Tresemme Color Thrive Conditioner And The Really Bad Hair Day

I have a beautiful head of hair. Every morning, I wake up and, Marcia Brady like, comb out the gossamer locks. “One! Two! Three!” I chant, up until a million or I pass out. Then, I break open some eggs, carefully separate the yolk and then apply the white to each glistening strand with a fine paint brush. It’s a pain, but it’s worth it.

The point? At least one editor at the Consumerist knows how important a girl’s hair can be… in my case, to a man. So when Charra D. wrote us in a bright, purple font to tell us about how Tresemme Color Thrive Conditioner congealed her hair into one disgusting, greasy, almost pubic dreadlock, I began shrieking in hysterical sympathy.

Charra’s bad hair day, after the jump.

I have very long hair which I had been coloring for many years. As I grew older, I found that the blonde color did not hold very well so I decided to just let it grow out and did not cut off the blonde part. For three years I have been shampooing my own hair and not putting anything on my hair other than shampoo & water – no blow drying, no color, no hairspray – no conditioner. Since it has gotten longer, it is a little tangled after shampooing and does take a while to comb straight.

I decided to use a little conditioner and bought some TREsemme Color Thrive Conditioner. The bottle is marked for blonde color treated hair. When I finished shampooing & conditioning my hair a week ago last Friday, and removed the towel it was if someone had parted my hair down the middle from front to back, grabbed my hair from both sides, and joined both ends of the bottom of my hair and twisted it together in the back. It somewhat resembles a dread lock – is matted together, solid as a rock. I am going to have to have it cut.

I did call Alberto/Culver last Tuesday since I thought they should know so it would not happen to someone else. They do want me to send them the remaining Conditioner to “test” it. And, offered to refund my money “if I return the sales receipt”. I would have thought they would do more than that and would want to see it. I would like to have it tested myself, but cannot find a lab that does that kind of thing. Right now, I would fit just fine in a haunted house for Halloween.

Comments

1. Odwalla says:

She used conditioner for color-treated hair on, at least some, non colored hair. If she was letting the blonde, color treated, part grow out because she was giving up coloring why did she spend the extra money on conditioner that is made for dyed hair?

2. kerry says:

She probably didn’t want to damage the color treated portion. Also, bleached hair can turn some kind of funky colors with some products. She probably just didn’t want to risk turning the blonde stuff brassy or green.
    All that said, no conditioner should matte your hair like this, but since she’d never used conditioner on her hair before it might have been wise to do a strand test. Also, I had problems with my hair matting slightly with certain conditioners (nothing like this, however) and it was because my hair was crazy damaged. I started getting it cut regularly and professionally colored and it doesn’t happen anymore. I suggest she gets her hair cut, maybe do a professional conditioning treatment, and get regular trims to cut off the damaged stuff.

3. ckilgore says:

Dear god, girl. Did you rinse it out? Did you accidentally use a color refresher (which is sort of like a mild dye)? I am a conditioner freak (tried every one under the sun nearly) and I can tell you the worst any conditioner should do to your head is make it a little weighed down. It certainly wouldn’t make it more tangled. I am thinking there is some possible product misuse here.

4. Nancy Sin says:

Well, not only that but she hadn’t even been using conditioner up until that point. Her ends were probably a crunchy mess by then. If her hair was “pretty long” with blonded out ends, a cheap conditioner with too much alcohol could have been the last straw (pun intended). And the fact that a conditioner twisted and parted her hair kind of defies the laws of physics.

5. Anonymously says:

This story would be at least 10 times better with pictures. I’d love to see the Franken-Do.

6. Charmander says:

Before she takes the drastic next step of getting a hair cut, she might want to jump in the shower again and shampoo it out. Something sounds a little fishy here.

7. cooper says:

I’m confused and I agree that pictures are in order! Her hair was “dreadlocked” but still wet? I really am having trouble picturing this, especially from a conditioning product. Even if her hair was extremely damaged, it seems that the conditioner would at least detangle it. Perhaps she pissed off the wrong roommate/spouse/salon and they slipped some beeswax into the bottle. Either way, sounds like the hair could use a trim anyway.

8. amazon says:

I hate to be a cynic, but this has some definite shennanigans potential. Because let me tell you, my hair is about 30″ long and nothing even resembling this has ever happened to me.

She didn’t mention actually rinsing out the conditioner, I can see how maybe this could lead to a solid mass of hair-like thing.

Maybe the product was tampered with? (Some evil twat somewhere between production and use that put in a bunch of glue or something?)

Anyway, this did totally freak me out.

9. ‘It’s always ben, ben, ben.’

[I’m assuming it’s Ben, and not John wjo wrote this].

10. ‘who’ I meant

11. kerry says:

I’m 99% sure that del_ruby hit the nail on the head. I bet there’s an alcohol in the conditioner that caused her already damaged locks to stick together in a matted mess. It would also explain why I had some matting issues with certain conditioners when my hair was damaged. If you’re having trouble imagining how hair could be so matted when dry, pluck a hair from your head and run your fingers across it backwards, from end to root. You’ll feel that it tugs a bit as you go. That’s the scales of the hair being pulled backwards and sticking to your skin. Now imagine two strands of hair where the scales are sticking out, not lying flat, because they’ve been damaged and some alcohol in the conditioner is screwing with the protein conformation. They’re going to stick together as the scales bump up against each other. Voila! Matted mess. My guess is she should have tried for an alcohol-free deep conditioning treatment, rather than a traditional conditioner.

12. arrahc says:

I guess I didn’t explain clearly enough. My hair is not damaged. I have extremely healthy hair. I can refer you to 2 former hairdressers who will verify this. My hair was well rinsed (until it was squeaky) after the shampoo & after the conditioner. I tried a detangler. A former hairdresser recommended mayonnaise. A friend tried to patiently untangle it. It is a solid, rockhard mass about the size of a hunk of Kielbasa sausage 6 inches long across the back of my head. I cannot get one finger thru it. If that had happened nearer the top of my head I would have had to have my head shaved. Yes, you do have to see it to believe it. I do have pictures but, am not experienced enough on the computer to get them on the Internet. They are digital pictures and I have them on a CD.I am going to ask someone to do it for me.

13. darthamanda says:

I use Tresemme Color Thrive…my hair hasn’t been a natural shade of any color since I was 12 years old (I’m now 23). I’m thinking someone tampered with the product at the store or before it got to the store. That’s just wacky.