Cheapest Cars to Own Over 5 Years

“Now in their 20th year, IntelliChoice’s Best Overall Value of the Year awards reflect the only data-driven automotive analysis focused solely on recognizing vehicles that will cost significantly less to own than would be expected at their purchase prices.”

Here are the sexy results:

Honda and Toyota seem to be delivering the best value for the “normal” type cars. Nice that the Prius hybrid is on heer and see that a car can be both eco-lovin’ and economical.

Best Overall Values Of The Year [IntelliChoice via alexmoskalyukblog]

Comments

1. Woot for the xB!!

2. Nancy Sin says:

I’ve been a Honda/Toyota loyalist for years… not surprised.

3. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Well keep in mind that’s only the base cost of a Civic, you have to factor in the extra $20k worth of after market mods like the huge bat wing and super loud exhuast.

4. JAFO says:

“Nice that the Prius hybrid is on heer and see that a car can be both eco-lovin’ and economical.”

What? Props for Toyota but no mention of the 2 Honda Hybrids on the list?

5. JAFO says:

Oops, my bad. I missed the other Toyota and the Ford Hybrid that are on the list as well.

6. picklefactory says:

I’m gonna get me one of those Civic Si models. 200hp NA engine in that teeny little Civic coupe body, rock-solid Honda build quality, what’s not to love? Yes, it will be replacing my ’95 Civic DX 4-door.

del_ruby: “But it is a little odd that the manual Honda Accord has to have leather to save you money… is that an energy efficiency thing?”

It’s in the “over $21000″ category, so I think it’s just a “get an Accord over $21k” thing.

7. aixwiz says:

I’ve driven a 1996 Honda Accord LX (minus the leather) for the past 10 years and, at 130,000+ miles, it’s still the BEST car I’ve ever had. I’ve kept up with routine maintanance and it still drives like the day I bought it. I expect I’ll still be driving this car when it hits 200K miles.

Once it decides to head for the junkyard, I’m getting a Honda Hybrid!

8. ArtlessDodger says:

A serious problem is that you are not going to find a Prius for

–Alexa

9. what, no mention of the ford focus? it’s only costing me $3k to have the engine rebuilt after four and half years! i’m filled with gratitude every day over my decision to buy that damned car.

10. I’ve owned two hondas; one a 1991 manual accord, and currently a 1995 automatic accord. The first I had driven with almost no oil and no water, and it still ran (albeit with my heater on high). The latter I wouldn’t push that hard, but is still a great car. The only problem with either is that they chew up mufflers and spit them out about every 7 months or so.

My next NEW car, if I ever buy a new car, is definitely going to be a civic.

11. notlazyjustdontcare says:

I’m suspicious of their five-year maintenance calculations on cars, like the Escape Hybrid, that haven’t been available for five years.

12. admin says:

heer? you ignorant ass

13. synergy says:

I bought a 3 year old Civic a year ago and haven’t had to do anything to it so far other than change the oil and a tire because I drop over a staple-looking thing last week. I’ve driven up mountains in west Texas and all over the Hill Country and still getting about 30mpg from a 4 cylinder. I LOVE it.

14. SteveA says:

Sadly, this information is near useless. It doesn’t show how other cars in that class ranked, which would be very helpful. For instance, what if the difference was $5 a year? Some would consider that a tie given that theres no way in hell I’ll be seen driving a Lexus, but if say, the Infinity comes in a close second, then I know I’ll go for that over the Acura.

etc.