Update: Breastfeeders Unite and Take Over

The Brooklyn mom who was threatening a nurse-in at the Times Square Toys R Us has gone and done it! How many mothers showed up is a matter of some dispute (anywhere from 40-300), but by all accounts they where lactating up a storm. From the Daily News:

“I was at a Petco and they told me to go to the bathroom because it was making the customers uncomfortable,” said Jessica Pierre, 30. “I told them, ‘You don’t eat lunch in the bathroom and neither will my daughter.”

Toys R Us attempted to calm down the mothers, but by all accounts they were having none of it:

“When a Toys “R” Us worker tried to make nice by offering protesters water bottles and baby-friendly Cheerios, 42-year-old Christine Healy of Manhattan dismissed her as a “corporate shill.”

“Toys “R” Us offers us water, and they make a fortune selling formula to mothers,” said Healy, who declared herself a proud resident of the “Upper Breast Side.”

Toys R Us still refutes Meyerson’s story telling the New York Post: ” “Her story, it’s not what we found in our internal review. We have a companywide policy that supports nursing anywhere.”

Yikes! [Via Gothamist]

Comments

1. ElizabethD says:

You know, 15 years ago when I was breastfeeding my baby, i pretty much planned my daily schedule so that I wouldn’t have to breastfeed while out and about. What is the big attraction about going to a store and then plunking yourself down to breastfeed? Shop, get it over with, go home, breastfeed in the comfort and quiet of your home.

2. TPIRman says:

Although the NY Daily News undoubtedly quoted the most obnoxious woman there, I have to say that self-important harpies like Christine Healy sure don’t help what is a perfectly reasonable cause. I wholeheartedly support the effort to get America over its breastfeeding paranoia, but Healy actually managed to make me feel a little bit sorry for Toys ‘R’ Us here. Seriously, just take the Cheerios. It’s an olive branch.

I also was baffled by Meyerson’s whining at the top of the Daily News piece: “The store apologized to me, but I want them to publicly acknowledge they were wrong.” Huh? That’s what an apology IS. I think a little less self-martyrdom would do wonders for Meyerson’s credibility.

3. Kangarara says:

self-righteous bitches

4. Kangarara says:

Err… I mean.. um..

breast-feeding good; corporations bad! [I’m sorry, put down the ‘squirt gun’ .. I’ll be good!]

5. JMC says:

Um… I don’t eat lunch in the bathroom, but I don’t eat lunch in Petco, either…

6. Kat says:

Maybe she should have gone to Babies ‘R’ Us too… would have been even more ironic if they’d told her to stop nursing there!

7. Trai_Dep says:

As a male of the species, I feel left out of this revolution against the junta trying to subjugate our gods-given bodily fluids.

Guys, how about a Sit-In for Semen? Protest for Protein? Fight for Fellatio?

Haven’t experienced a quasi-public display of ejaculatory prowress since, well, middle school (DAMN those single-sex institutions) but anything to keep The Man down. Err, up.

8. robyns says:

From now on I will support any store that has an actual policy against breastfeeding, so that I don’t have to shop around bare-breasted idiots like the ones quoted in these articles.

9. Anonymously says:

This story is worthless without action pics.

10. AcidReign says:

…..Mmm. You go, girls! I love it.