays to have to call several times to get a refund. I liken it to insurance claims – the unwritten policy must be to delay the customer’s request, hoping the customer will eventually give up. It’s no skin off their teeth because when you finally get the refund, after time, energy and aggravation, they simply apologize for taking so long.

9. John Stracke says:

I don’t think Roadway is that small. I suppose might be rare in California, but I see their trucks all the time east of the Mississippi. They’re not new, either; I remember seeing them back in the 70s.

10. tallorder says:

There’s a little known law that allows you to sue for “loss of use of your money.” If you would take this to court the final judgement could be much more than $1500. Pay a lawyer $100 to write a letter to Macys threatening a loss of use of money lawsuit and watch how fast you get your money back.

11. AppTechie says:

Remember to get the finance fees waived or refunded when you get your refund or process the chargeback. There is absolutely NO reason you should have to pay finance fees on something you were never delivered.

12. Ben Popken says:

Joshua writes:

“Roadway is most definitely not a little unknown mom and pop trucking service. i don’t know much about them, but at many jobs i’ve had the company used them to ship stuff. I would go back to the store I bought it from and speak to either the original salesman or the manager there. Go on a busy day, and speak loudly but politely. They’ll be more inclined to help if other customers can hear of your problem (just like the comsumerist).”

13. AcilletaM says:

Roadway is huge, does mainly b2b truckload (TL) and less-than-truckload (LTL) shipping. Roadway Express, a subsidiary, does the retail delivery and does it for a lot of businesses. Big/heavy packages and shipments are usually way cheaper to ship LTL than with FedEx or UPS.

14. humphrmi says:

I realize it might be too late, but also if Roadway is admitting that the rug was stolen, ask them for the police report info. If they have not reported it to the police, ask them why and when they might. Maybe even suggest that if they don’t call the police, you might (for their area) – all in the name of getting the proper paperwork, naturally. Once you have that, your CC chargeback is pretty much assured.

15. Triteon says:

I hate to defend Macy’s, but they also didn’t get rich by having poor customer service. I agree with the posters who suggested going in to a store. And with the recent buyout and rebranding (of May Department stores) that isn’t too difficult these days. But I suppose it depends on how much you feel your time is worth.

16. AcilletaM says:

Macy’s bought a number of regional department stores like May and Marshall Fields and is having a hell of a time with convincing people to come into their stores now. At least in the Chicago area where people complaining about the loss of Fields got almost nightly coverage.

17. AppTechie says:

They also bought Foley’s (most noticeably here in Texas) and Robinson’s May (incredibly good store in California) and went through like a whirling dervish bringing the suckitude. Now I will have to see if Dillards or Sears has anything good because Macy’s sucks and has crappy prices that are way above where they should be.

18. scottyj520 says:

It is likely that the terms of the shipment are “FOB Dock”, meaning you own that specific rug as soon as the freight carrier picks it up from the dock. If the freight carrier loses it or damages it, then it is their fault and you need to file a claim with them. You will probably need to provide your reciept to them when filing the claim.
    Freight sometimes gets lost – it has happened to me many times with many different carriers – none are immune. I have had luck calling the local service centers directly, and having them physically search for my lost freight. Track it online and you will know where it was – it gets scanned whenever it stops and this is shown online. Speak to the freight scheduler instead of customer service – they can get things done quickly and they can do it themselves, so you dont get bounced around from one person to another.

19. mamasan says:

one thing that i have found helpful in the past (i work production support on a project with lots of software that don’t necessarily interact well with each other) is to get CSRs from both parties on one conference call – most cell phones can do conference calling these days – and have them work it out. companies loooove to blame other companies for mistakes… except when the other companies are on the same phone call.

20. Sethg says:

I’ve gone to the store several times — each time they told me they can’t touch my order in store, I have to call the same BS 800 numbers that give me a run around.

I wasn’t aware roadway was such a large shipper, but my experience with them didn’t leave me with a great impression.

I claimed a dispute with my credit card immediately. However, Macy’s isn’t cooperating with the credit card company telling them they have a tracking number, so i’m just waiting to hear back from mastercard.

Thanks for the comments guys.

21. LauraLaura says:

I had a similar problem with Macy’s. I ordered a $1,500 area rug and the day after I ordered it I took my husband in to the store to see it. He did not like the rug and we cancelled it and selected a different rug that we both liked. Macy’s forgot to cancel the first rug and 2 weeks later we received. Not knowing it was the wrong one we opened it and then had the unpleasant task of trying to re-use the packing from UPS which is who they currently use. Macy’s said they could not remove it from our credit card until their factory received the rug back. One day I phoned and was told the rug had been received back at their wharehouse. But then when the credit had still not been run and it was another 2 weeks I called again. This time I had to call UPS to get a tracking done and they finally told me the rug had been lost. Macy’s failed to return my numerous calls it took from November 21 until the end of January to get a credit. Then we were told the correct rug was on back order. We waited until it shipped end of January and that rug was shipped by Fed. Ex. That rug has also disappeared and we never recived it. When I phoned Macy’s and said since no one is returning my calls and this second rug is lost I just want a refund and I’ll never deal with Macy’s again. They said well you have to pay a 25 percent charge because the rug was a special order. I said no it wasn’t get a supervisor on this phone call. Finally a supervisor told me this was a mistake and they would take the rug off my card and not charge the 25 percent she said the other person was mistaken. As of February we have not received a credit I will see how many phone calls it will take to get this off my card. It seems that rug theft must be a big business out there. I can’t understand why Macy’s doesnt’ use a delivery service as they did for the sofa I ordered. I would love to buy a chair from Macy’s as their products are nice quality but not now. Heaven help me if I ever need repair on the sofa because their customer service just never returns calls it was unbelievable.