Cut $20 Off Your Cable Bill

Sometimes the obvious solutions are hardest to see. This gal felt her monthly $132.07 Comcast cable/internet bill was too high. So she called them and said she wanted to cancel because of the price.

A few minutes later, the rep knocked $20 off her month like that.

It should be noted that the gal has a bundled package, giving her better leverage. If you don’t make them as much money, they may not be so willing to budge.

An easy way to cut $20 bucks a month off your Internet/Cable bill” [this is by us]

Comments

1. d0x says:

This is the kind of thing that IMO shouldnt be posted because it will be abused and then the companies that have policies like this will stop doing it.

Im sure this is short term and at some point her bill will go back up. What she should have done was instead of having them lower the bill she should have gotten them to add more packages for the same price.

This wouldnt really have cost the cable co money, and it would add value to her service.

2. exkon says:

My mom does it once in awhile. She’ll call to disconnect her internet service and then offer to continue her service for the introductory price of $24.99

3. timmus says:

In July 2003 DirecTV did this with us… we were cancelling because it was an unnecessary expense and none of us were watching any TV. Our package was $39.95. The representative offered us a $9.95/mo deal, but we declined even that.

4. LTS! says:

Consumers who don’t engage in this type of activity with the companies who provide these types of services are doing themselves a disservice.

It’s not abuse and my cable bill has remained quite low for years now because I will call them and tell them I am ready to cancel simply because their rates are too high. In every case I have been given a reduced rate for a year and gone about my business.

Companies offer all kinds of rates to new customers while giving nothing back to the loyal customers. They have the ability and the directive to do so but only if the customer calls and requests it. You don’t expect that your cable company will lower your rate for you do you?

It’s a negotiation. Naturally they would like to keep your money and will do so as long as what you pay covers their costs.

For the record you should do this with your credit cards as well. You can always first ask for a lower interest rate and if that doesn’t get you far enough tell them you are going to cancel the card. It’s amazing what “retention specialists” can achieve.

Just don’t be unrealistic about your requests.

5. aixwiz says:

I’ve been using Sprint Broadband for the last 5 years and have been paying $49.95 a month. Three months ago I saw that they started taking new users again and were offering new subscribers the service for $39.95 a month. I called and asked them if they’d be willing to reduce my rate. The rep said that they could do that for someone who had been a long-term customer. Great service, excellent up/down speeds, and willing to give me a discount; what’s not to like?

6. Frank Grimes says:

I called to cancel my Sunday NY Times (I know, I know its mostly free online but I like getting it) becuase I have a kid now and no time to read it. But they immediatley offered to cut the price 50% for six months and I have since found the time to read the magazine. A simple phone called saved me $68 so its always worth asking.

7. LafinJack says:

If the companies do cancel the price drop programs, and then the same number of deal seekers actually follow through and cancel, then the companies will still lower their prices to get business back from their competitors. This just takes the cancelation step out.

8. SpamFighterLoy says:

Cable modem service: 42.95.

I have only cable Internet (satellite for TV) and have not paid more than $25/month for years. I get the six-month introductory rate from RoadRunner. When it’s about to expire, I sign up with Earthlink[1].

Same hardware, same service. No changes to hardware, software or setup. My email with them changes, but I never use it, so pfft. Introductory rate: $19.95/month for six months.

When it’s about to expire, I switch back to RoadRunner. They’ve usually called me first … about the time my six-month intro rate is about to expire. They must know something there.

Anyway, the last couple of times, I noticed that RR had an intro rate special running, so I called and told them I was switching to Earthlink unless I got that rate. I got it.

I think I paid $45 for cable Internet for all of three months when I first got it :)

[1] Earthlink Cable service doesn’t own any cable lines; they’re an add-on service sort of like all the telcos when they were running off AT&T’s network. That’s why no hardware change … just billing changes.

9. danger says:

There’s a potential downside to this…

Comcast recently purchased Adelphia. Part of the new “package” of services that Comcast is offering us is a $1.99 charge any time you call them to change your service. If you want to upgrade from the Standard to the Basic package, it’ll cost you. If you want to upgrade, another two bucks.

So before you call, realize that if you say you want to cancel part of your services, you might end up paying for the privilege.