Target Has No Time For Owwies

Every time we bad mouth Target (like when one of their managers verbally harassed an elderly handicapped woman), the entire comment section of this site suddenly goes frickin’ Devil’s Advocate. It’s testament to how much people love Target that our healthy constabulary of “Fuck Corporate America” commenters find their loins turned to jelly every time the company’s name is mentioned.

Still, it’s a company, and sometimes, companies just ask inexplicably weird. Ask Jennifer, who got just a nasty paper cut in Target. She started spurting gore all over the place. Yet when she asked some concerned Target employees, idling helpfully next to the Band-Aid section, if she could have a Band-Aid, they looked puzzled. “Band… Aid?” they asked, pronouncing each syllable with confusion, like cavemen trying to comprehend the Einstein-Rosenberg principle. And then they directed her to go bleed all over the customer service desk.

I feel like a bit of a traitor coming out with this, because I buy most of my household sundries from Target, but what they did to me Friday was so obnoxious…

I went to the Fremont, Ca, “Hub” store Friday afternoon to pick up some treats for Halloween goodie bags. I had no cart, because I had come in the back door of the store, which doesn’t have any free carts (they use one of those radio-cart systems that helpfully locks the wheels to keep you from taking a cart more than four feet from the door, so the carts are all hobbled on that side). No matter, I only need some bat shaped erasers.

After I grabbed those, I passed the food section and picked up a couple twelve packs of soda. While I was heading back to the back register carrying these, one of the boxes shifted, and the edge of the cardboard sliced into my finger, and I end up bleeding all over the boxes- but no problem, because here are two associates walking my way. I wave them over, show them my bloody finger, and ask if they have any bandaids (ironically, we’re right in front of the aisle with the first aid supplies.) They look at each other, look at me with my bleeding finger and my soda, and helpfully suggest I return to the front of the store and ask customer service for a bandaid- and when she catches sight of my expression, she suddenly notices I’m carrying these boxes- and so she offers to go and get me a cart. Seriously. Then they walk away without a second look, and I realize it’s a shorter trip to the first aid kit in my car than it is to customer service. So I guess the moral of the story is- bring your own first aid for retail hazards…

Comments

1. LSK says:

I think the only reason people defend Target is because it’s the least tainted by evil. That said, it still has its fair share of evil.
    Also, you doubled up on the pre-jump paragraph.

2. DAK says:

Had a similar experience at an allegedly fancy hotel once. They’re worried that as soon as they give you a band aid, or anything else, they’re accepting some sort of liability.

3. As Jennifer sums up, “I guess the moral of the story is to bring your own first aid for retail hazards.” Talk about how awesome Target is, and read Jennifer’s story, after the jump.

Whoa…Deja vu man…

I feel for you Jennifer, but I think the moral of the story here is also to take one’s own life into one’s own hands. You were right at the first aid section, grab one of those boxes of bandaids and tear it open!

4. aka Cat says:

She wasn’t expecting an associate to open a box of band-aids on the shelf, was she? That’s not the sort of thing a peon would have the authority to do.

However, they should have called a manager over, or walked her over to the customer service desk and made sure they could help her there.

5. Pelagius says:

Maybe she was dealing with that retarded kid from the other Target story?

6. Triteon says:

Why not walk over to the boxes of bandages, take one out and then offer to buy the box? Then explain to the cashier and the CS desk what happened.
    This is obnoxious behavior on Target’s part. But LSK is right– they are the least tainted mass retailer out there.

7. Is anyone really surprised that a couple of minimum-wage paid teenage retail-giant employees reacted this way to a paper cut?

This is whining. This is not a Target Issue. This is 2 members of the dissaffected youth doing what teenagers do. Not thinking and not caring.

Beside,s it’s a paper cut. I’m sure if it were an actual injury they would have done something.

8. LRM216 says:

Yes, she was dealing with stupid kids. My daughter cut her finger on one of the toy shelves, I asked a salesperson to get me some help, she got a manager who came with a first aid kit and patched little Jennie’s finger right up. I had no problems whatsoever, in fact they were very concerned and acted immediately. I think she should have by-passed Heckle and Jeckle and looked for a real adult that might be of some help.

9. segfault, registered cat offender says:

This story is -1, Flame-bait, posted for the sole purpose of raising the ire of the Target-defenders.

“Target wouldn’t take back the socks I bought there three years ago!” –> Let’s post it on Consumerist to show that Target’s just as evil as Wal-Mart!

10. jthree says:

If these were some pimply faces teens working at Wal-Mart, every one would assume it was a Wal-Mart conspiracy and these kids were in on it. Since it’s Target we make the completely rational argument that this is just about disaffected youth doing what teenagers do, not thinking and not caring. Wal-Mart brings out the irrational side of a lot of otherwise normal people.

11. feralparakeet says:

These sorts of occurrences are unfortunately common… I’ve had my share of minor cuts or the discovery that my shoes have worn yet another nasty blister onto my feet. For that reason, I always keep a couple of band-aids in my purse. I also keep some of those individually packaged wet-wipes that you get from Buffalo Wild Wings and a few other places, which help if I’m bleeding.

I worked retail during the summers between college… sadly, most retail workers are more interested in how they can sneak off the floor to have sex or take a nap in the stockrooms than with helping customers.

12. Maybe the girl was anemic and wasn’t able to form a blood clot. Anyhow, she was bleeding and someone should have at least got her a paper towel or something so she didn’t bleed all over the place. I used to work at a Target so I know that by red telephones in each department there is also paper towels and usually misc cleaning supplies.

I would have bled all over the floor. Then someone would have done soemthing.

13. DeeJayQueue says:

The poles in target (and most all big-box retailers) are required to have first-aid boxes on them, one for every so many square feet of space. Usually they’re in the same spot that the phone to call the operator, the spill station and the trash can are. It’s a little kiosk at then end of the aisle in almost every department. They couldn’t have been far from one of those, but they probably didn’t know.

The customer’s injuries must not have been that bad if she had time and energy to walk off in a huff after they said “no sorry you can’t steal a box of bandaids from us, and we’re not going to write one off either, we have some somewhere for this kind of thing but we’re idiots and don’t know where.”

If you cut your hand at home, do you expect everyone around you to stop what they’re doing and rush to get you a band-aid or do you say “Damn, that hurt. Let me go get a band-aid.”
    I think she needs to put her big-girl pants on and not complain when everyone doesn’t bow to her whim.

14. Lyn Never says:

I hate to be one of the suckups and all, but I doubt this is Target Coporate Policy. If the employees had been idiots and then she’d gone to management and they were all “yeah, go bleed to death outside” I might be willing to believe that Targed Did This. Obviously they’ve got some training issues, and that is a corporate problem (and an epidemic in the retail industry), but it’s not like someone came over from the corporate office to squeeze a lemon on her cut.

15. I’ve almost always been sent to the customer service desk when I’ve been walking wounded in a store. That’s usually where they have the First Aid supplies. (And yes, I do suffer retail injuries on an alarmingly regular basis!)

16. Marcus_T says:

When I was 12-13 years old and shopping in a Bi-Lo grocery with my mom; she asked if I would run out to the car and grab something for her. So what do I manage to do? Shut my index finger in the car door of course.

My finger is THROBBING, but I continue back into the store. The pain becomes too much so I take a seat in one of the few chairs by their pharmacy setup. A concerned pharmacist seeing me doubled over in pain, comes out and asks what’s wrong.

Other than that I can’t even remember if she did anything extra, but I just remember her being geniunely concerned about me.

17. billhelm says:

y’all really need to start using a “threshold of pain” to judge these stories. Because here’s another weak one.

18. aka Cat says:

I just asked a coworker who moonlights at Target what they’re supposed to do. One of the associates should have called a manager.

The manager would take care of patching up the customer, asking if she wants 911 called (that’s required), filling out a bazillion forms for the corporation, and roping off everything the customer bled on.

She also said she could make a real good guess as to who these two associates are — except that there’s probably a few of them at every store.

19. d0x says:

Yes because im sure all Target employees walk around with Band-Aids…

1st aid kit located at Guest Service, would you like me to carry you there?

Give me a ****ing break its a paper cut.

20. Jesse McBesse says:

Thank you, dox; my thoughts exactly.

21. Frank Grimes says:

A few months back the NYT was asking the creators of WalMartwatch.com why don’t they every go after Target, because, you know they have essentially the same business plan (Par timers, crappy benefits, etc). Simply, Wal-Mart is just so much bigger and is everywhere (also Target is moderately trendy so no need to piss off your base).

22. non-meat-stick says:

she has learned that the elasticity and durability of her skin is not up to par with carrying what she had and next time will need a cart. It’s a tough lesson to learn and except

23. bxurbanlegend says:

Even though the associates could’ve been more helpful, I think Jennifer could’ve put more thought into how to handle her situation as she did when she wrote this complaint. With as much shopping she does at Target, she should have been smart enough to take herself to the first aid aisle (which is usually near the pharmacy) and get herself a band aid. It’s not like hell is going break loose if you crack open a box. I also think she is over stating how things went down and is being too dramatic. Working in a office for the better part of my adult life, I’ve had my share of terrible paper cuts and they never bleed until pressure is applied. Nor have I consider myself to be in distress because of one.

24. I would have just opened a box of bandages, used one, and bought the box.

25. airren says:

Yeah, I dunno. If this happened to me I’d probably put everything down on the floor and explain I needed to go to the bathroom and get a paper towel. Big deal.

26. infinitysnake says:

A couple of points:

While this was a ‘paper cut,’ it wasn’t the tiny stinging kind, it was the wide open bleeding kind, from a sharp piece of cardboard. I have a bloody Dr Pepper box to prove it.

And yes, I do expect a store to have a first aid available for customers who injure themselves on their products.

27. KesCaesar says:

OK, here’s a trick I learned in psych class – don’t ask for help. *Tell* people you need help. In that situation, I would signal the two employees and say
    “I need a band-aid, please. Some of your products have cut me.”
    If they tried to send me away, I would say,
    “I’m sorry, I’d prefer you to go- I can’t wait in a line at customer service while I bleed. I’ll wait here.” or “Can your MANAGER get me a band-aid, please?”
    There’s no way they can turn you down.

28. gingerlysaid says:

I realize I’m several year too late for this topic, but as an employee of the Target in question, I have to side with that Target. Not because I feel corporate loyalty, frankly they can suck it, but because I know the pressures and the burdens that go along with being a sales floor team member. They’re berated with questions constantly, have totally unachievable goals to reach put onto them by their managers and they do strive to get their jobs done and done well and help guests at the same time. I feel for Jennifer certainly, getting a paper cut can hurt very badly, especially one that bleeds. Half the time they hurt worse than much deeper cuts; go figure. But the salesfloor team member told her to go to guest service, and that was the correct thing to do. Believe me when I say that if it were a much more serious injury help would have been brought to her and an incident report would have been filed. I know the planno of that store, the first aid section was very close to where guest service is. I happily give guests bandaids whenever they ask as someone who works in guest service, the last time being just yesterday. We live in an area that’s very culturally diverse, and employ people whose first language might not be English, so I don’t feel that the “band….aid…” remark was rude or stupid. They did their job in referring her to the right location to get service. Anyway, just had to vent. Apologies to Jennifer, but it was a paper cut, not a concussion.