Fast Foods Sued For Cancer Chicken

Forget your limp-wristed attempts to make “healthy choices” at McDonalds. Now, even the grilled chicken will kill ya, or so claim a buncha guys with stethoscopes, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, in a suit filed Thursday.

The group said every sample of grilled chicken products from the seven national chains “tested positive for a dangerous carcinogenic compound called PhIP” during analysis at an independent laboratory.

PhIP is one of a group of carcinogenic compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) that are found in grilled meat. In 2005, the US government officially added HCAs to its list of cancer-causing agents, the doctors’ group said

The Washington-based Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) filed suit in California Thursday “to compel the restaurants to warn unsuspecting consumers”

The power of PCRM compels you! The power of PCRM compels you! Hmm, doesn’t quite have the same ring.

US fast-food chains sued over carcinogenic chicken” [AFP] (Thanks to Jpac!)

Comments

1. MattyMatt says:

“Limp wristed”?!

I expect that kind of thing at Kotaku, but not here.

2. I think he means “limp wristed” like “half assed” rather than “flippin’ homo.”

Like throwing a baseball limp wristed doesn’t do a whole hell of a lot to get the ball far away from you the same way that eating chicken at McDonald’s isn’t a particularly effective way to make healthy eating choices.

3. The content of the article is utterly unsurprising to me, but WHERE THE FSCK DID YOU GET THAT PHOTO???

4. jayKayEss says:

Apparently those cancer-causing chemicals are found in *all* grilled meat, including *fish*, even the stuff you grill at home in your backyard. So, I don’t really see the logic in holding McDonald’s accountable for the chemical makeup of life on this planet.

It seems like nowadays people expect the public to get all of their nutritional education from McDonalds… WTF with that? Why not just outsource the FDA to McDonalds and be done with it?

5. BostonBum says:

Problem is, you’d probably be at a higher risk by grilling chicken at home:

One study has evaluated the content of HCAs in fast food restaurants. After evaluating five kinds of meat products from various fast food restaurant chains, the study concluded that there were low levels of HCAs found in fast food meat products due to factors such as cooking temperature and time. The study suggested that greater exposure to HCAs stems from home cooking and cooking in non-fast-food restaurants where food may be cooked to order and where a larger amount of meat is consumed.

Taken from The National Cancer Institute — but what do they know?

I hate frivolous lawsuits. I guess we should all just go vegan and eat spinach all day…I mean…

6. magic8ball says:

So you know who the PCRM is, right? They’re not so much a bunch of physicians interested in nutrition in general as they are a bunch of physicians advocating for a vegan lifestyle. They also may or may not be a front for PETA. Not that there’s anything wrong with that; my point is that they may be less objective than their name implies.

7. timmus says:

It’s hard to evaluate this article without knowing whether those compounds are more or less present in food from other restaurants or at home. Obviously McDonalds is the big target because they’ve got the big bucks, butwhat if McDonald’s levels of PhIP are lower than everyone else? Just sayin.

8. DeeJayQueue says:

I bet the stuff they found on the “grilled food” was the burnt bits where the meat actually touches the grill surface. Those are the best bits! Next they’ll be telling us we can’t cook out on our own grills anymore because fire causes cancer.

9. ajn007 says:

So, when exactly does a lawsuit become “frivolous”? When consumers sue corporations, or when corporations sue corporations or when governments sue corporations or when someone just doesn’t agree with the basis of the suit? My understanding is that attempts to put limits on “frivolous” lawsuits are pretty much funded by corporations trying to keep consumers from suing them, while protecting their own ability to sue the shit out of each other, which is far more often the case.

10. Mike M says:

I’m a chemist, and I can say that Phip is in nearly every protein-based food that is grilled (perhaps even including grilled tofu). This seems alot like going after Toyota, because exhaust from their cars contains CO2, which contributes to global warming. Or their cars run on gasoline, which is toxic. Besides not considering the issue of dose, this is selective, at best.

Cheers,

Mike

11. Charlie_Hamsandwich says:

AFP, who reported this story, pretty much just rewrote the press release from the PCRM.
    As with so many AFP stories, I’m not sure it’s really news, as it’s not really reported, just regurgitated.

This reminds me of the recent hullabaloo over acrylamide in baked products. Acrylamide is a nasty neurotoxin, may be a carcinogen, and is found in just about everything that’s been baked or somehow browned.

That said, is it really worth labelling every food that contains naturally occuring trace carcinogens? I’m not sure that’s what Prop 65 was really meant for.

If all those graduate biochem classes I took are right, water and oxygen are also pretty good at damaging DNA. Should we label products containing water and oxygen?

12. Triteon says:

On subject, tangentially: there is an excellent article in this month’s National Geographic, “Pollution Within: Our Toxic Homes”, discussing the compounds found in our bodies and where they come from.

13. cvbiotech says:

Discover Xango today!

14. cvbiotech says:

First of all, there is NO healthy choice at McDonald’s or any other fast food restaurant. Don’t get me wrong, I go there plenty but go there looking for a full belly not a healthy meal.

I for one love grilling and grilled meat — I guess I’ll take the risk. I mean come’on, give me a break. There are some great supplements on the market to help offset the free radical damage and inflammation.

Dave