Adweek Bilks Blogger

PR blog maven B.L. Ochman says Adweek screwed her over by charging her $19.95 a month for a magazine subscription she didn’t order.

When she called to complain, Adweek agreed to the error but would only refund 3 months. They’ve been charging her for nine. “It’s company policy” to only refund 3, they told Ochman.

Adweek picked the wrong gal to mess with. Ochman used to have a business where she complained to businesses and got customer service issues resolved on her client’s behalf.

She’s already, “wrote a letter reporting the fraud to MasterCard, looked up VNU Media and saw that Bob Krakoff is the CEO, sent him a copy, cc’d Elliot Spitzer, etc, etc.” and won’t stop until the bodies drop.

Comments

1. Ubermaus says:

They charged her for NINE MONTHS and she failed to notice it? Cry me a river, lady. “Beware of subscribing to email newsletters on media sites”? How about checking your credit card statement every month, like a grown-up.

2. AppTechie says:

Regardless, it is still essentially theft as no product or service was provided for the $20/month. She should call the Attorney General and have a letter sent…I would bet that the refund would be fairly forthcoming after that…

Uber…not everyone carries a balance on their card, nor charges on their card every month. Some of us like to use cash and don’t use a credit card except in the case of wanting that extra level of protection. If you rarely use your card, then you wouldn’t check your statement every month. On top of that…sometimes people miss things, give the lady a break..

3. Amy Alkon says:

I don’t care if you never check your statement, Ubermaus — if you didn’t order it you shouldn’t pay for it. I don’t know about you, but I work my ass off doing my actual job. Sometimes the make-work of other people falls through the cracks. For a while, anyway.

4. Jesse McBesse says:

I’m with Uber! Even if you don’t use your card on a regular basis, you should still check your freakin statement for this very reason. And an oversight for one month is definitely understandable. Two months? Ok… but NINE months?? Not noticing something for NINE MONTHS??? That’s her problem!

5. RandomHookup says:

Well, it is stupid on her part, but that doesn’t excuse the action by AdWeek. She should just dispute it with her credit card. Shoot, I thought she was getting one of those comp subs to AdWeek (even I qualified for one) and was getting charged for the freebie. That’s where she would have a hard time showing she was owed money back.

She has now run a negative ad for AdWeek, so I’m sure the word will get to the right person pronto.

6. AcidReign says:

…..Even if you never use the card, and yeah, I know there’s some legalese about a $50 fraud limit, but…

…..This thing’s got your name on it and it’s a big open line of credit. You’ve gotta read the statement.

…..Ticketmaster is a good way inadvertantly sign up for monthly charges on your credit card, BTW.

7. matto says:

While anyone not noticing a $20 charge on her statement for nine months is of questionable intelligence, VNU media are without doubt a cluster of dipshits of especially limited skill.

I recently paid $300 for a subscription to THR, after they sent me a free trial two-week sub. I paid via credit card on their web site. My card was debited for the subscription. Imagine my surprise when I started getting overdue notices from them. When I called the subscription department to complain, I got some thimbleheaded high-school dropout paperpusher who had no interest in helping.

I gave her the CC approval code. I gave her the date. She said that she couldn’t help, because it wasnt “in the system.” Her manager would call me back. Needless to say, she didn’t. After several days of badgering, they said I’d need to fax over my credit card statement to prove I paid. UNBELIEVABLE.

After faxing over a statement with all but the single transaction blanked out (which they agreed was sufficient- hell, I could have made it in Word, I had to call back for status for three more days until, armed with this additional information which I had already previously given them, they magically “found it in the system”.

A more incompetent bunch of lazy, insufferable louts would be hard to find.