Video Of Consumerist On 20/20

Digg this post.

UPDATE: Here’s the show transcript.

UPDATE: Video fixed and running

20/20’s John Stossel interviews Consumerist editor Ben Popken. Subject is consumers recording their customer service experiences with audio and video and sharing them on the internet. They include several examples in the piece, so it’s a bit of a fun one.

Comments

1. OnoSideboard says:

Hey Ben, what was written on your tee-shirt?

2. homerjay says:

Yeah that shirt was kinda distracting. Still, great piece even though John Stossel is a pompous tool.

3. Ben Popken says:

The shirt says “Wrong World” three times.

4. DeeJayQueue says:

guess it got yanked. :(

5. RumorsDaily says:

Google sucks! Come on, this is a story ABOUT videos on youtube… it shouldn’t be taken down.

6. RumorsDaily says:

Plus I want to see it.

7. OnoSideboard says:

“This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video.”

WTF does that even mean?

Well, I’m glad I got to see it before it was yanked by The Man. I agree with homerjay–that Stossel guy puts a really irritating inflection in everything his says. But it was a really fun segment and I think the use of the internet to air consumer complaints is the greatest pro-consumer achievement since the advent of the class action law suit.

Keep fighting the good fight, dudes.

8. Vinny says:

I like Stossel because he just doesn’t put up with bullshit answers. I’ve seen people give him lame answers to questions on numerous occasions and he just smashes them.

I love that.

9. North of 49 says:

Thank you for putting up the video. I missed it when it was on TV.

Gotta love corps that try to weasle out of customer service…

10. Popken looks bronzed. What’s up with that? Stossel has such a condescending tone that you wonder why he isn’t doing children’s television.

11. DeeJayQueue says:

20/20 IS children’s television.

12. Ben Popken says:

Something_amazing, I had just come back from a sea-side vacation, transforming me into a golden Adonis.

13. speexoft says:

It was VICTORIOUS and FABULOUS. And what OnoSideboard said (above), well, ditto for me! This is among THE highest & best uses of the internet…a Necessity whose time has come (no turning back).

Wish I’d recorded my 22+ hours of Customer “Care” time on the phone with Dell Computers as the saga carried on & on. AND on. And actually, it continues today (since summer of ’05). Hard to believe? Probably not for so many other of Dell’s “Valued” Customers.

This grassroots consumerist movement & website is wonderfully reminiscent of Michael Moore’s work on “The Awful Truth” (& of course, his films). To Consumerist’s founder: GREAT WORK for which Thank You sounds too small.

14. speexoft says:

Now THAT was some affirmative action—Why fire the Comcast tech for falling asleep on a customer’s sofa? He’s not the problem—only a Symptom of the problem which he didn’t cause (& is also a victim of). Same for the “retention specialist” at AOL, horrific as his ‘tude was… just doing what AOL trained him or (obviously) had been paying him to do.

15. Vinny says:

Adonis yes. Dancer? No.

Consumer Party? Dude… We need to talk… LOL

16. homerjay says:

yeah, that was kinda creepy. I think you should consider scripting your interviews from now on. :)

We kid because we love!

17. jacques says:

The guys outside of the Consumerist spots that spoke really were portrayed as whiny jerks. “BooHoo, my water dispenser’s slow, I should compain to the entire internets”

18. Triteon says:

Great line– “funny becomes linked to.” Internet in a nutshell!

19. Triteon FTW!