Automotive Jihad?

Reader Robin sends in this tip about a car dealership in Ohio that is coming under fire for a radio ad in which it declares “jihad on the automotive market.” From the AP:

“Several stations rejected the spot from Dennis Mitsubishi, which boasts that sales representatives wearing “burqas” – head-to-toe traditional dress for Islamic women – will sell vehicles that can “comfortably seat 12 jihadists in the back.”

“We firmly believe the ad does not in any way disrespect any religion or culture, but we feel, I guess, that maybe poking a little fun at radical extremists is fair game,” dealership president Keith Dennis said on Saturday. “It was our intention to craft something around some of the buzzwords of the day and give everyone a good chuckle and be a little bit of a tension reliever.”

Unfortunately for Keith, the Columbus chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations wasn’t laughing.

“Using that as a promotional pitch when so many are dying from the criminal activity of suicide bombers, that’s not funny,” chapter president Asma Mobin-Uddin said. “I don’t think it’s appropriate when it causes real pain. It exploits or promotes misunderstanding in terms already misunderstood or misused.”

Here are a few more choice quotes from the rejected radio spot:

“Our prices are lower than the evildoers’ every day. Just ask the pope!”

“Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies.”

Oh dear.

Comments

1. JackieTreehorn says:

Prices so low, you won’t even care when it explodes in a crowded marketplace!

2. He says:

Are suicide bombers really criminals? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one prosecuted. Failed suicide bombers, sure, but not the ones that actually live up to their title (ha).

That said, does anybody have a tape of the ad?

3. The_Truth says:

I can guarantee you their marketing guy just got a huge raise…

All the local stations are talking about it, its on the internet, and they are all talking about “Dennis Mitsubishi”.

I need to come up with something like that…

4. RandomHookup says:

We firmly believe the ad does not in any way disrespect any religion or culture, well, except for those towel heads and Ah-rabs, but they have a great sense of humor about this kinda stuff.

5. homerjay says:

Oh the balls on those people! That is quite a marketing strategy.

6. Clearly from the Michael Scott school of customer relations.

How come Chris Rock can do a routine, and everybody finds it hilarious and groundbreaking, then I go and do the exact same routine, same comedic timing, and people file a complaint to Corporate? Is it because I’m white and Chris is black?

7. homerjay says:

Wow, Way to site my new favorite show! Excellent point.

8. adamondi says:

My thoughts exactly, homerjay. I vote that Keith Dennis shall forever be known as Keith “Titanium Cojones” Dennis.

A stupid publicity stunt is one thing, but intentionally offending an entire religion (especially with how things are going in the world lately) either takes huge balls, or a complete lack of brains. I am wagering that good old “Titanium Cojones” has both.

9. but intentionally offending an entire religion (especially with how things are going in the world lately) either takes huge balls, or a complete lack of brains.

Kinda funny how we can insult every other religion in this world with relative impunity, but god forbid (excuse the pun) we parody the muslims, they’ll blow up your house! Maybe we’re not parodying, we’re just calling it like it is!

10. Kat says:

That is so tasteless that they had to have done it on purpose. They’re getting free publicity now.

11. RandomHookup says:

crayonshinobi— oh, yes… parodying Xtians and Jews at a retail establishment is done all the time in this country. I remember the Mormon Days celebration at Sizzler– buy 12 meals for the price of 8. Extra wives eat for free!