Update: Tresemme Color Thrive Conditioner And The Really Bad Hair Day

EEEK! From the horrorshow of Charra D’s scalp after using Tresemme Color Thrive Conditioner.

Charra writes:

I consider myself lucky that the matting did not happen to the top of my head as I would have had to have my head shaved and I am not up to that. I have never heard one word from Alberto/Culver and am still waiting for the products they were sending me to maybe get the tangles out.

When I got over the shock, I was able to realize that even if it were possible to untangle my hair, the hair surely would be pretty damaged and I would have to cut it anyway. Yes, I am vain about my hair which I inherited from my grandmother, and it just kills me to have to cut it.

She lived on a farm in Massachusetts and one of my visual memories of her was watching her put her head forward, brush that lovely hair, and swirl it around to the top of her head into sort of a bun which was held steady with bone hairpins. Thank you for, at least, listening and believing what I had to say.

Charra, my mother actually wanted me to pass on some advice: “I had something similar happen to me, won’t use thier stuff since. Took about 1 week of shampooing and re-shampooing before I finally got it out. If Charra has very long hair it might be impossible without just having to cut it out, but you should suggest that she go and see a good hair dresser before she actually cuts it.”

Consider it suggested! Also, put some peanut butter in it.

Comments

1. sam says:

I’ll just recommend a good conditioner – when I had long hair (down to my waist), the only thing that would work was Biolage conditioner. I had hair that, without good conditioner and brushing for an hour, pretty much looked like Charra’s on a daily basis (a combination of extremely thick and extremely coarse hair). My straight blond hair would naturally dreadlock in a few hours if I wasn’t careful. Now I keep it short (and can sleep at least an hour later in the mornings!), but I swore by Biolage back in the day. It’s expensive, but it was the one thing I would splurge on as a poor college student.

2. ckilgore says:

If you are wanting to do some serious repair set aside a few hours and after you shampoo slather it in olive oil. Put on a shower cap or wrap it up in a warm towel and let it sit for as long as you can stand it. At least an hour. Then rinse, rinse, rinse and shampoo with a gentle shampoo (like a baby shampoo). Then go get some silicone treatment like John Frieda frizz-eaze and put it on the ends every day. Just a drop’ll do ya.

3. juri squared says:

I definitely second the idea of going to a hairdresser – a good one, not your local $7 chop shop. They are pros and can work quite the miracle. It might cost a bit, or it might not depending on how charitable the hairdresser is; mine never charges for “corrections” because she’s nice like that.

Also, I’d definitely stick with pro products in the future. They cost more, but they last longer and do a better job.

Keep an eye out at places like Ulta/ulta.com, which often has great sales. I was in the store yesterday and they had a buy-2-get-1-free sale on pro hair care.

Hope this helps!

4. infinitysnake says:

Nexxus humectress takes out dreads, so it might work on this, too.

5. Trai_Dep says:

Alternately, buy more black clothing, over-apply mascara and: Insta-Goth!!

6. Anonymously says:

Yikes! That’s worse than I imagined it could be. :-(

So, what should Charra do about getting a little consumer satisfaction? I think the company should pay AT LEAST to have the hair fixed…but how does she go about doing that?

7. LRM216 says:

Ok, maybe it’s me, or I’m having an off day or something – but what the heck is that. Is she saying the conditioner tangled her hair all up, or what? Is that the front of her head, the back – and what’s with all the different colors. Someone guide me, please……

8. I really find it hard to beleive the Conditioner is what did this, unless, as mentinoed before, it was tampered with or a defective bottle.

I would find it really tough to blame Tresseme for this. I agree with above- go to a professional salon, be ready to drop $50 and have them do what they can. Hair grows back. Use professional conditioner from now on, especially if you are color treating your hair at home.

9. Nancy Sin says:

On the bright side, look how fabulously shiny those blond ends are!

10. ElleAswell says:

I’m still not sure I buy the whole ‘I only treated my long, curly locks to a regimen of shampoo and water for three years, and now that I’ve finally had the good sense to condition it, it looks hideous (through no fault of my own).’

Long, curly hair is inherently dry and delicate; it requires conditioning in order to replace the moisture stripped away by shampoo. I pretty much popped out o’ the womb with a big, curly mane, and all of my subsequent confabs with hair dressers and musings at such sites as naturallycurly.com [no affiliation] have produced one holy hair maintenance rule, to be upheld before all others: Condition more often than you shampoo.

It would be very big of Alberto/Culver to honour our dear Charra’s request. Hopefully they will. But methinks that perhaps the error lies not in the product, but in its (mis-)use.

11. omicronpersei8 says:

Was there a seal on the conditioner bottle? I’m just asking because someone could have emptied some superglue in the bottle while it was on the shelf.

Not that I would do anything like that, or empty a bottle of Nair into the a shampoo bottle, or crunch up blocks of dye and empty the poweder into the shower drain so it backs up when you start the shower and gives you smurf feet.

12. Keter says:

Hey, Dr. Proteus…
    I had that same dreadful tangle occur a few years ago as the result of using a very expensive “natural” product. It happens when proteins in the product interact in unexpected ways with protein in the hair. BTW, judging by your profile photo, you could use some good conditioner, too. ;o)

Interestingly, the comment about using olive oil is exactly what I would have recommended against. I’ve had olive oil frizz my hair terribly. Same with mayo. Peanut butter is for getting out chewing gum!

Charra, try any of the good ultra-conditioners like Pantene or Infusium and leave them in for a long time, but don’t let them get dry. Alternately, you might try re-dying your hair. I like Revlon; it is gentle. The process restructures the proteins and might just work!

13. ApathyGirl says:

A day of riding roller-coasters and surfing once left my waist-length hair in a similar state.
    I tried all kinds of detangler and combs but what finally worked out all the mats and tangles was this:

I saturated my (dry) hair with my favorite deep conditioner* and let it soak in. (but not dry)

I hopped in a tub a warm water and laid down and, with help, slowly started working the tightest knots loose. Between the conditioner/water coating and expanding the strands, and the weightlessness of floating in the water there was enough leeway to work.

It’s not the most practical solution and there were some mats at the end that I couldn’t save, but I didn’t have to cut it all off, and that’s all I cared about.

(*I use the Feria Conditioner, the kind you get in a little tube with the Feria haircolor. I can only find the big tubes at Sally Beauty)

14. SpamFighterLoy says:

I have used Tresemme on myself and my curly daughter with no problems. I wonder if it was out-of-date? That does happen, especially when you try to purchase salon brands at retail stores … just a thought.

15. aikibriarrose says:

Having used Tresemme shampoo and conditioner for several years now on myself and for my 5 kids, who have naturally kinky and ringlet-curly hair from both me and my husband’s heritage, I have to say that Charra’s hair looks like what happened when my youngest daughter (now 13) first tried to wash and condition her hair all by herself for the first time. (She was 9) Tangles like that resulted in my daughter’s hair when she was twisting and swirling her hair with the conditioner in it. She said it felt neat and slippery and didn’t realize it was tangled until she went to comb it out. Through much patience and the use of more (much more) conditioner and hot water, I managed to get most of the tangles loose.
    Tresemme is one of the few affordable brands that I can use without worry. I’ve never used the colorThrive line, but I don’t think the product was solely to blame.
    Still, if you want something done for restitution, try contacting the customer service department again. They might be dragging their feet to keep from having to send a replacement…though most companies offer some kind of satisfaction guarantee, so they may have lost your complaint.

16. popolklkp says:

Having been a fan of the Shielo brand for years, I decided to splurge and try their Color Protect Conditioner (what’s a few more dollars when you’ve spent hundreds on your haircolor itself!).

In short, it’s the best of the 5 or 6 other conditioning products that I’ve tried to no avail. In the wintery months, it makes my hair glossy and heavy enough not to be statically-charged and flying around my face. Many conditioners can’t seem to accomplish this! I can usually wait to wash my hair every other day (rather than every) in the winter, although when I use this conditioner I’ve found that I can’t skip a day (it gets greasy more quickly). I’ve been using it for about 4 weeks and I haven’t noticed any deterioration in my highlighted color, so that’s wonderful too.

And the smell! I love the smell. It’s light and soothing and makes me feel immediately like I’m in a spa. It’s well worth the money, and a little goes a long way (I use less than a dime-sized amount).