Comments Garrote

The new commenting system let in the hoi polloi. We want smart, on-topic comments displaying wit and/or insight. Therefore, we must begin a ruthless purge of the unworthy. These comments aren’t just removed, we’re banning their makers entirely.

FRANKENSIZE
Comment: Magicube and Triteon are idiots. There is no other explanation for their complete lack of logic. I’m sure Ben is really shaking in his off-brand boots about the prospect of losing tips from the likes of you. There will be no shortage of respectable whistle-blowers. Now fuck off you douchebags, leave the commenting to the real consumer warriors around here who GET IT.
Crime: While we appreciate his fan-boy fervor, we have little use for flamers.

VEINOR
Comment: “Now if only the Democrats could get 1/10th of the cojones he has, we’d RULE THE WORLD! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH…. er, benevolently rule the world, that is.”
Crime: Typing with the right hand… while jerking off the left with his.

FILMGEEK
Comment: “This is kinda old. And yes, it’s really from QVC”
Crime: If the post stars off, “Here’s a classic (i.e., 9 months ago)..” and this is your comment… we kill you.

We can’t always read all the comments, so if you see an egregious violation you want to nominate, feel free to drop a line to tips. We promise not to reveal our sources.

Comments

1. GenXCub says:

My brainless (but on-topic) drivel survives another day! I owe you guys!

2. ADM says:

“We promise not to reveal our sources.”

Unless you happen to be a PR rep…

JUST KIDDING.

3. GenXCub says:

Oh, you’re so getting ganked for that one :)

4. Mike_ says:

I tried to comment in the National City thread a few days ago, but my remarks still aren’t showing up. I thought I contributed some useful information about how credit cards work (from the merchant’s point of view), and how Beth’s overdraft fees could only have been her own fault (because of the misleading transaction time stamps in the screenshot, and the fact that debit cards decline if there’s a negative balance).

So how does this comments thing work, exactly?

5. Ben Popken says:

The short answer is: imperfectly. If anyone experiences similar problems to what Mike_ describes, email us and we’ll see what we can do.

Common strategies include:
    waiting
    retrying
    logging out and back in
    clearing the browser cache

6. Triteon says:

Mike– I see a 7 paragraph, informative post from you on Friday. Is that the one you’re talking about?

7. This purge feels much more righteous than Valleywag’s.

8. GenXCub says:

Mike_ I’ve noticed that some posts the comments appear instantly and in others it takes 30 minutes. So far I’ve never had a comment eaten, just takes awhile to show up no matter how many reloads I do.

9. Mike_ says:

Yeah, that’s the one, Triteon. (Thanks, Ben.)

10. Ass_Cobra says:

The purging, the informing, it all seems so eerily remeniscient of a book I read a while back….The Unquiet Ghost. Of course I have a picture of Ben on my office wall not because the state says I must but because I enjoy looking at it. Ummm…by the way the executioner in that picture looks pretty ho-hum about the whole thing, which is filed under super awesome in my book.

11. homerjay says:

ADM- I think you just earned tenure for that comment. That was awesome.
    I still vote for anyone who regularly points out grammatical and spelling errors in your posts.

12. AcidReign says:

…..I down with planking really abusive flames, and those who can’t use the shift key.

…..On the other hand, I really enjoy the comments on the Gawker sites. It’s always been varying degrees of buggy, but I’ve not seen the spam problems other blogs have. Just leave that “posting comment” tab (or window) open while you’re reading the next post. The window may never finish, but the comment always does post.

…..If you don’t like Popken or Brownlee, just spend your time at other sites. Leave those of us who love them to our snark!

13. snark says:

Yes, leave those people to me.