How Much To Tip All Those Grubby Bellhops

There is a large number of petulant, pouting employees ready to freeze you with an icy shoulder if you don’t pony up a tip. It can be hard trying to figure out just whom social etiquette dictates you tip and whom can safely be ignored.

Luckily, Get Rich Slowly has put together an excellent resource to figure out just how much to tip everyone: from waiters to bellhops to maitre d’s to manicurists. Apparently, you really should be opening your wallet every time you do pretty much anything.

My general rule of thumb is to tip generously to people likely to make most of their living off of tips: waiters, delivery people, cabbies. Still, I’m a stinking Euro… we don’t tip anyone.

Basic Tips on Tipping: How Much and To Whom? [Get Rich Slowly]

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

I love how Brownlee cops to being a Euro when it saves him money.

2. Falconfire says:

should more be “your a euro, they include gratuity on everything” cause most countries over there require it. So does Canada.

US is one of the few countries who dont require you to tip.

3. Does anyone tip the cable guy? I mean, if they actually come at the time they’re supposed to, on the day they’re supposed to and don’t fall asleep on your bed, do you owe them a tip?

I used to bribe the cable guy with beer to get free cable, but now with this digital crap, they can’t get you those free channels anymore…

4. OnoSideboard says:

I once tipped my movers with, um, special cigarettes, after they had packed everything but before they had delivered it. BAD IDEA. It took an hour to move out of my old place and FOUR HOURS to move into the new place.

My question: how much to tip the person who details my car (cost = about $90)? What about when I just get it washed, but someone wipes down the interior and the wheels by hand? I know you are supposed to tip those guys because they are always right there with your car when you leave. On a regular wash (cost = about $20) I usually tip $3, but I have no idea about the detailer. Last time I completely forgot to tip the girl and now I’m afraid to go back there.

5. segfault, registered cat offender says:

We have a lot of Chinese buffets where the waiters only provide you with your drink. I usually tip less there on the grounds that they’re not taking my meal order or bringing me my meal. Is this appropriate?

6. Funklord says:

For Room Service, they suggest a $5 minimum. Every hotel I’ve stayed in already adds an 18% gratuity to your Room Service bill, not to mention several dollars “delivery fee”. Is this $5 meant to be in addition to that?

7. Anonymously says:

Just go back to the detailer. Own up to forgetting to tip, and if you see the girl give her the tip. Most professional detailers wouldn’t expect a tip but would definitely appreciate it. If they do an exceptionally nice job or if your car was especially dirty, consider tipping 15% or more.

8. adamondi says:

I only tip generously when there is some sort of service provided that deserves a tip. Good waiters, a bellhop that went above and beyond his duty to do something for me, etc. If I go into a restaurant to get some take-out, then I don’t give the guy at the counter a tip when I pick it up. I don’t tip cable repairmen or the guys at the car wash unless they do something extraordinary that deserves some extra appreciation. There are far too many people in the world any more that don’t seem to realize that a tip is called a “gratuity” because it is not required. It is a gift on the part of the giver and is completely at the giver’s discretion.

9. sonic0boom says:

Funklord, I don’t ever tip for room service due to the reasons that you pointed out. It’s the same as going to a restaurant with a larger party, and the 18% gratuity is included. Unless they went above and beyond the call of duty, leave it at the built-in tip. Anyway, that “delivery fee” pisses me off since I’m already giving the hotel the privilage of not going somewhere else for (typically) better and cheaper food.