What’s A Few Fingers To Stave Off Shoplifting?

We’ve all had this happen to us, as we take a pair of industrial shears to a new purchase’s impervious plastic. Occasionally, we wander away with gore spurting from a few newly crafted finger stubs. But more often, we end up just cutting the documentation inside into confetti.

God knows, customer satisfaction comes after concerns about shoplifting. What’s a few fingers compared to saving a gigantic retail hegemony a few lost bucks? But could you package designers please consider incorporating a dotted line on the package, indicating exactly where the instructions are inside so we can cut around them?

Broken: GE remote control packaging [This is Broken]

Comments

1. ChazB says:

The easy way is to just cut around the sealed edge. That or get a good box opener that you can use to cut around the base of the plastic bubble that the product is in. Once you realise this, as I did after cutting through an instruction book, your life will be easier.

2. HawkWolf says:

this doesn’t stop shoplifters. I’ve heard of plenty stories from my partner – who works in retail – of people being ‘left alone’ for just a couple minutes in an aisle and those people manage to open about ten packages of something, hide the items, and leave the store. I doubt it’d take me less than a minute to find out how to open a blister pack without destroying the contents.

3. d0x says:

Some companies are now using perforated blister packs. They are easy to open but still provide security because as you open the package it makes a loud noise so if your stealing from a store anyone within shouting distance can probably hear you.

4. Polymath says:

Ahh, this reminds me when I purchased a Logitech Wireless mouse for my laptop. The plastic it came in was so thick and hard to open it nearly broke a pair of titanium scissors. TITANIUM! I’m all for anti-shoplifting since people will steal about ANYTHING, but that was just crazy. That package was damn near bulletproof.

5. Sheik says:

Once while opening one of these thick plastic packages I only cut into the package an inch or so. Then to avoid cutting the entire contents in half I tried ripping the rest ofn the package open, provided there was now a starting point for a tear. I nearly sliced my finger to the bone.

6. thrillhouse says:

I actually broke a nice pair of Fiskers on this kind of packaging the other day. I’m still sad about that one.

7. Triteon says:

To open these packages, I would recommend the Craftsman Professional 10 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw, with diamond-tipped blade.

8. Sarlac says:

Those packages are a pain, but I would not really call that documentation destroyed. Just buy some tape. Or return it to wally-world.

9. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

I hate these packages, I’ve nearly lost a finger and eye trying to open an mp3 player I bought for my father. I’m thinking of using thermite to open it next time.

10. Angiol says:

I once cut through a data CD. Fortunately it wasn’t necessary, but I still find it odd that I didn’t notice.

11. LeopardSeal says:

Try the amazing OpenX:

(I personally haven’t tried it, but it looks pretty cool)

12. Triteon says:

Open X tagline: Just push and slide to get inside!

13. Glad I’m not the only retard who has done this.

Also, I notice at wal-mart checkout they have these “Scotch Gift Wrap Openers”. $4.97 for something to open presents with! Who are they kidding? oh wait, the american public.

14. A sharp X-acto knife and blade works wonders for me. Especially on CD’s and DVDs.

15. Kat says:

I love my OpenX… it works very well!

16. xboxishuge says:

I bought a USB dongle at Best Buy and stabbed a good size hole in the driver CD with a knife because of that packaging.

Wouldn’t have been so bad if Kensington wasn’t a horrible company that doesn’t put their drivers online – fortunately a similar Toshiba (I think) dongle uses the same software, so I got that, and was saved from my own tremendously stupid mistake.

17. Triteon! You crack me up!

I’ve always used a utility knife to cut open only one side…but I learned the hard way too. This is poor design, but I don’t have a solution.

18. Trai_Dep says:

Am I the only person that’s shocked that anyone actually READS the documentation?!

19. SpamFighterLoy says:

HawkWolf says: “this doesn’t stop shoplifters.”

Just like childproof medicine bottles :) I’ve actually used powertools to open plastic packaging. It increases the ability to damage the item – it’s too easy to cut through with a jig saw.