GXCF20E Water Cooler Of Infamy

Here’s another old-skool cut, currently top of the Google charts when you search for “GXCF20E.” It’s GE’s water cooler and it’s hard to put in without spilling water on your fax machine placed precariously next to 5 gallons of water. Click to see video.

Video subject Jakob Lodwick’s first complaint, of course, completely neglects page 4 of the GXCF20E Water Cooler manual.

manualpage.jpg

However, Lodwick says, “The problem is, not all water bottles have a center plug. In fact, it’s quite common for there to be no center plug. Poland Spring, for example, has no center plug on their bottles. “

Lodwick is definitely right about one thing, though, can’t they make ‘em pour faster? Sounds like an industrial design thesis project in the works.

Comments

1. A_B says:

Just a dumb FYI, if you want to make a big water bottle pour faster, maybe you need to pour a two-liter bottle of soda into a punch bowl, swirl it around until there’s a “mini-tornado” thing on the inside. Hold the bottle vertically, and rotate it around like it’s inside a hula-hoop or invisible tube. The “tornado” is actually the air going into the bottle.

2. thrillhouse says:

Pour faster? Are they trying to bong the thing?

Water coolers could use some ID lovin’. As for the spillage, some water coolers don’t have the feature the pops the plug out of the bottle, thus you just have to go for it.

Two ways to avoid spilling.
    1> Fast. We had an intern who could swing that jug like none other and with the centrifugal force pushing the water out to the closed end, he’d land the neck square on top without spilling a drop. Tho he did miss once… not good.

2> Slow. Later we had an employee who would hold it upright and slowly pour some into the cooler like he was pouring a giant glass of water. He’d slowly, but constantly rotate the jug upside down without any drama. Much better.

3. Falconfire says:

Most water jugs dont use the center plug, its a dumb design decision to think they would when most dont.

4. homerjay says:

Its fascinating how this crazy little blog goes from battling corporate WalMart shills head-to-head to Youtube videos of watercoolers.

5. Does Lodwick also mention whether the manual has a suggested list of water suppliers, or to make sure that you get the bottles with the little plug?

I’m all for “consumer reports” but this seems more like those infomercials where you see a totally inept housewife unable to cut vegetables, strain pasta, or fold and store clothes. “If you’re this stupid around the house, buy our product!”

6. Bah, Consumerist ate my post!

I agree with him on the pour speed, from the sounds on the video, it seems like the machine is using a motor to dispense the water instead of gravity like most of the larger machines do, or maybe chilling the water on the fly? But does the manual state that you should only use bottles with the little peg-hole in them?

I love consumer testing reviews, but this video makes him seem like those inept housewives that can’t seem to sweep a floor, cut vegetables, strain pasta, flip a pancake or fold and store their clothes on those infomercials.

7. RickC says:

Here a tip:

Leave the cap on but wipe it down and use a clean knive to cut an x across the cap.

Then the water will only trickle out while you install the new bottle.

8. LeopardSeal says:

Boo Freaking Hoo…

Two ideas for the moron in the video:

1) Try buying the right kind of water bottles (With the push-in centre cap – You Idiot).

2) Get a haircut.

It’s not rocket science. We have two similar water coolers here and have never had an issue with out supplier getting us the right bottles. The design change is there to avoid the spilling that was common in the old “open-top” bottles.

9. Jakob Lodwick says:

I am “the moron in the video”. I have a reply to internet genius ‘onrampofframp’.

1) I need cold water in my office. I buy a water cooler and subscribe to Poland Spring. Why on EARTH should I, as a consumer, have to deal with compatibility issues?

An ‘open-top’ bottle is unlikely to spill if the cooler has a deep reservoir, which the GE cooler does not.

2) This clip was shot in March, 2005. I have had several haircuts since then. Perhaps you could post a video of yourself talking to the camera and see if any judgmental internet commenters have advice for you.

10. Namrepus221 says:

@onrampofframp

1) Shut up. Not all water suppliers have those type of 5 gallon jugs. If no water supplier can give him a bottle with those push in center bottles what’s he supposed to do?

2 Get a visectomy, onrampofframp. We don’t need more people like you in the gene pool.

11. Here’s the real inside scoop on this bottled water dispenser that I got from the “horse’s mouth” (GE). The Consumerist was right about a “design defect” that has now been fixed, but Jacob’s take on the slowness of the pour might (not sure) have been due to him not letting the water in the new bottle completely fill the resevoir first before he tried to fill his glass.

My post in entitled “GE’s GXCF20E Water Dispenser Disinformation & Misinformation”

12. joe_eskimo says:

Well Well Well… I’m no water engineer, but I can think of several ways to take care of this “problem”, like a previous post that said to cut an “x” in the cap. Another possible solution is to; a: change suppliers (OMG I know how difficult that can be… (weep weep weep)), or there is this neat web-site called e-bay, where you can buy and sell things at auction. I own one of these “terrible” coolers, and I think it’s great. Of course, I know about e-bay and have a water supplier that offers valved caps. I can get them at my local po-dunk grocery store. I do own other GE products that I’m less than satisfied with and simply choose to buy elswhere in the future instead of trashing the manufacturer for a “defect” that can be worked around. Imagine the first person to pick up a DVD player and whine it didn’t play his VHS cassettes. Grow up already.

13. Anonymous says:

I remove the plastic lid then cover the top with a small piece of saran wrap then turn the bottle over and poke it through the plug. I use the Zephyrhills water bottle with my GE Profile. You can remove the plastic when the bottle is empty.