Comments

1. FMF says:

Yes, it’s unfortunate that you have to go to these lengths to talk to a human being. Consider it a sign that you shouldn’t be doing business with this company.

2. segfault, registered cat offender says:

“Capitol One?” “..chare him $10?”

Did you mean:
    “Capital One” and “…charge him $10…”

3. fudoshin says:

Actually, they charge you $10 to make a payment using the automated phone system. To have an actual human being take your payment, it’s something like $14.95. It’s free to pay your bill online and they encourage that; however, if you are having problems with the website, it’s possible to get them to waive the phone payment fee. Doesn’t hurt to ask!

Also, the retention department for Capital One does have a direct line. Just ask them for it next time you get a human on the phone.

Another tip: it doesn’t hurt to call up the retention department and ask for a lower APR or annual fee waiver. These are bargaining chips they use to keep your account, and if your account is eligible, they’ll do it.

4. bjm says:

I’ve never had a problem getting to a human at Capital One.

But the phenomena of charging huge fees to make a payment by phone seems to be cropping up more and more. So, I’m to pay $15 for the privilege of saving you the expense of processing a physical check?

5. marc.andrews says:

So, the GetHuman database http://www.gethuman.com/us/ in no longer valid for Captial One?

Maybe try the tips from http://www.gethuman.com/tips.html

6. usedtoretain says:

I worked for a large cable company in the retention or cancellation department. I have no idea why companies are set up this way. It was very frustrating to us that other departments could/would not do the simplest of helpful things, because they knew that our department could take care of everything. We had no magic buttons. No special promotions. We just got marked down, if we cancelled customers. That’s it. It was also the only way for our customers to get someone in the US guaranteed. It’s not fun for anyone involved. Except for the execs who are getting more from outsourcing. That’s it.

7. LN says:

I can help with this. The most likely reason for the credit card rejection is oddly enough, designed to help protect you–against stolen credit card charges. This happened to me twice when I was traveling. I was told by the CC company they do that in case the card is stolen. Both times I was out of my home state so it made sense.

He said all I needed to do the next time is call them in advance of my travels to alert them I will be traveling and when/where. Worked like a charm and I’ve never had that happen again.