Anger God by Eating Foie Gras

Chicago’s city council drew praise from some quarters, ridicule from others, when it passed a law making foie gras, the enlarged liver of a force-fed goose or duck, illegal. Better yet, the enforcement mechanism of citizen’s arrest was reminiscent of a culinary Charles Bronson movie.

But the backlash has begun. Aldermen are considering a bill to repeal the ban, but it’s no longer about food, or animal rights, or a pissing match between rivals in the City That Works. It’s about God.

“Beyond the Kosher dietary laws, God has told us to do what is ‘good and proper in the eyes of God,'” Rabbi Asher Lopatin of Anshe Sholom B’Nail Israel Congregation wrote to Aldermen Burton F. Natarus (42nd) and Bernard Stone (50th). “The cruelty inflicted on animals in the production of foie gras is unspeakable. It is undeniably disgusting in the eyes of God and in the eyes of any civilized person.”

Threats like that are enough to drive you to drink. Which inflates the liver… hmm.

So how cruel is foie gras production really? Read a firsthand account by an American witnessing the process at a farm in France, and decide for yourself.

Jewish leaders: Overturning foie gras ban could anger God [Chicago Sun-Times]

Comments

1. YodaYid says:

I’m not sure why it’s a big deal that a religious leader is making a religious statement. Like any citizen, he is expressing his thoughts and beliefs on the subject, from his perspective. If members of the city council had said this, there might be a story here, but a rabbi saying something rabbinical doesn’t strike me as newsworthy.

2. Itch says:

So what about pork? Should that be banned since there are most likely Muslims in Chicago, to whom consumption would be offensive? Don’t like it, don’t eat it and leave the rest of us alone!

3. flyover says:

I love foie gras.

4. jeblis says:

Never cared for foie gras, but if it pisses off the religious…

5. roki says:

Its all part of the food chain , these animals are breed to be eaten. Nothing worse then what we do to cattle and swine. Eat more veal too.

6. AcilletaM says:

It seems to be making news around here because the two aldermen who are now supporting the repeal (btw, partially because of the ridicule of sites like this one) are also Jewish.

The support for a ban on trans fats in fast food restaurants is also eroding.

*I don’t live in Chicago but rather in one of the northern burbs, so I don’t have to play by their silly ass, nanny rules.

7. I think fois gras is utterly vile, but what I really love about this whole story is how the Chicago City Council has apparently solved all crime and homelessness problems in the city and feels good about moving on to managing menus.

Thank God I moved downstate. We still have the fraud and graft and ridiculousness, but we at least still pretend to be appalled by it.

Hey, if the City Council moved downstate too, I bet they’d find there aren’t any restaurants that serve fois gras here! Problem solved!

8. The Bans says:

I have no idea what foie gras is, but when I do I will shoot all those involve..

9. Closing italic tag