New York City Lets the Bedbugs Bite

The city of New York is experiencing an epidemic of bedbugs with no apparent cause. Officials recently voted down a measure to ban the sale of used mattresses, because, duh, new mattresses are expensive and people need somewhere to sleep.

So where are the bed bugs coming from?

Naturally, the mattress manufacturers blame used mattresses. “The International Sleep Products Association, the trade association for mattress manufacturers, said yesterday that it supported a ban on the sale of reconditioned mattresses. “The filth from the used mattress that lies just beneath the new fabric cover of a reconditioned product can be astounding,” said Ryan Trainer, a lawyer for the association.”

“Exterminators have been grappling with how to suppress the infestations. Several of them testified yesterday, and Cindy Mannes, of the National Pest Management Association, said in a telephone interview that it recorded a 71 percent increase from 2000 to 2005 in the number of exterminators who had received calls about bedbugs.

Councilman Leroy G. Comrie Jr. of Queens, who presided over the hearing, said that residents often blame themselves for infestations. The insects easily crawl between homes through walls, floors and ceilings.”

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. Oh, god. Yuck.

Via The New York Times.
and The New York Sun

Comments

1. Yaotl says:

My wife and I lived with bedbugs for a year and a half. They are the foulest insect I have ever had the deal with. We moved apartments in June and got rid of out boxspring, put a wraparound cover over the mattress after a thorough vacumming and haven’t seen one since. (Probably just jinxed myself right there.) A few days ago though, I saw three twin mattresses on our block on the curb with evidence of bedbugs. I’m hoping they aren’t going to travel north.

2. adamondi says:

Ah, the joys of unbelievably high population density.

There are several things that I simply will not buy used. #1: Underwear. #2: Mattresses. #3: Condoms. If you really think about it, the same reason not to buy used applies to all three.

3. Yaotl says:

Nothing like waking up all of a sudden at night, attempt to scratch an itch on your neck and pop open a bedbug getting his meal.

4. Kluv says:

Indeed, the nastiest sons-a-bitches I’ve ever seen. My friend’s apartment in Queens got nailed with them, and he had the nastiest bites/sores/grossness I’ve seen in quite some time.

Filthy animals.

5. konstantConsumer says:

dirty hipsters are probably to blame. BATHE, you fuckers.

6. Paula says:

Mega-yuck. I don’t even know what a bedbug is, but sounds disgusting.

7. Actually there’s infestations breaking out everywhere. There were some mentioned here in Colorado.

It has nothing to do with hygiene either.

8. AcidReign says:

…..Bring back DDT. Now. I’d rather have cancer than live with bedbugs.

9. Manue says:

Unfortunately, bedbugs are not living only in mattresses… these things can survive for more than a year without any food.

If you want to see some pictures, what’s that bug site is good: http://whatsthatbug.com/bedbug.html
    (there’s even a picture of “Blood on Sheets sign of Bedbugs!!”)