Crunch Gym Doesn’t Know What Cancel The Account Means

If you give money to Crunch Gym, you just may well never get it back from between those vice-like, beefy, Mr. Universe fingers. Or, as Gaurav G. discovered, even if you don’t give them money.

Gaurav joined his local Crunch Gym in October, 2005, looking for a local gym with a pool. His idea? Expand muscle mass by dumping thousands of dollars of muscle protein powder into the swimming pool, then doing forty laps a day with his mouth open.

His plans for beefy hunkdom were soon waylaid when he took a position in New York. He canceled with Crunch Gym. They still billed him. He canceled with them again. They still billed him, then told him he’d never canceled when he called.

The only way to take down Hercules is to kick him in the crotch. G.G’s email, after the jump.

Love the website, and read it diligently thinking damn, I’ve never had a customer service issue as bad as that dude. Well, now the day has come. Try this one on.

I was a member at Crunch Gym in Chicago (normally stay away from things like that, but they were the closest gym with a pool) from October to December of 2005. I went abroad for a month so I put my membership on hold and then came back and found out I was moving to New York for work, so I cancelled my membership when I got back in mid-January. Crunch wasn’t on my next credit card statement so I thought all was well. Not paying too much attention, I moved and everything seemed fine.

At the end of July, I noticed that I was being billed $79 a month for Crunch membership again. So I called the Chicago Crunch and talked to the manager there and he said that they had been having billing issues because they switched systems and a bunch of old accounts were reactivated. He looked up my account, check things and said, that my account was indeed part of that issue and that he would put my name on a list and have the amount refunded to my credit card. Again, thinking all was well, I let it go.

The credit wasn’t on my statement for August and in fact there was still a $79 charge! I thought maybe it takes them a while. It wasn’t on my statement for September either and there was a charge again!!! So I called them up in Chicago, and this time the manager tells me that my account is still active, and that they have no record of my membership ever being canceled?!?! I’m exceptionally pissed off this time, and they gave me the number for their corporate finance people. I called them up, and all they can tell me is that they have no record of a cancellation, and that they can’t do anything about it, and that I need to talk to the Chicago Crunch. This time I call and I get Lisa, who I have to say was exceptionally helpful. She is the first person to believe me. She gets back to me and says that they have no record of a cancellation either, but that they were working on seeing how to resolve this. She gives me the customer service line’s number to call. I call them, and the lady on the line tells me that my account is still active?!?!?!? After two months of issues, you’d think someone would cancel the damn account. She tells me that they can cancel the account now “as a courtesy”!?!?!?! I get really upset and ask for her supervisor, and she tells me that he isn’t available, but I can leave a number and he’ll get back to me. So I do. That was 2 days ago. I called again today to follow up with them, and the customer service rep says that it does indicate that the supervisor was notified, and that they “usually get back to customers within 48 hours” but that the supervisor isn’t currently available. Meanwhile, I’m out 600 bucks!!

Crunch sucks. Tell your readers that if they do have a membership there, and cancel, hold on to your papers because it may come back to bite you in the ass 9 months later.

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I’m sorry, what was this story about? That picture was a little…. ummm…..
    yeah….

2. mfergel says:

I had joined Gold’s Gym at one point and signed up partially on the fact that I was told if I moved, I could use my membership at a club at that location. Year later, getting ready to move and suddenly the story changed….I could only drop into the club once or twice. It was essentially a visitors pass if I were to go on vacation, etc. I could not transfer my membership. I had to go through a long process to cancel that included going to a bank and getting a notorized statement indicating I was moving, what my new address was, etc.

3. bambino says:

Why does it seem like gyms (gold’s esp.) always pull this garbage?

4. Pssssst... says:

I had the same problem with 24 Hour Fitness. 30 day cancellation policy that has to be 10 days before your billing cycle, so essentialy a 40 cancellation policy. I’m not sure about the rest of you but I don’t know anyone who makes a point of knowing 40 days before they need to cancel.

To add fuel to the fire the supervisor was not available (suprise) and they had no record of the cancellation (shocker). It seems to me that all of these facilities are rip off artists.

5. Paul D says:

Never ever ever ever ever never never ever ever ever never ever ever join a gym.

Ever.

6. For what it’s worth, I never had a problem with Colorado Athletic Club.

7. Magister says:

Umm, why didn’t you just start denying the charges on your credit card at the beginning? Or the 2nd time, or the 3rd time?

You should have been fighting those charges from the credit card side.

8. SpamFighterLoy says:

I had the same problem with … the local YMCA. Both of them.

9. anjamu says:

An old roommate of mine entered a Win A Free Membership contest with Crunch, won a free membership and surprise! started getting charged when her free membership was up. I think they had to get lawyers involved, it was that bad.

10. aldoogie says:

I hate cingular too. Look, this is not a reckless rant people…i have always said that the folks at cingular treated me like i was joining a gym! basically, all your comments just prove that point. For what it’s worth…my brother is taking 24 hour fitness to small claims court, be sure to know that i will post copies of the results of the case…hehehe

11. UrielAegyptus says:

Did I understand correctly that G.G. closed the story by saying “hold on to your papers because it may come back to bite you in the ass 9 months later”? Is he saying he HAD paperwork which showed he canceled but then he lost it? And I have to concur with the person above who asked him why he didn’t simply call his credit card company and reverse the charges. Sounds like someone who doesn’t know how to handle his finances, quite honestly.

12. Sean Su says:

I’m undergoing the same problems, I misplaced the papers upon moving and things are in boxes. Crunch claimed they don’t have a record of cancellation which is beyond amazing, and that there must be a 30 day notice before cancellation (in other-words they yank you an additional $99).

I didn’t notice Crunch on my bill until this month since I have autopay and I’m upset to find out that I’ve paid for the last 3 months for nothing. It was weird because in October I didn’t get a bill from them so I too thought all was fine. They’re giving me the same spiel as the original poster.

I’m going to dispute those charges with my credit card soon if the rep doesn’t get back from the supervisor in 3 days.

13. frank64 says:

Same thing with Work out World.

14. H3ion says:

Why not either cancel in writing, or cancel by phone and confirm in writing. At least that way you’ll have something to show (a) your credit card company or (b) the judge in small claims court.

15. deniseb says:

Something similar happened to me at 24 Hour Fitness. I canceled in writing a month ahead & even got a return receipt, but when I went to return my key they had no record of it AND they claimed the only way to quit was to come in in person and fill out a form (this was not in the contract) 30 days in advance. The guy – assistant manager – claimed even if you moved 5000 miles away you still had to do this. When I got angry, he asked me if I was on the rag. He refused to accept my key, so I threw it on the floor.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company, and for 5 more months the gym kept billing me. Then I got a nasty letter saying basically “OK, we’ll let you get away with this”. No apology, no admission of doing anything wrong.

16. Anonymous says:

I know for a fact you get a carbon copy of the cancellation papers, if you didn’t save it because you didn’t think it was important. That’s your loss. I will always save my receipts, papers or documents that I know will be important part of proof later on. Maybe this is your first time of getting fucked over, gym or not, it happens all the time.