WhiteFence: Slash All Your Bills, Compare and Contrast

UPDATE: WhiteFence is not an unbiased recommendation site. They form “partnerships” with certain providers, limiting consumer choice. Read more in this update.

Over at our lovely, bubbly sister site Lifehacker (Consumerist is really the Lifehacker for complainers), Adam Pash pointed out the excellent WhiteFence service, specifically for comparing and contrasting cable service providers. Just tick in all the options and channels you’re looking for and click compare to see who’s the best in your area. Easy peasey.

But actually, WhiteFence offers a host of other comparison services that are just as useful. For example, you can compare gas and electricity providers. Or telecoms. Or Internet providers. They even do daily newspapers, VoIP phone and renter’s insurance.

Consider WhiteFence officially added to the Consumerist Kit.

Whitefence [Official Site]

Comments

1. LafinJack says:
  2. mckaym says:

Whitefence seems to be down atm. I get a “The requested URL / was not found on this server.”

3. mckaym says:

It seems to have hit the front page on digg, hence the downtime. The comments on digg aren’t overly positive: http://digg.com/tech_deals/Compare_cable_and_satellite_pro

4. Omni Consumer Products says:

Not totally convinced by this site… seems like the utility companies might be paying for the most prominent positions on the search results. (“The service you need from the companies you trust” reeks of ad copy.) This reminds me of those “non-biased” sites you can use to compare credit card offers or car insurance rates, but are really an act of collusion by an oligarchy big players (Orbitz, anyone?). I typed in my address, and I didn’t even receive the option of cable TV, it only offered me DishTV and DirecTV.

5. mkoch7811 says:

Not impressed, since they don’t include all carriers. They listed Time-Warner Cable, Dish Network, and DirecTV, and completely missed Verizon FiOS, which is a major player here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If they can’t accurately show me my local carriers, how can I trust them to show me what’s available in an area I’m not familiar with?

6. robyns says:

Same here, only got info on DishTV & DirecTV.

7. Trai_Dep says:

I hereby nominate “Consumerist Kit” for having its own link on top of the main page. Great resource for newbies and veterans alike.

8. wenhaver says:

Funny, the site is 404’ing on me now. Perhaps Consumerist users caused it to crash and burn?

9. solmssen says: