Consumerist T-Shirt Prototype Unveiled

Hey remember we had that tshirt contest and y’all thought up slogans? Well, we finally beat a draft out of our designer.

We’re going to change around the Mystery Shopper font, the shirt will be front-only and not say Consumerist.com, but this is the general idea. What do you think?

At this time we don’t know when the shirts will be available for sale. Just wanted to let you know things are progressing. We should have something for, ‘I’m thinking of writing a strongly worded letter” soon.

Thanks to Matthew Brooks Smith (a reader!) for his fine work so far.

Buy our t-shirts! They’re conspicuous consumption defined.

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

At this time we don’t know when the shirts will be available for sal.

Will it be available for the rest of us or just Sal?

2. XD Yeah! How come Sal gets all the goods!

Incidentally, why not have consumerist.com on the shirt?

3. RumorsDaily says:

It’s there in small print below the mystery shopper text.

The front logo is too large for my taste.

4. thwarted says:

I like it. Can’t wait for the “strongly worded letter” one — hope it’s out by Christmas.

5. Agree with Ingen. It’s an interesting enough logo but I don’t know if I want to wear a conversational piece.

The thematic elements are neat though, I see it as kind of a twist on the “All seeing eye”. If there were a shirt that offered a smaller logo on the upper right I would think that would be sufficient.

6. DeeJayQueue says:

We’ve got a sketch on a napkin! See Ma? We ARE doing our homework, now leave us alone and stop turning the stereo down! Gosh!

7. bambino says:

In my opinion, ugly. But that’s just my opinion. Why not have consumerist.com prominently displayed? Otherwise it’s just going to look like another Urban Outfitters rag. Constructively, the figure is too large for the shirt. I know it’s just a mock-up, but a prototype should try to come as close to the actual design as possible.

8. robbie says:

While maintaining the prototype’s basic design, I would do the following:

Front:
    - logo: smaller, maybe even 50% of current size. centered is good, though.
    - logo: remove the red eye (and possibly the red lines)
    - put “mystery shopper” at the bottom of the logo, just above the bottom so it still overlaps the legs. have the phrase be only on one line and just a bit wider than the legs. the font is fine.

Back:
    - “consumerist.com” in small print at the top but not flush with the neck line–moved down just a tad.

9. Ben Popken says:

Thanks for the idea, but just so you know, there will be no back. Front only.

10. AtomikB says:

I like the design! Make it, and I’ll buy it. Or consume it, I should say.

11. Ishmael says:

Isn’t there enough brown clothing in the stores this fall? Do we have to add to it?

I, too, agree with the too-large logo crowd. Shrink it a bit, MAKE IT NOT BROWN, and you’ve got a winner!

12. RandomHookup says:

Ben:

With winter coming, don’t you think your shirts should have backs? Unless you are going to make it a formal t-shirt, then backless is okay.

13. Plasmafire says:

Hmm the eye on the suit might look better with a pyramid on it, like on the dollar bills in your wallet. (But then again probably not)

14. SpamFighterLoy says:

It’s a waste if it don’t have consumerist.com on it.

For “I’m thinking of writing a strongly worded letter,” I think it should have a pen/quill dripping blood :)