Drink Yourself Rich

How to get ahead in business? Skip college. Skip the job fair. Head straight to the old man bar at the corner and start passing out the business cards.

New research shows that drinkers earn more than non-drinkers, and that visiting a bar correlates with even higher pay. Sweet success comes at the bottom of a dirty glass.

And all along I thought that alcohol only improved your looks, smarts, and sexual prowess. Who knew the fiduciary benefits could be this tangible?

Time to start getting receipts from the bartender, and writing off the night as job training related expenses.

Comments

1. This is one of those research studies where it seems to be missing the point. Two words: Social networking.

People who go to bars are more often to socialize with other people. ie: These people are going to be better at social networking. The drinking probably has very little to do with it overall.

But hey if they didn’t sensationalize the headlines on those studies nobody would pay attention.

2. SharkJumper says:

Could there be a reverse correlation here? I mean have you seen how much drinks cost at bars and sports stadiums? Only the wealthy can afford them.

3. BostonBum says:

As someone who received his degree in economics, professor Stringer and this writer obviously forgot that correlation does not (necessarily) mean causation.

“men, who get an additional income boost from drinking in bars”

Or, could it be that bars get higher patronage from people with higher incomes? Something tells me that the guy making $50,000 would have an easier time paying $5.00 for a beer at a downtown bar than a guy working a retail job and pulling in $20,000. That guy might choose to stay at home and buy an entire 6-pack with that $5.00.

Read Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt to see lots of other cool examples of correlation and causation. He explains how abortion might be a major contributor to less crime in the mid-to-late 90’s.

4. Anonymously says:

Even if you do make more money, you end up drinking it away. Plus you’ve got to pay for that new liver 30 years from now.

5. Boston: Excellent point! I mean there have been religions that have sprung out of that kind of correlation. Just look at the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” for instance ;)

FSM purports that global warming is directly related to the decrease in pirates over the last few centuries. There are even graphs that prove IRREFUTABLY that the global temperature has gone up increasingly as pirates have diminished along the ocean waters. You can’t argue with graphs!!

6. d0x says:

I dont know about buying an entire six pack for $5, that doesnt sound like tasty beer! Now a $7 six pack..mmm mm good.

I think you guys hit it spot on, guys who make more money are more likely to drink in a bar on a regular basis then guys who dont.

7. BostonBum says:

There, we’ve got another one! People who drink imported beer get a boost in income!

Reminds me of a great Simpsons episode:

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The “Bear Patrol” is working like a charm!
    Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: [uncomprehendingly] Thanks, honey.
    Lisa: By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Hmm. How does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn’t work; it’s just a stupid rock!
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
    Homer: (pause) Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

8. iota says:

I just like this article because they gave it the tag “old man bars”. that made me giggle.

9. denki says:

You all go on talking about your fancy-schmansy $5-7 a six-pack beers, where i am stuck in Tokyo where a 6er costs about 10 bucks…unless you choose malt liquor, but that does hell on your insides.

I once went to a bar, sat down, ordered myself a beer. The guy sitting next to me started talking about scooters and mods style, and next thing you know I model in 2 scooter magazines, model for a punk rock magazine, interview the band AFI and next month interview the Pogues (if I’m still in town). If it weren’t for that bar and that $5 beer (500 yen beer), then I wouldn’t have gotten all these jobs…that so far pay shit. But it’s fun.