Register Complaints With The Better Business Bureau

Another great way to establish a public record of a company’s customer service negligence is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

While not able to resolving complaints, the BBB does a good job of documenting and publishing them. When warranted, the organization passes on complaints to the proper authorities.

These publicly available records can warn other customers, provide a basis for lawsuits, or aid local investigative reporter make a point about unscrupulous local businesses that no one seems to be able to do anything about.

Find a Better Business Bureau Near You

Comments

1. North of 49 says:

What’s a Bureua?

2. timmus says:

Just as a counterpoint to the main story:

“The BBB is … criticized because their revenue comes from members, raising questions about its objectivity on handling disputes and complaints. Their method of dispute resolution is also dubious, as a simple acknowledgement of a complaint is enough to consider the matter resolved. Also of note, not all industries or companies are handled by the BBB. Some companies and professions the BBB won’t take complaints against include: real estate firms, public utilities, and physicians.”

My own experience with the BBB has been ambivalent. The NYC BBB did clue me in on the whole Brooklyn camera racket back in 1993. On the other hand, the OKC BBB did not protect me from a dating service I tried in 1997… they told me “no complaints”. Within two months I had chalked it up as a mistake, and the next year I found out they had been in serious trouble with the state attorney general. Since then I pretty much view the BBB as a local business council, not a consumer protection agency.

3. timmus says:

Oh, forgot…. the above quote was from Wikipedia.

4. i registered a bbb complaint against best buy last year when they tried scamming me on those mcdonalds monopoly game pieces, and refused to respond to my written complaint. i cc’d the bbb complaint letter to best buy, they got the hint and some vp in the customer service department got back to me within a few days.
    the bbb sent me a follow-up letter, which turned out to be unnecessary given best buy’s decision to respond. but the whole point of contacting the bbb was to convince best buy that i wasn’t screwing around, so they did exactly what i needed them to do- provide an incentive.

5. medalian1 says:

I’ve had about a 75% success rate using the BBB. I gotta fire off another one to them ref SunRocket keeping my $$ after canceling and not responding to my letters seeking refund.

6. Alexis2 says:

I had an incident with Ashley Furniture store about a year and a half ago. I tried to resolve the problem with them of course and they weren’t the least bit accomodating. So of course I filed a complaint with BBB. The Ashley Furniture store in question wasn’t a member. My complaint letter was exactly like the example given here and I must say I was VERY disappointed. Despite presenting facts, receipts, timeline, persons I spoke to etc. Basically all the BBB did was acknowledge my complaint. I was expecting them to mediate the situation. They did not. Almost a year after filing my complaint I finally got a call from Ashley’s corporate office apologizing, blah, blah, blah, saying if I would send them a letter saying that I would drop the complaint that they would refund the $200 dollars I still got charged even though I didn’t receive the merchandise. So I told this woman, “When you credit my credit card THEN I will send the letter.” I don’t have to tell you I never heard from them again. Doesn’t matter. At that point I didn’t give a damn about that $200. I did NOT file a frivolous complaint, I stand by it and I hope they CHOKE on that $200!

7. cyberhd says:

I swithched to VONAGE because I saw thier Ad on TV for cheaper phone service. After 2 days that the connection was supposedly swith over to VONAGE I lost my dial tone. I called their customer service right away, and their office is in INDIA. They keep sending my calls to their technical support, but I was put on hold for a long periods of time. I did not have a dial tone for 14 days. I keep calling their Customer Service everyday and the same thing happened, I was put on hold when they connected me to their technical support department. I asked to speak to somebody who is here in the US, or have somebody call me back in my cell phone. But nobody made any contact to me to fix the problem and I was billed at the same time for the service that was not rindered. After 14 days of no dial tone. I gave up and swithched back to my old phone service provider.
    They did not even try to send me a refund. Now I have Verizon Voice wing (VOIP) and it works great!

8. deborah says:

I would like to know is Precision Financial Industry Corp and Core Star in good standing with the BBB?