Refreshing: Limewire Sues the RIAA

In a move as refreshing as a cool summer breeze, the pirates from Limewire are sueing the RIAA for anti-trust violations and a bunch of other cool shit.

“LimeWire now charges the record companies with colluding to create a monopoly over the digital distribution of copyrighted music. The record companies “have engaged in these unfair business practices for the specific purpose of eliminating sources of decentralized peer-to-peer file sharing and acquiring a monopoly over digital distribution of commercially valuable copyrighted music and movie content,” the lawsuit reads.”

Limewire is asking for a jury trial, which is great because you know that’s going to be the O.J. Trial for nerds. We at Consumerist are in favor of settling the matter on “Judge Reinhold”.

Comments

1. RumorsDaily says:

You mean Mock Trail with J. Reinhold?

2. Buga says:

I dont think any Judge would appreciate anything settled “on” them.

Long live horrible Java app’s! Go LimeWire!

3. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

My Name is Judge!

4. I’m not a genius on law, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I’m not sure how Limewire can claim that they’ve had “$476 million” dollars worth of “damages” considering their business model.

It’s a countersuit, so I’m not sure if this is really “refreshing” news, or more of the usual legal dancing that businesses often do when going through lawsuit hoops.

5. RogueSophist says:

Was the Gawker copy editor asleep at the wheel with this story? You’re making my eyes bleed with misspellings, mysterious quotes, and misplaced periods.

6. Jesse McBesse says:

Suing with an “e,” huh?

7. Smoking Pope says:

They should just start suing random people at the RIAA. “Our records indicate that you have used your computer to commit anti-trust violations. You can settle through our anti-trust violation center in the next 60 days. After that, you’ll be going to court.”

I can see the outcry: “I’m 72 years old! I don’t know how to commit an anti-trust violation! It must have been my grandkids!”

8. iameleveneight says:

/cry

Oh Arrested Development, how I miss you and your genious…

9. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Yes, it’s only a countersuit in an already pending lawsuit, but I did pony up the $18.88 for a copy of LimeWire Pro as a result of this news item.

10. AppTechie says:

Just….plain….awesome….

‘Bout time someone stuck it back in the RIAA’s craw. None of this crap would have happened in the first place if they had just embraced it when it first came out. Kings of backpedalling….and being asses.

11. Smoking Pope says:

@AppTechie: Amen. “No, we’re not going to embrace technology! We’re too busy trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube!” Morons.

12. I’m not a genius on law, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I’m not sure how Limewire can claim that they’ve had “$476 million” dollars worth of “damages” considering their business model.

Well…one could ask the same question of the RIAA and MPAA’s claims of the billions of $ “lost to piracy” every year.

We all know it’s bullshit, it’s just a matter of who can pile it higher and deeper.

At the very least this will cost the RIAA money and hopefully keep their legal team busy NOT suing grandmas and 14 y/o girls. At the most, we can hope Limewire wins, and the RIAA, MPAA and every other trade association monopoly gets dragged into Federal anti-trust suits over the next 10 years. Ending, in what we can all hope, is the dissolution of these tyrannical potentates.

13. krcasey says:

I’d cast a vote that Lance Ito preside this trial.

14. Plasmafire says:

The RIAA and MPAA are now both Illegal monopolies that deserve to have someone file an antitrust lawsuit against them.

15. cstatman says:

i am so tired of RIAA and the ‘big brother’ nation we are becoming